D&D 5E Madness of Juiblex

Iosue

Legend
A little tidbit preview from the D&D Twitter feed that I hadn't seen posted yet.

CNqrVkeUsAAFAGm.png

It gives an idea of the kinds of madness characters might encounter. Interestingly, I note that none of it is mechanical.

Iosue

Legend
I should revise what I said about it not tied to mechanics. It looks like the demon-madness is being tied to the BIFT system, meaning you get Inspiration for role-playing the madness. Nice.

pukunui

Legend
I should revise what I said about it not tied to mechanics. It looks like the demon-madness is being tied to the BIFT system, meaning you get Inspiration for role-playing the madness. Nice.
Yeah. They're essentially just variations on the Abyssal Corruption optional rule in the DMG.

EDIT: On a side note, was anyone else surprised by the new pronunciation of "Juiblex" (namely, "JOO-ee-blex")? According to the EN World Pronunciation Guide, which refers to a pronunciation guide from Dragon #93, it's meant to be "JOO-blex" (as in "juice") or "ZHOO-blex".

Last edited:

EDIT: On a side note, was anyone else surprised by the new pronunciation of "Juiblex" (namely, "JOO-ee-blex")? According to the EN World Pronunciation Guide, which refers to a pronunciation guide from Dragon #93, it's meant to be "JOO-blex" (as in "juice") or "ZHOO-blex".

Yes, but I've only heard it pronounced as 'JOO-blex' in practice.

Wik

First Post
Stuff like this is a perfect way to handle madness - it's player focused, and doesn't really take away possession of their character. I HATE when a GM throws something that changes how my character thinks in the long term at me. Blegh.

pukunui

Legend
Stuff like this is a perfect way to handle madness - it's player focused, and doesn't really take away possession of their character. I HATE when a GM throws something that changes how my character thinks in the long term at me. Blegh.
Do you mean "changes how my character acts"? Cos these flaws *do* change how your character *thinks*; it's just that it's up to you to determine whether or not they act on it.

Wik

First Post
Do you mean "changes how my character acts"? Cos these flaws *do* change how your character *thinks*; it's just that it's up to you to determine whether or not they act on it.

Exactly what I mean. It's a mental issue my character gets, but it's up to me as a player to decide how to portray it... and if I do, I get rewarded for doing so!

Compare this to the GM saying "hey. According to this table, you're now a kleptomaniac" and then, three minutes later, having the GM take over my character because I didn't steal the paladin's sword.

Remove ads