M&M 3e Re-recruitment - (closed)

Jemal

Adventurer
VR : Well those're both things you'd have to get rulings on from WD, for sure, I'm just sharing my views on them.

Walking Dad

First Post
Hehe...well, the premise of the game seems cool, but it seems like you guys have your hands full with the applicants you have, without needing to discuss adding another one.

I'll step back and see what else develops on the boards.

Thanks and have fun!
Sorry to see you go. Good luck!

Jemal

Adventurer
SO, WD, any rulings on what VR and I have been discussing?

I believe specifically:
A) whether he could use side-effect on his immunity and have it only affect him when the immunity kicks in,
B) how his minions will work (If they do mob attacks, how you'll feel about him summoning them out of combat, if he can order them all to do the same thing with one command *Makes sense "MINIONS ATTACK"*
C) your thoughts on Transform/Create

Also apologies if it seems like I'm rushing you, I don't mean to.

Walking Dad

First Post
Even with the precise extra, the rules for Create mention that the GM determines the tech limit. The same can be assumed for Transform. So I don't think that it can or should be a solution to all problems. I'm hoping for some leeway when it comes to making 'death'-traps. But beyond that I don't expect to be able to replicate powers with it beyond the Afflictions mention in the powers' text and some Green Lantern tricks. As for having both Transform and Create, there is a lot of overlap, but the rules for how created objects interact with the world seem a lot clearer and better simulate some of the stuff a solid mass of replicator bots might do (the aforementioned GL tricks). Also, to my mind at least, assembling objects out of seemingly thin air (but air that actually has a bunch of nanobots suspended in it) falls well within the purview of comic-book-science nano.
Could you please explain "GL tricks"? Just to get a better feeling of what you want to do.

Yeah, I cut his Regen back and actually upped his normal defenses from those of the first draft build, in an effort to normalize him a bit. Regardless, and mobbed or no, I expect to spend a fair amount of time staggered.
The amount of Regeneration is fine.

I don't see anything about being able to direct them all at once. Certainly not to do different things. And if they are all doing the same thing, then they use the minion rules rather than getting multiple rolls. Also summoning each of the 8 robots or 4 bombots is a standard action.
As said, the minion rule is optional, not the default. Also the Warbot is a full powered heroic summon, Singularity can summon everywhere his remote sensing reaches. And if damaged, can just be resummoned as a standard action. I would still prefer them to be minions, not summons.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I'd be happy to take a flaw specifying that the variable can't be used as an attack alongside active robots. Or I could not take the flaw and simply refrain from the cheese of configuring the variable with the flaws necessary to squeeze an effective (or even semi-effective) attack out of it.
Not much afraid of the attack alongside the robots. That one robot is as powerful as the other characters and can be appearing everywhere is my problem.

---

You can take Jemal's proposal. Side effect will only work when it actually removes the need for a fortitude save.

---

I re-read the construct and ability rules. I will not use this

Constructs without Intellect and Presence are automatons, operating on simple instinct or programmed instructions. They are immune to Will effects and interaction skills and automatically fail Intellect and Presence checks.

but this
Intellect: A creature with no Intellect is an automaton, lacking free will and operating entirely on simple instinct or preprogrammed instructions. Anything with no Intellect is immune to mental effects and interaction skills and has no Will defense.

Presence: Creatures without Presence are unable to interact and immune to interaction skills. They have no Will defense.

So the robots will have no will defense, but immune to mental effects. This means that any effect that is resisted by will, but no mental effect or interaction skill will automatically affect the robot with maximum effect.
And there will be such effects.

Voidrazor

First Post
Jemal already answered the action economy problem. I still don't like the idea that lacking abilities only gives a bonus for NPCs. Your transform is fine, but massivly out of scale.
The GM advantage of his robots not being summons are that they are not able to go anywhere with the character during a stealth mission. If they are damaged it is a bit more inconvenient than just having to re-summon them.

Sorry, I missed this this earlier due to post ninjitsu. I took a look at what I'd be able to afford building the bots with the minion advantage. Here's a draft of the warbot model (there would be 3-4 other bots total, slightly less combat capable, but specialized, and all active under their own intelligence at the same time, with Singularity himself able access to an accurate Create to fight alongside)[sblock]Minion - PL 10

Abilities -16pp
Strength 0, Stamina -, Agility 0, Dexterity 0, Fighting 0, Intellect 0, Awareness 0, Presence -3

Advantages 2pp
Accurate Attack, All-out Attack

Skills 2pp
Perception 4 (+4)

Powers 73pp
Immunity: Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) 30pp
Protection: Protection 10 (+10 Toughness) 10pp
Weapons Array 33pp
. . Affliction 10 (Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 20; Accurate 5: +10, Increased Range: ranged)
. . Cumulative Affliction 10 (DC 20; Accurate 5: +10, Cumulative)
. . Cone Area Damage 10 (DC 25; Cone Area: 60 feet cone, Selective)
. . Damage 10 (DC 25; Increased Range 2: perception)

Offense
Initiative +0
Affliction: Affliction 10, +10 (DC Fort 20)
Affliction: Cumulative Affliction 10, +10 (DC Fort/Will 20)
Damage: Cone Area Damage 10 (DC 25)
Damage: Damage 10 (DC 25)

Defense
Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude Immune, Toughness 10, Will 9

Power Points
Abilities -16 + Powers 73 + Advantages 2 + Skills 2 (4 ranks) + Defenses 29 = 90[/sblock]

He doesn't have any wild cost saving measures. But I hope you see why I think that the minion advantage route is problematic. Since they would be the most expensive part of the character, I would be unhappy when the bots aren't available. But no one would be happy when they are available, because having them all be able to do different things with their own actions would be a pain to manage and ridiculously powerful. I should also mention that, under the summon rules, the warbot and bombots would have to be repaired if damaged. Only the PL 8 variable type ones would be of the 'crunch all you want' variety.

Shayuri

First Post
Hm...I keep coming back to this. My first idea was a psychic, my next idea was a technologist...hence my stated decision to withdraw. Hehe.

But I could try something else, if y'all don't mind another player.

Shayuri

First Post
Well, let me ask this, since you ask. :)

What's the current situation in the game? I mean, broadly speaking. I read the intro, but there's a lot of posts to go through. I get there was an alien invasion in which the superheros were killed because...they're heroes, and did heroic things. Now the villains are picking up the fight.

Have new characters been fighting solo until now? Or are they fresh from Supervillain U? :) Settingwise it sounds like superpowers of various sorts are pretty well known and accepted...

Just looking for places to string hooks to, basically.

Anyway, my first concept is a stealthy sort...a super-thief with some light-manipulation powers. At first I thought having illusions doubles me up too much with Siren, but as I examine Siren more closely, I see there's quite a few differences...not just in their approach to illusions, but also in how they fight and what their skills are. I think they'd be fine.

Second concept is still thiefy, but based on teleportation abilities and various spatial warpin' kind of things...

Still developing details.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
It seems supers have been around for awhile (At least 2nd generation), publicly enough that the aliens knew to take out all the superheros before invading, which is why the supervillains are now filling the "hero tights"... after a fashion.

We all got recruited/saved by Dr Doom... er I mean Destruction... and then he started giving us missions, we've been acting as a kind of guerrilla force against the aliens.
Our last mission was saving The President and his family from execution, and grabbing ourselves a figure to boost morale for the resistance.

I have no problem with another illusionist, but be warned that Siren DOES use her illusions a lot, moreso than her other abilities. If you're cool with the competition though, I am as well.

Edit: Alternately if WD's OK with it, you could 'take over' the illusion job and I could swap that to something else. Siren seems to be one of those 'fluctuating powers' kind of characters that used to pop up around the silver age. Every year or so they had slightly different powers. :p

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Well, my concept with illusions tends to use them for sneakery. She can't do 1000 cubic foot ones. Just small ones. But they're not mental projections; they're manipulations of light, like holograms...so they can be photographed and can't be 'resisted.'

So it's a different take on illusions. She uses them for disguises, and to make distractions and diversions mostly.

Similarly, she has some TK, but can't lift super heavy objects or throw blasts with it. It's good for delicate work, and making illusions seem to be able to manipulate objects...and it can enhance her physical performance when channeled in her body, but that's it.

Last edited:

Remove ads