M3: Assassin's Knot (Patlin judging)

Manzanita

First Post
Arness smiles and holds out her hands, palms up. "That is wonderful, Mr. DiSenzio. I think you'll find the business climate in Three Rings to be very friendly. With the wild jungles to the South, and the great interest in exotic animals taken by our Lord Phillip, I think this would be an excellent place to house such an undertaking. There is but a small tax for licensing your business. And I can find someone to help you find a suitable location to set up shop. Welcome to Three Rings."

Tellish raises his eyebrows, and gazes at Rinaldo suspiciously.

Velmont

First Post
"Thank you. But that's one reason I have come here. You see, taxes have the bad tendency of killing new business before even it has started. And I don't make myself illusion. The first year, I won't generate profit. It should come around the second or third year. To solve that problem, I have a solution. My name in this region is yet to be done, but you are someon of influence. I was thinking you could support my idea in front of people who could support my business. I was thinking to ask Prince Philip, but he should be the easiest to convince as I touch one of his passion.

I was thinking to ask other people. One of them would be the Amiral, Duke Jara. He would be a lot harder to convince, but having his support, we surely would have easier time to transport over sea all the exotic animals we can't catch here. I suppose having his support would be a good thing just for teh name of the trading post. After all, isn't it popular in this region?"
asks Rinaldo, looking at Tellish and Arness with an innocent smile, but watching closely there reaction.

jkason

First Post
Velmont said:
"I was thinking to ask other people. One of them would be the Amiral, Duke Jara. He would be a lot harder to convince, but having his support, we surely would have easier time to transport over sea all the exotic animals we can't catch here. I suppose having his support would be a good thing just for teh name of the trading post. After all, isn't it popular in this region?" asks Rinaldo, looking at Tellish and Arness with an innocent smile, but watching closely there reaction.

Eanos suppresses the urge to turn and look at Rinaldo at the gambit he hadn't expected. Instead, he keeps his attention on the others. The merchant clearly has a plan; best to observe as best he can so that they can compare notes when they're finished.

OOC: Sense Motive throughout as the mayor and her people respond to Rinaldo's nudges.

Erekose13

Explorer
ooc: probably an hour should be good, I believe we are visiting different people anyways. Tenebrynn will suggest in impromptu public meeting in the inn, staged to help maintain cover. As KO is a little short on time, we can gloss over that and move on to the castle if you both like.

Manzanita

First Post
OK. Let's assume Tenebrynn and Ashnar have a public conversation in the common room, where they speak of magic books and Ashnar decides to join Tenebrynn in visiting the libraries. Does he have 100 gps? Does Rinaldo have another chunk of change to spare?

Back in the reception area in the castle:

Both Arness and Tellish both seem honestly surprised at Rinaldo's suggestion. "Admiral Antoine Jara?" Arness glances over at Tellish. "Somehow I doubt he'd be willing to lend you his support. Do you know him? Have you heard aught of him of late?"

"Aye. And where are you from, Mr. DiSenzio? Are exotic animals your specialty?" asks Tellish.

Knight Otu

First Post
Manzanita said:
OK. Let's assume Tenebrynn and Ashnar have a public conversation in the common room, where they speak of magic books and Ashnar decides to join Tenebrynn in visiting the libraries. Does he have 100 gps? Does Rinaldo have another chunk of change to spare?
(Ashnar doesn't have 100 gp, he has 487 gp and 5 sp ;) (I still need to deduct a bit money though, I believe). Also, 3 identify-fit pearls. Money shouldn't be the issue.)

Velmont

First Post
"No, I don't know him, but if I can gather support for my project, people from this region, he might be more easily convince than by myself. Also, I will surely have some animals to carry here by boats from foreign countries. Trading ship can be attacked. Having someone ranked in the country's marine would help to make sure the boat reach there destination. And I've always targeted high. I was thinking the same for land transport and ask all the Lords who control lands between here and the capital. More I can have to support me, more the risk is share and less important in one eye, less taxes I will have to pay on road and more protection the caravan will recieve. It is a simple reasoning.

My speciality is trading in general. I've started as a spice trader. Spices can be found in the same region than exotic animals. As spice market started to decline in favor of the large empire, I've turn myself into exotic animals. I've some contact in many countries. Trappers, hunters, animal trainers. No one can know everything, my speciality is bargaining and I leave my contact to know the exact detail about my targets. I've done some sales but I need more firm ground to grow. That's what I seek here.

Well, I'm sorry to hear about that the amiral will be a tough target to convince. Someone in the capital told he was liked by everyone and he was giving it back. I think I'll try to reach him by someone close to him. Anyone close to him I should approach or not approach?

Also, who control the roads between here and the capital? I would need to meet him also. I want safest and cheapest passage over land and sea.

Now, for my establishment, I would need to be in a central place here to have a better visibility. I'm presently living at the Inn. Abraham is a nice man. The building seem a bit old. The city must be an old one. Do you no who build the first house here? I know many village that have build themselves around an Inn who was there only as an halt at first. I could take one building next to the Inn. Any old building that have signification to the villagers. Saving an old building generally attract the sympathie of people.

Finally, do you know a good carpenter and masson. Living animals need special quaters and I would need one, even more if I choose to establish myself in an old building."

Manzanita

First Post
Velmont said:
"No, I don't know him, but if I can gather support for my project, people from this region, he might be more easily convince than by myself. Also, I will surely have some animals to carry here by boats from foreign countries. Trading ship can be attacked. Having someone ranked in the country's marine would help to make sure the boat reach there destination. And I've always targeted high. I was thinking the same for land transport and ask all the Lords who control lands between here and the capital. More I can have to support me, more the risk is share and less important in one eye, less taxes I will have to pay on road and more protection the caravan will recieve. It is a simple reasoning.

"I see." says Arness. "Have you been to Monemvassia? They control the trade lanes and shipping routes around here. Perhaps I could introduce you to someone up there, but I'd want to see how serious you are. I wouldn't want to waste their time."

Velmont said:
"My speciality is trading in general. I've started as a spice trader. Spices can be found in the same region than exotic animals. As spice market started to decline in favor of the large empire, I've turn myself into exotic animals. I've some contact in many countries. Trappers, hunters, animal trainers. No one can know everything, my speciality is bargaining and I leave my contact to know the exact detail about my targets. I've done some sales but I need more firm ground to grow. That's what I seek here.

Well, I'm sorry to hear about that the amiral will be a tough target to convince. Someone in the capital told he was liked by everyone and he was giving it back. I think I'll try to reach him by someone close to him. Anyone close to him I should approach or not approach?

Also, who control the roads between here and the capital? I would need to meet him also. I want safest and cheapest passage over land and sea.

Now, for my establishment, I would need to be in a central place here to have a better visibility. I'm presently living at the Inn. Abraham is a nice man. The building seem a bit old. The city must be an old one. Do you no who build the first house here? I know many village that have build themselves around an Inn who was there only as an halt at first. I could take one building next to the Inn. Any old building that have signification to the villagers. Saving an old building generally attract the sympathie of people.

Finally, do you know a good carpenter and masson. Living animals need special quaters and I would need one, even more if I choose to establish myself in an old building."

"There is only one unoccupied building in town. It is on a good location. It was abandoned & is now under my control. It is in a good location, near the main road. The building just south of the Inn. Have a look on your way out. You could buy it. As for the first buildings, this town was started by Phillip's ancestor, who first built the castle off the coast. The rest..." she shrugs. "who knows what the oldest is on the mainland."

Tellish just sits back and stares at the Merchant.

Velmont

First Post
OOC: I was trying to get information with 'inoffensive' question place among a main discussion. I got not even half of what I wanted to know. I'll need to think a bit of what to tell next if I want to know more.

Erekose13

Explorer
Knight Otu said:
(Ashnar doesn't have 100 gp, he has 487 gp and 5 sp ;) (I still need to deduct a bit money though, I believe). Also, 3 identify-fit pearls. Money shouldn't be the issue.)

ooc: excellent, so Tenebrynn and Ashnar head out to the castle about an hour late appearing as new colleagues interested in similar topics and wishing to pursue further research.

Along the road, Tenebrynn mentions, "I hope that we can find a way around that trap in our rooms, but is there any other information we should look for while there? Perhaps something into the respective histories of the locals and the Admiral and Prince. Oh, our 100gps go towards the purchase of books for the Library in Orussus."

Remove ads