• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

\m/ The Metal \m/

Herschel

Adventurer
Um..... Three words:
Dragon Force
enough said.

Ummm, the topic is METAL, not masturbatory fanboy crap. ;) (Go to some musician boards and see the bloodletting that erupts over Dragon Force. They make D&D Edition Wars seem almost non-existent.)

Check out the Metal School thread in the off-topic forum. There's some good stuff there. As for gaming music, I'm generally against it as a general practice. I like it in specific, meaningful places but don't like the "wash" of it. I also don't use metal unless I'm doing Cyberpunk-type stuff.

Does this count?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjQYILB7N7U]YouTube - Gary Numan - Metal[/ame]

Hobo "not a metal fan, especially with gaming" spikey

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Dude(s), although Led Zepplin and Deep Purple are great bands, they're not very D&Desque epic metal..

<boggle>

What?

Ramble On
Immigrant Song
The Battle of Evermore
Misty Mountain Hop
Over the Hills and Far Away
No Quarter
Kashmir
Achilles Last Stand
etc.

Led Zeppelin created "D&D-esque epic metal"!

Deep Purple certainly had their moments, too. Stormbringer, for example, or pretty much the entirety of The Book of Taliesyn.

But, Led Zeppelin was all about the D&D.

philotomy and wheeler, I'll have to find out who Red Sparowes and King Diamond are respectively, as I admit I haven't heard of either but they sound cool;).
Depending on how you look at it, Red Sparowes are probably more of a post-metal or heavy post-rock band than what I would normally think of as metal. However, my tastes have kind of gone in the sludge or post-metal direction, lately, especially when I'm prepping D&D material. I like long songs with weird time signatures, songs that build in complexity, minor keys, et cetera.

King Diamond, on the other hand, is classic cheesy (in a good way) metal. He's the singer from Mercyful Fate, so if you like them you'll probably also like King Diamond.

Hammerfall
Hammerfall is a great power metal band. I can't remember the name of the song, but there's a long one where the Venom vocalist has a guest appearance.

Edit: It's "Knights of the 21st Century." I also like "Fury of the Wild" off the same album (Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken).

grufflehead

First Post
If you like Hammerfall, the lead singer also has a solo album (called Cans) and former guitarist Stefan Elmgren has a side project called Full Strike.

Other bands I haven't seen mentioned yet that fit this category include:

- Paragon, Metalium, Virgin Steele, Avantasia, Armored Saint, Arthemis, Bal Sagoth, Bloodbound, Cage, Children of Bodom, Cryonic Temple, Dark Moor, Cydonia, Domine, Doomsword, Dragonhammer, Dragonland, Dreamland, Dungeon, Edenbridge, Falconer, Firewind, Freedom Call, Gamma Ray, Grave Digger, Heavenly, Hyperion, Iron Savior, Jag Panzer, Kamelot, Labyrinth, Luca Turilli, Majesty, Messiah's Kiss, Aska, Arch Enemy, Evergrey, Lost Horizon, Mercenary, Pagan's Mind, Tad Morose, Morifade, Powergod, Primal Fear, Pyramaze, Thunderstone, Rebellion, Stratovarius, Persuader, Twilightning, Savage Circus, Ayreon (and Star One), Mob Rules, Conquest of Steel, Mystic Prophecy, Threshold, Black Majesty, Nocturnal Rites, Omen, Oratory, Pegazus, Powerquest, Powerwolf, Rage, Riot, Sacred Steel, Seven Witches, Sinergy, Stormwarrior, Symphorce, Thy Majestie, White Skull, Wizard.

Loads more but that's just a quick trawl through my playlists ;)

lkjopajdowma

Explorer
I'll second the recommendation for 3 Inches of Blood.

Slough Feg: These guys are fantastic, way underrated. Bonus points - they have a concept album based on the Traveller RPG, and the album art for Down Among the Deadmen is by Erol Otus.

Slough Feg is a favorite of mine. Traveller is a fantastic album.

Have you heard Hammers of Misfortune? Scalzi was a part of the band until the most recent double album, and they're also quite good.

My metal collection is pretty big. Right now I'm digging a new wave of Black Metal (Some of the more traditional black metal is great, too, but wouldn't really fit the "soundtrack" vibe of the thread):

Altar of Plagues
Wolves in the Throne Room
Csejthe
Drudkh
Fen
Skagos
Cobalt

as well as Doom (all sorts):

AHAB
Reverend Bizarre
YOB
Virgin Black

And Instrumental stuff could also make decent soundtrack music, of course:
Pelican (older)
Russian Circles
Serpent Throne

Just a few I don't think I saw listed earlier in the thread that could make some decent background music in certain settings...I listen to plenty of other stuff (metal, and non-metal alike).

As a general rule, I dislike power metal. 3IoB is the only one I really enjoy.

Starman

Adventurer
Avantasia has two new albums out now - The Wicked Symphony and Angel of Babylon. I am downloading both of them today.:D

Flobby

Explorer
Led Zeppin is not epic enough for D&D?

I have no words.

I guess this is pretty silly to argue about but... Sure their lyrics are very D&D but when I picture warriors and wizards and all that groups like Iron Maiden or even Manowar just seem to fit better...

Led Zepplin feels more like stoner music than D&D. To me anyway.

But I totally agree that they paved the way for groups like Maiden and such.

Remove ads