• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic item for +10 Performance skill

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
How much would it cost to create a magic item that provides, for example, a +10 bonus to performance skill.

I was thinking of either a ring of performing, or gloves of playing, or a choker of singing, or something like that.

There are a lot of examples in the DMG for skill bonuses (like climb, hide, move silently, disguise, jump, swim, etc...). And there are guidelines in Tome & Blood.

However, I am not sure if those would be applicable for this kind of item (which would benefit a Bard greatly), and wanted to check in with you folks and see what you think the price should be for such an item, and the requirements to create it.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
According to the guidelines such an item would cost 2000gp. However, you are right that for a bard this would be a powerful item and much better then say +10 to swim. Personally, I think all the +X to a skill items are underpriced. As to what price they should be, I don't know. I try not to use them in games I DM.

Tetsuyama

First Post
Hmm.. I'm thinking at least 5 ranks in the appropriate Perform and Craft Wonderous Item. Price should be 2000gp, since this doesn't strike me as much more useful to a bard than a 3rd Eye of Concentration (+10 to concentration checks) is to a spellcaster or Psychic Warrior.

Hygric

First Post
...or for how useful a +10 hide or move silent item is for a rogue.

I think that these items are ridiculously cheap for what they give. Maybe something more along the lines of rating squared x 200 gp, so a +5 item would be 5000 gp and a +10 would be 20,000 gp. Still worth every gold to a bard to get a +10 instrument. I also wouldn't allow the bonuses to go above +10.

Stalker0

Legend
I think those + to skill items were one of the biggest mistakes in DND, then really ruin the only having to work at and earn your skills. I never allow these in my games.

But that's just my rant.

kreynolds

First Post
Mistwell said:
How much would it cost to create a magic item that provides, for example, a +10 bonus to performance skill.

The formula gives a starting point of 2,000gp, as others have already pointed out, and I'm mostly ok with that price. If I were to mark it up, I might change the formula to bonus squared x 25gp (total 2,500gp), maybe even 30gp (total 3,000gp).

Mistwell said:
I was thinking of either a ring of performing, or gloves of playing, or a choker of singing, or something like that.

Good ideas. :)

Mistwell said:
There are a lot of examples in the DMG for skill bonuses (like climb, hide, move silently, disguise, jump, swim, etc...). And there are guidelines in Tome & Blood.

Yep, and they tend to follow a theme as far as prereqs go: 1) half the ranks or 2) an appropriate spell, such as invisibility for the +10 hide bonus of a Cloak of Elven Kind.

Mistwell said:
However, I am not sure if those would be applicable for this kind of item (which would benefit a Bard greatly)

It would be no worse than a Cloak of Elven Kind in the hands of a Rogue.

My advice? Try it out. If you don't like what it does to your campaign, if you find that it's too much work to compensate for it, work it out of the game (although in this case, it shouldn't be a big deal). Also, if you want to make the item more difficult to be made, thus more difficult to be found, I'd go with the possess skill ranks equal to half the bonus prereq. This would mean that the creator, which could be any class capable of creating the item, would need to be pretty good at Perform.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Thanks for all the great advice.

This is for a game already full of +10 Skill X items, so difficult to yank them all out (though I fully agree they are too cheap). It's true, the hide and move silent items are probably just as powerful in the hands of a rogue as a +10 perform item would be in the hands of a Bard.

It's also potentially the deciding factor in whether a Bard character takes a Craft feat (for a character with 10 ranks in Perform already).

Again, the advice is appreciated, particularly on a day when its often been difficult to post replies.

P.S. Where is 3rd Eye of Concentration from?

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
Remember that such an item won't help the bard use his bardsong abilities, as they are based on ranks rather than bonus.

The only thing I can see which this item would help him do is make money.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Remember that such an item won't help the bard use his bardsong abilities, as they are based on ranks rather than bonus.

Untrue.

Ranks limits what abilities he has available.

Suggestion is a Will Save based on Cha... but Fascinate is a Will Save, DC equal to the bard's Perform check - as in d20 + Perform bonus.

Countersong is a check-based ability as well.

So both Fascinate and Countersong would be well-bolstered by a +10 Perform item.

-Hyp.

Vaxalon

First Post
Meh. You're right.

I'd probably allow it, because the bards in my game have always saved their bardsong for Inspire Courage and the like.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads