• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Item Math?

nightmage61

First Post
A player in my campaine is asking to start with the item below, its a 9th level campaine so if math is right it is with in the limits I set for the game, what say you fine folk? Does it pass the magic item math muster?:

Item would be a mask that would combine the features of Gloves of Dexterity, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and Periapt of Wisdom. The DMG goes on to say if it is a space limitation item, but you are combining powerful features like those listed above, the cost should be 10% higher, so instead of 4000 X 3, it would be 12000 + 10%, or 13200 gp. Is this acceptable?

Arnix

First Post
Actual cost should be:
4000 Gauntlets of Dex
8000 Gauntlets of Ogre Power (4k x 2)
8000 Periapt of Wisdom (4k x 2)
-------
20,000 Total

DMG says that a 9th level Char should have 36,000 Gold.

I would let them have the item and they would then have 16,000 gp remaining.

That is simply a +1 str_mod, +1 wis_mod, +1 dex_mod
or +1 hit, dam melee, ac, init, spot, listen, hide, open locks, dam with strength bow (possibly).

Compared to 4 +10 skill items (8,000gp), +2 weapon (8,000) and +2 to his armor (4,000) for a total of
+2 hit, dam melee,
+2 ac,
+0 init,
+10 spot, listen, hide, open locks

Granted they bonuses are all in one item instead of 6, but one failed fireball save (natural 1_ and he might just lose that single item.

Ensis

First Post
I am not certain where the 8,000 gp price comes in for the gauntlets and the periapt. Can you explain that part? Both are listed in the DMG as 4,000 each.

dcollins

Explorer
nightmage61 said:
A player in my campaine is asking to start with the item below, its a 9th level campaine so if math is right it is with in the limits I set for the game, what say you fine folk? Does it pass the magic item math muster?:

If you have any doubt, then just ban it. Any "new item" like this is a house rule that the DM is not compelled to allow. Allowing a PC to start with such a "new item", instead of constructing it themselves in-game, only compounds the problem.

It's a pretty cheesy and favor-less item, frankly.

kreynolds

First Post
bret said:
Unless you count it as goggles, a mask doesn't take an item slot. Wouldn't the price be 24K?

Magic of Faerun seems to define masks as taking up the goggles item slot (which makes perfect sense). Some examples are 1) Winged Mask, 2) White Skull Mask, 3) Mirror Mask, and 4) Mask of Blood.

mkletch

First Post
If for some reason you wanted a mask that did not take up a slot (so that you could use goggles), or any other form that did not use a slot, the whole cost would normally be doubled. Since you have costs in there that are already doubled, the cost would be:

8000 for Strength +2 (4000 doubled)
12000 for Dexterity +2 (4000 doubled twice = 4000 tripled in DnD)
12000 for Wisdom +2 (4000 doubled twice = 4000 tripled in DnD)

The total would be 32kgp.

-Fletch!

Remove ads