Mad at Paizo?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I'm not mad at Paizo. They've decided to stop supporting a product I was buying, in favor of a product I don't like and have no use for. Third Party Publishers are picking up the slack and continuing to provide new content for the product I liked... content I largely like better than the original, deprecated materials.

Story sounds familiar for some reason, like I've been here before.

Jharet

Explorer
I've had time to process this since Second Edition was announced last year. I'm not mad at Paizo. As a company, they have to publish products to survive. I'm just annoyed by the creation of Second Edition for a game that I felt was perfect - for me. Yes, I can keep playing P1E, but the questions start to arise as to how the edition change will affect my games and my resources.

I've informed my players that I'm running P1E. I bought all of the books, several PDFs and Hero Lab data packages to match. This is too much of an investment to just switch to something because it's new and shiny.

Both of my active GMs already started running Second Edition games, which cost me the chance to play in one. Fortunately, the second GM still runs his ongoing P1E game in addition to his new 2E game.

The other question becomes how long will my Hero Lab be maintained before Wolfslair decides to no longer support it? How long will the d20pfsrd be maintained online? How long will reviewers once dedicated to Pathfinder material still write about unknown P1E material? How long until my second GM decides he doesn't want to run P1E anymore?

Simply put, I'm not rebuying a bookcase full of books no matter what. Paizo lost me as a customer with the exception of pawns, minis and maps because they decided to no longer create products for me. If their answer is that I should rebuy all of those books, it will never happen. I'll just quit playing altogether.

Green Onceler

Explorer
Paizo lost me as a customer with the exception of pawns, minis and maps because they decided to no longer create products for me.

I am also very unenthusiastic to rebuy all the books again for what I see as, at best, questionable benefit.

I'm still a Starfinder customer and I'll keep buying the Flip Tiles line. Not going to buy 2e Pawns, though. Something about 2e's art really doesn't appeal to me.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
If you’ve bought the data packs from hero labs for the various 1e stuff, it’s good to go. I haven’t bought any since 2013 and mine loads and just fine.

as far as the rebuying books sentiments....I understand that as well. It’s a tough decision every time a game system you like reboots. I was slow to move to 3e since we like 2e for 11 years. Eventually we changed slowly to a 3e game then pathfinder then 5e. Hopefully you keep a group going that enjoys P1e for as long as you and the group is having fun as that’s all that really matters at the end of a session.

S'mon

Legend
On my side, it's not just the art, there is something amiss about this but I can't pinpointed it (yet).

Most of The Iconics look like they've been hit by an Energy Drain spell! :-O

1e:

2e:
20190306-Amiri.jpg

I'm definitely not buying another bookshelf-full of Pathfinder material. I guess if my PF2 GM succeeds in her wicked plan to get me hooked on the game I may buy the core book & bestiary eventually.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Wayne didn’t put much effort in making it look updated. Axe on the hip, stance and holding the sword but then again, he might have been told to make it look similar to the previous edition. 2nd look, stance is similar but slouchy looking in the 2e drawing.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Most of The Iconics look like they've been hit by an Energy Drain spell! :-O

1e:

2e:
20190306-Amiri.jpg

I'm definitely not buying another bookshelf-full of Pathfinder material. I guess if my PF2 GM succeeds in her wicked plan to get me hooked on the game I may buy the core book & bestiary eventually.

Those are both pretty painfully old fashioned....

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
Those are both pretty painfully old fashioned....

Wayne's style is so distinct, I'm not sure if you can really say it's "old fashioned". His style isn't really typical of a particular era in fantasy art; it's kind of just its own thing. I don't think any other artists really produced or produce art in a similar style.

Having said that, his art was so ubiquitous in fantasy gaming products from 2000-2010 (Magic cards, World of Warcraft TCG, D&D (particularly Eberron), Pathfinder, etc.) that I can see why you'd have strong associations between his art and a particular era of fantasy gaming. He used to be very much in vogue, but is perhaps less so these days.

Last edited:

Remove ads