M&M 3e Re-recruitment - (closed)

Shayuri

First Post
The dazzle can manifest either as a large flash of light, or as a blinding beam or beams within an area. She has a great deal of control over how and where it manifests, and that seemed like a very expedient way to model that. I considered a shapeable area as well, but this was simpler to use...no need to determine where each square of effect falls every time.

As for the dangers of array defense, yeah. I'm planning to have some armor value from her equipment that doesn't stack with her Protection when it's active, but gives a little defense when it's not. And with some experience, perhaps I'll move some of that defense out of the array. For now though...I'm gonna give this a try.

I'm hoping her invisibility is of some assistance in making her defense up to par, even in situations where her Protection is unavailable too. :)

Shayuri

First Post
Okay, a finalish build, barring mistakes or glaring flaws. Now with background for both great crunch AND great flavor!

Note, I realize some of her defenses are below PL. That's a design choice on my part. Partly to reflect that she's only fairly recently been a 'warrior,' and partly because I had to make some tough calls on point spending, and I took a chance on this distribution. We'll see how well that works, I guess. :) I'm hoping her concealment and misdirection powers help take some defense pressure off of her saves.

[sblock=Kitsune]Sachiko Ichimura
AKA
Kitsune
Superthief!

[sblock=Background]Sachiko is from a wealthy Japanese family, with a father who serves on the board of a biotech company. She has an older brother who's driven to try to get out of their father's shadow, a doting mother, and a genetic abnormality that resulted in a deterioration of her optic nerves, leading to irreversible blindness by the time she was thirteen. Many treatments were considered, and tried, and finally in desperation her father turned to one of the researchers of the company to use an experimental procedure on her. This failed as well, and Sachiko went blind.

In her eyes, at least.

Sachiko doesn't know if it happened because of something that had always been there before, or if that last strange treatment had unlocked something, but after just a few weeks of darkness, she began to 'see' things. Her therapist assured her it was normal, a kind of visual equivalent of the 'phantom limb' syndrome amputees suffer. Her brain, wired for vision, was making up input to replace what it had lost. At first she accepted that...but as time went on, the 'vision' became clearer. From a simple perception of the presence or absence of light, to an awareness of color, to being able to grasp the dim outlines of objects nearby. After a stern reprimand from her father for not learning properly, Sachiko stopped trying to tell anyone about the development...and soon realized that it gave her some unique advantages.

By the time she was sixteen, her sight was fully restored and she was learning more of how this strange mental vision worked. It was constant, in all directions, though her -attention- was still focused in one location. It was like having all-around peripheral vision, and she didn't have to move her head or eyes to change her focus. With practice, this vision became even better than her eyes had ever been.

It didn't stop there though. Sachiko became aware that the same sense she possessed that 'detected' light could be used like a muscle. Not simply passive, it could reach out and change light. Bend its path. Absorb it away. Create it from nothing. Developing this power consumed entire summer vacations. While other children played in fields, she practiced over and over making images in midair, all in secret.

The turning point came when she read that 'light' was a different manifestation of the same electromagnetic force that gave objects solidity. When she realized she could manipulate that as well, create a kind of telekinetic effect by moving massless, invisible 'solid' electromagnetic fields...all the possibilities of her strange powers came crashing in on her.

Sachiko wanted for nothing during this time, but she had nothing she wanted. She was pampered and her every need seen to, but she keenly felt the way her parents drew back slightly from her. Her blindness was a repudiation of their genetics, a flaw that did not interrupt their love, but colored their attitudes. Like a princess in a Western fairy tale, she was in a gilded cage in a tower, taken care of but sealed away so she could be forgotten about.

She did not wait to be rescued. Her powers made disobedience simple. Guiding light around herself to make perfect camouflage. Walking on thin 'solid fields' to mute footsteps. The occasional hologram...augmented with an invisible false-solid vibration to make sounds as well...to distract. Sachiko found she could easily leave her room at will, and roam freely. For all the wealth of her family though, she had access to none of it...so she stole some cash off a counter in an unguarded moment. The rush of adrenalin was intoxicating, but even more was the giddy, heady feeling of power. Not that stealing a wallet required superhuman abilities, but rather...power to break free of barriers and walls. Power to assert her will, and do as she pleased instead of what was expected. Sachiko wanted to feel like that more.

Her thefts became more complex, more daring, and almost resulted in disaster several times before she focused on training her body to match her mind's prodigious abilities. It wasn't easy, but the house staff accepted that she knew her way around well enough to walk without a minder within the house, which gave her enough privacy to get some work done. After realizing the limitations of her powers, she invested some of her ill-gotten gains in a protective costume as well. What had at first simply been a jokey disguise she'd sometimes threw over herself became a genuine secret identity: The Kitsune.

Sachiko's exploits continued, and even attracted some superheroic attention though she was able to escape uncaught. Whatever else might have been was interrupted though by the massive alien invasion. Her father's fortunes tumbled, and he was one of the first influential people in Japan to petition for surrender at any cost; a proposal that Japan ultimately had no choice but to accept. Sachiko maintained her double life, but now waged guerrilla war against an occupying force rather than just various heists and thefts.[/sblock]

Abilities: 36pp
STR 0 (0pp)
STA 2 (4pp)
DEX 4 (8pp)
AGI 4 (8pp)
FGT 1 (2pp)
INT 2 (4pp)
AWE 3 (6pp)
PRE 2 (4pp)

Offenses:
Initiative: +4 (4 agi)
Melee Attack: +1 (1 fgt)
Ranged Attack: +4 (4 dex)
Specific Attacks:
- Photokinetic Laser: +12, DC23 (multifire, penetrating 7), 250' rng (indirect 4)

Defenses: (15 pp)
Dodge: +10 (6 base + 4 agi)
Parry: +2 (1 base + 1 fgt) +4 situational
Toughness: +2 (2 sta) +8 situational
Fort +7 (5 base + 2 sta)
Will +6 (3 base + 3 awe)

Skills: (40 ranks) 20pp
Acrobatics +10 (6 ranks + 4 agi)
Deception +10 (8 ranks + 2 Pre)
Insight +7 (4 rank + 3 Awe)
Perception +9 (6 ranks + 3 awe)
Sleight of Hand +8 (4 ranks + 4 dex)
Stealth +8 (4 ranks + 4 agi)
Technology +10 (8 rank + 2 int)

Advantages: 4 pp
Attractive 1
Languages (Japanese) 1
Equipment (5 pts) 1
- Gas Mask (shaped like Japanese kitsune mask) 1pt
- Kevlar bodysuit (protection 2, subtle) 3pts
- Cellphone 1pt
Taunt 1

Powers:
POWERS 74
Morph 3 (any humanoid, Quirk - Does not affect touch), 14pp
- PF: Invisibility (Concealment +6: All Vision, all hearing, PF Selective; 13pp) 1pp
Super Senses (Radius (Sight) 1, Low Light Vision 1, Infrared vision 1) +3 3pp

Photokinesis Array 42pp (40 + 2 AP)
Illusion (Visual + Auditory, Independent) +8 32pp
- Link: Environment 1 (Light: Bright) 2pp/rank; 2pp
- Link: Concealment 2 (Normal Vision, Burst Area, Attack) 3pp/rank; 6pp
PF: Damage 8 (Ranged, Multiattack, Penetrating 7, PF Accurate 4, PF Precise 1, Indirect 4) 1pp
PF: Affliction (Dazzle) 9 (Ranged, Burst Area, Selective Attack, Cumulative, Limited to Vision) 1pp

Telekinetic Array 15pp (12 + 3AP)
Leap +3, Speed +3, Super Movement: Wallcrawling +2, Safe Fall +1, 12pp
PF: Telekinesis (Perception, PF Subtle, PF Precise) +3 1pp
PF: Enhanced Str (sustained, subtle 1) +5, 1pp
PF: Protection (Sustained, Subtle 1) +8; Linked to Enhanced Trait: Parry +4, 1pp

Complications:
Physically Blind - Has congenital condition rendering eyes useless; is completely blind if powers aren't working.
Center of Attention - Likes to feel important, to be noticed; tends to showboat.
Motivation: Life of Comfort - Desires to be wealthy again, live in comfort, and want for nothing...and owe it to no one.
Secret Identity - Sachiko Ichimura is so far unconnected with Kitsune; it would be troublesome for her family if that information were revealed to the invaders now contolling the world.

COST: 36 Abilities + 20 Skills + 4 Advantages + 75 Powers + 15 Defenses = 150/150 [/sblock]

Goldhammer

First Post
Well here's my character. I think she's going to might be a bit more lighthearted than most. She's basically a power house and would make a good meat shield for weaker characters.

[sblock=OniSumo] Fujii Miki
AKA
ONI SUMO

Abilities: 60pp
STR 12 (14-20) (24pp)
STA 14 (16-22) (28pp)
DEX 1 (2pp)
AGI 0 (0pp)
FGT 1 (2pp)
INT 1 (2pp)
AWE 1 (2pp)
PRE 0 (0pp)

Offenses:
Initiative: +0 (0 agi)
Melee Attack: +8 (1 fgt + Close Combat: Unarmed +7)
Ranged Attack: +8 (1 dex + Ranged Combat: Throwing +7)
Specific Attacks:

Defenses: (13 pp)
Dodge: +3 (4 base - 1 size)
Parry: +4 (4 base + 1 fgt - 1 size)
Toughness: +16 (2 sta + 2 Growth)
Fort +16 (14 sta + 2 Growth)
Will +6 (5 base + 1 awe)

Skills: 16pp
Close Combat: Unarmed +8 (7 ranks + 1 Fight)
Expertise: Nerd Stuff +5 (4 ranks + 1 Int)
Insight +6 (5 rank + 1 Awe)
Perception +6 (5 ranks + 1 awe)
Ranged Combat: Throwing +8 (7 rank + 1Dex)
Intimidation +5 (4 ranks +1 Growth)

Advantages: 4 pp
Improved Grab 1
Languages (Japanese) 1
Ultimate Effort (Toughness) 1
Diehard 1

Powers:
POWERS 57

Movement - Safe Fall, Wall Crawling - 4 points
Leaping Rank 8 - 8 points
Immunity Rank 12 (Cold and Heat Damage, Fatigue, Pressure) 12 points
Impervious Toughness Rank 12 - 12 points
Growth Rank 8, Permanent at Rank 2 -(+2 Str, +2 Sta, +1 Intimidation, +2 Mass, , -2 to Stealth, -1 Dodge, -1 Parry) going up to Normal Growth Rank 8 (+8 STR, +8 STA, +4 to Intimidation, +1 Speed, -8 to Stealth, -4 Dodge, -4 Parry, Size 0 ) -16 points
Regeneration 5 ranks Persistent, Source (food) - 5 points

COST: 60 Abilities + 16 Skills + 4 Advantages + 57 Powers + 13 Defences = 150/150

Background:

Miki, a nerdy Japanese girl graduates from her small town High School with dreams of becoming a model. Yet due to her short, chubby figure, she's kicked out every modelling agency she tries to get into. After years of rejection, she turns to an experimental weight loss surgery. Scientists at the 'Divine Waistline' weight lost mega-corp implanted a strange alien organ into her body that would pump her body with an unknown element that would forever keep her slim and pretty.
But after the surgery, they discovered that the organ had malfunctioned. Instead of making her slimmer, it made her fatter. Not only fatter, but bigger and stronger too. Her skin became a monstrous reddish hue. She could leap to great heights and climb tall buildings with her claw-like fingers. Her alien could make her grow even bigger and health Miki's wounds whenever she feed herself. She had become a mountain of a woman, like a great big fat oni sumo.
Miki just laughed, perhaps driven slightly insane by the experience. She was now powerful enough to do whatever she wanted and take whatever she wanted and no one could stop her.
Escaping from Divine Waistline, Miki stole some super stretchy fabric and made herself a colourful super villain outfit. She renamed herself THE ONI SUMO, raider of banks, jewelry stores and chocolate factories, all to satisfy her endless hunger. Yet now that all super heroes have been wiped out and aliens have taken over the world, that short little nerdy girl still inside her wonders 'how long can I stay bad?'

Complications:
Over-sized: Even at her smallest size, Oni Sumo is still towers over people at 8 feet tall. Her bulkiness makes it hard to fit into things designed for normal sized people. This also means she'll stand out in a crowd and will draw attention.

Biggest is best: Oni Sumo is well aware that she's the biggest, fattest criminal in the city and in her mind, that gives her power. She knows that she'll never fit in with normal people after her transformation, so likes to show them just how much more powerful she is than them. She likes to demonstrate just how big she can get, even when it would be a bad idea to do so and bullies those smaller than her. This can lead to her underestimating smaller characters.

I want your respect: On the surface, Oni Sumo wants to feed her greedy, gluttonous lifestyle. She seems to have only a love for money and food. Yet deep down, she longs to be respect by her peers and the public. If she has to get that respect through fear, then so be it. However she is very loyal to her peers who tell her they respect her, even if they secretly don't.

A big fat nerd: Inside this greedy behemoth, beats the heart of shy nerd. Oni Sumo spends her free time reading comics, design cosplay outfits and getting into arguments on the internet. She's sadden that she can no longer be part of that world and her sweet nerdish heart may stop her doing something truly evil. It might make Oni Sumo feel obliged to do something if she witnesses the tyranny of the alien invaders first hand.

The makings of a super-sized solider: Oni Sumo may not know it, but there are factions who might have an interest in her. The Alien invaders may want their organ back, while rogue human factions may want to turn it into a weapon. The Divine Waistline mega-corp may want to get rid of her and scientists that made her before they create too much bad publicity for them. The scientists may ask Oni Sumo to help them if this happened

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Goldhammer

First Post
Okay, a finalish build, barring mistakes or glaring flaws. Now with background for both great crunch AND great flavor!

Note, I realize some of her defenses are below PL. That's a design choice on my part. Partly to reflect that she's only fairly recently been a 'warrior,' and partly because I had to make some tough calls on point spending, and I took a chance on this distribution. We'll see how well that works, I guess. :) I'm hoping her concealment and misdirection powers help take some defense pressure off of her saves.

Pretty impressive to take such a weakness for the sake of background. Still all her light tricks should get her out of trouble. Kevlar bodysuit also helps. A cool character overall. Be interesting to see she can starve off being a cat burglar to fight the alien invaders.

Jemal

Adventurer
Well, the invasion has already pretty much ended, Earth is currently Occupied by the invaders, there's not much of a choice right now. Anybody rich enough for her to steal from is 90% likely to be working for the aliens anyways.

Shayuri

First Post
That and the aliens have earned her personal ire...and they're overbearing bullies, which annoys her. So she has plenty of cause to want to take them down a peg. :)

Goldhammer

First Post
That and the aliens have earned her personal ire...and they're overbearing bullies, which annoys her. So she has plenty of cause to want to take them down a peg. :)

Well my character is a bit of a bully, if only because she wants to be loved and respected.

That reminds me, is there anything I need to change about my character sheet?

Remove ads