• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Creation Question

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
You're more than welcome to horde items for role-playing purposes or whatever. The solution I gave is actually perfect to continue role-playing and NOT disrupt the treasure balance of the game while getting some use from the items.

That is an orthogonal argument. There is fine tradition of sticking with one particular sword for an entire career. It is quite impossible with vanilla 4e.

And really selling anything, real world or otherwise, you're likely to take a large hit, especially if said item is going to be used thoroughly. I'd imagine a battle worn +1 longsword doesn't look so hot after killing a couple dozen orcs/kobolds with it...

As this is a fantasy world based on mythological traditions, it could easily be the exact opposite as what you suggest.

Anthony Jackson

First Post
In practice, the way money works in 4e means that adjusting the sale price of magic items doesn't matter all that much. Assuming the DM gives the parties useful items as treasure (which the DMG says he should), the only items a party is likely to sell is lower level stuff they're replacing. Making that assumption, changing sale price from 20% to 50% will mean that an average party has ~20% more cash than the treasure tables say they should. Assuming you care, the easiest fix is to just reduce non-magic treasure awards by 1 level (i.e money awards are based on level-1, not level).

In terms of re-enchanting, considering that you can't enchant items to above your level anyway, meaning the item you're re-enchanting is currently at least level-5, the difference between disenchant/re-enchant and direct re-enchant is trivial, and you can probably safely permit re-enchantment without bothering to change any other rules.

Lurker37

Explorer
Keep in mind that the exchange rate returns the buying price of a weapon one plus lower, exactly the same as in 3.X. They've just changed the rate at which the price of magic items increases, and changed the market from 'lots of sellers, lots of buyers' to 'few sellers, even fewer buyers'.

Stogoe

First Post
The Math is sound, the rate is just unacceptable as long as there is any role playing left in the game. Much as I would burn my comic collection before selling it to a comic store for the insulting rate they would pay, I’d never Sell / Residize an item for 1/5th. I’ll give it to someone who’d appreciate it or vault it for future use in such a manner.
Your idiosyncrasies aside, people hock comics and Magic cards and videogames and jewelry and firearms and tools for pennies all the time.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Your idiosyncrasies aside, people hock comics and Magic cards and videogames and jewelry and firearms and tools for pennies all the time.

Ye-essss. But if we appeal to the real world, it would be obvious that it is bizarre for all people to hock all valuables for pennies all the time. Or for very wealthy people to have such as an unbreakable habit.

Donatello

Explorer
I think I am going to rule in favor of "You can place an enchantment on top of another enchantment, but you only get the sale price discounted from the ritual cost" option, with special items on a "minor artifact" scale that allow enchantments to be stack on with the buy cost disounted.

Thank you very much for your input, guys.

Stalker0

Legend
Ye-essss. But if we appeal to the real world, it would be obvious that it is bizarre for all people to hock all valuables for pennies all the time. Or for very wealthy people to have such as an unbreakable habit.

Magic Items are much more of a commodity in 4e land than they are in 3e. Take a 1st level item for example, 360 gp. That's less than a good warhorse, a lot less actually.

Remove ads