Mac OS X Lion

Aeolius

Adventurer
I installed 10.7 this morning and have been slowly acclimating to the new changes. Thus far, observances are:

‎- The disappearing scroll bar worried me, but you can disable it in System Preferences.
- PowerPC apps will not work in Lion, so I lost Word (my copy was 2-3 versions old)
- Safari is now 64-bit (requires Software Update)
- The new Mail interface is still freaking me out.
- Full Screen Mode is useless, as it disables additional monitors.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
What I find interesting about this OS update is that it is a bridging attempt to redefine the user interaction paradigm. It's no secret that Apple's intent with this OS was to introduce iPad/Touchscreen methodology to their flagship OS in order to create a seamless and integrated user experience across all their products.

What fascinates me about this is that it's an attempt at cultural redefinition. Using a mouse and a keyboard is absolutely a part of modern day culture, and yet they're essentially trying to do away with the mouse entirely and move wholly to a touch-based interface.

Whether you like this or not, you gotta admit that it's a ballsy move on their part. Personally I'm going to try and adapt by forcing myself to relearn how to interact with my computer using a touchpad (I'm buying the Apple touchpad instead of just using my icky Apple mouse) as I want to make up my own mind about whether or not this is a good move on their part, instead of letting everyone else decide for me.

- Full Screen Mode is useless, as it disables additional monitors.

I don't know how as I never looked into it, not having multiple monitors myself, but I know that on some Mac forums I go to that this issue has been discussed and apparently there is a fix within the OS itself (no need for a third-party add-on), to span multiple screens.

Don't quote me on that, though.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
One thing that is already pissing me off about it is that there are two separate sets of mouse gestures. One set for use with the Apple Magic Mouse, and one set for the Apple Trackpad.

That's just beyond retarded.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...

We're considering a bunch of Macs- either iPads or laptops- for my Dad's medical practice as part of a paperless/EMR system. I may have to take a closer look at this new OS before we make any final decisions.

Fast Learner

First Post
What fascinates me about this is that it's an attempt at cultural redefinition. Using a mouse and a keyboard is absolutely a part of modern day culture, and yet they're essentially trying to do away with the mouse entirely and move wholly to a touch-based interface.

Whether you like this or not, you gotta admit that it's a ballsy move on their part.
Indeed, just as they did with the attempt to redefine it in 1984 when the command line was simply how computers worked. All computers, always.

I think iOS on the iPad was a similar move. Sure you could buy a touchscreen tablet running Windows, but it used all the same metaphors as other PCs -- a desktop, files and folders, etc., the one they popularized with the Mac -- instead of something completely different. They're still working to eliminate the "file" concept with iCloud.

Not everyone's going to like what they do, but ballsy moves are something Apple isn't shy about.

Personally I'm going to try and adapt by forcing myself to relearn how to interact with my computer using a touchpad (I'm buying the Apple touchpad instead of just using my icky Apple mouse) as I want to make up my own mind about whether or not this is a good move on their part, instead of letting everyone else decide for me.
I bought one last week in preparation, in case the supply got low this week.

Fast Learner

First Post
We're considering a bunch of Macs- either iPads or laptops- for my Dad's medical practice as part of a paperless/EMR system. I may have to take a closer look at this new OS before we make any final decisions.
FWIW, all of the new Lion features are entirely optional; they're available but you can use all of the same familiar desktop metaphors as before, no penalty. You just don't get the advantages of the new thinking.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
but ballsy moves are something Apple isn't shy about.

Tell me about it. I still remember looking around in confusion at my machine (many years ago) looking for the floppy drive. My previous Mac had one- and I had lots of floppies- and all of the PCs I saw at the time had 'em. WHERE WAS MY FLOPPY DRIVE?!?!?

I got over it.

Last edited:

fanboy2000

Adventurer
Tell me about it. I still remember looking around in confusion at my machine (many years ago) looking for the floppy drive. My previous Mac had one- and I had lots of floppies- and all of the PCs I saw at the time had 'em. WHERE WAS MY FLOPPY DRIVE?!?!?

I got over it.
Now it's starting to look like DVD drives are going away. I suppose I'll get over that to.

Kzach

Banned
Banned
Now it's starting to look like DVD drives are going away. I suppose I'll get over that to.

The thing with DVD and Bluray is that the entire point of them is becoming obsolete. Want to rent a movie? Download it (legally!). Want to back up some data? Store it on some cheap-ass and portable HDD's. Want to install software? Download it (legally!). Want to swap a file with someone? Air Drop or USB stick.

For people who are sticklers about data integrity, this is an issue, but for the rest of us, it's simply far more convenient to ignore DVD/BR altogether. I honestly can't remember the last time I used by iMac's Superdrive. If a new generation of iMacs came out tomorrow without a Superdrive, I simply wouldn't care.

On a side-note, Apple is also heading towards wireless battery charging using desktop Macs as a central recharging hub for your iPad/iPhone/iPod/Trackpad/Mouse/Keyboard. They have the technology already, it's just a matter of time before they implement it across their range.

I added that just 'cause I thought it was super cool :)

EDIT: Oh, and another thing that is bugging me about Lion is the fullscreen concept that doesn't allow multiple windows. I'm sorry but until my iMac can swivel on its base to portrait, then having a browser, mail client, word document, etc. span 2560 pixels across is NOT a benefit.

Remove ads