D&D 5E Magic Items, and what it says about the editions

Tony Vargas

Legend
*For example, a 1st level magic user only had one spell (and clerics had none!), and that one spell was most often charm person or sleep. Once that was cast, the MUs either had their charmed henchmen fight, or uses sling stones from range.
Sling stones? Darts!

there's a tacit agreement where the DM mostly has the monsters beat on the fighter line, and limit attacks on squishies to player mistakes and rare tactically astute enemies.
I remember doing that, "in earlier editions" (by which I mean the TSR years, Sacrosanct). ;)

While rare, some players actually enjoy tanking, drawing enough attacks from the rest of the party to take the pressure off them while not being KOed themselves.
Not that rare. It was the 'fighter wall' thing in the olden days, and the Defender role in 4e - and in both cases the fighter was pretty popular. Sure, there was little place for it in 3e rocket-tag (not actively drawing attacks, but reach builds could 'defend' their allies without necessarily absorbing a lot of melee attacks), but that was about it, and I hope we remember the flood of 'Fighter SUX' threads from that era...

Tony Vargas

Legend
Nah, darts meant you had to get fairly close, and they took up a lot of space, and even did less damage than a staff sling (which was 2d4 IIRC).
1e PH Magic-user weapons: Dagger, Dart, Staff* ;P

* (not sling, not 'staff sling,' though it was funny what you could get away with, sometimes - I had a druid with a lucern hammer for a while, because the weapon list included 'hammer' and we had no clue...)

As an aside, remember when they gave the cleric and wizard both effing crossbows? Now they have freak'n Sacred Flame and Fire Bolt. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Dualazi

First Post
Ah, don't mind @Dualazi, he was just trying to troll me.

(It was he who misrepresented me by his quote "dying for the important members of the team" which he made up himself. A quote more accurate to my position would be something like "taking a beating - but certainly not necessarily dying - for the other, equally important, members of the team".)

Cheers :)

Contrary to popular belief, opposing opinions aren't actually trolling. Everyone takes HP damage sooner or later, and all classes have some method of negating or avoiding it, so taking damage isn't something special the fighter can do. Since HP is most likely the usual cause of death, then you are explicitly asking that player to take a greater risk of it. If the fighter dies holding off the baddie and the group wins, it's a Pyrrhic victory but still a victory. If the mage dies, then the fighter dies too since he can't hurt it, or at best flees the area. Either way it's a loss, and most definitely outs the group as having unequal value among its members.

This, ultimately is my problem with your example and with the potential design flaws of previous editions where having a +X weapons was a requirement, is that those situations are much rarer for casters due to their flexibility. If their target is magic immune, they can summon allies to fight it. They can buff the fighters of the group, and contribute by proxy. They can shape terrain and walls to stall. Hell, with spells like stoneskin and mirror image, they can be the tanks if they want! Hobbling the fighter for novelty is a bad decision in my opinion because he simply doesn't have the flexibility that a wizard does to contribute while at a disadvantage. The only scenario I can think of where this wouldn't be the case would be some odd-ball scenario where the fighter's magic weapons and armor are still active but the wizard is completely unable to cast anything, at which point I wouldn't be surprised if the wizard player just sat out that session.

There are a lot of design philosophies that have lent themselves to this since since 2nd edition. 3rd had the assumed wealth by level, so you could reasonably assume to be able to damage enemies around your level, and could overcome the flat value to at least deal some damage. 4th needed magic item bonuses for math reasons, but didn't have the same damage reductions in place outside of epic level foes. 5th has the rare creature with true normal immunity, but much more common is resistance, and even the ones that require magic only require +1. All of these show a movement away from game features that have binary pass/fail checks on weapon attacks, and I personally believe that situations like the one described in this thread were a contributing factor to these designs.
[MENTION=15700]Sacrosanct[/MENTION] - Probably should have quoted the rest of what I said then, since my complaint had nothing to do with 1st level play of any edition. The scenario is not about the wizard running out spells at low level and having the fighter do most of the lifting, it's about one class or the other being unable to contribute in a meaningful way*. Even at first level, those sleep spells can be very useful, and the slings still deal damage, yes? The only way it would be comparable is if wizards could only take HP damage at low levels and not make any attacks of their own.

*If you really think getting punched in the face while your allies get to do stuff is meaningful, that's fine and if your group enjoys it, got for it. We would have to agree to disagree though.

S'mon

Legend
I've been running Pathfinder APs with my group and leaving the magic items largely unchanged, just removing a few 'wealth by level budget' items on NPC stat blocks that are there just to get their (eg) AC up, like amulets of natural armour. It's higher than baseline 5e but after 25 sessions (PCs 7th level) I've not seen any problems in terms of overpowered characters. Attunement naturally prevents any Christmas Tree effect. And not allowing free purchase of items has far more impact than having plenty of items in the adventure.

Xetheral

Three-Headed Sirrush
From my perspective, the change in magic item expectations between editions produces an annoying continuity problem when world-building. I've been using a custom-made campaign world since the very first days of 3.0, and I have no intention of throwing that out to start over every time a new edition comes out.

My world doesn't have magic item shops per se, but the idea that magic items are (expensive) commodities is baked into the basic economic assumptions. Cartels, sprawling trade fairs, and political rivalries over control of the production of high-end items are all basic features that can't simply be hand-waved away.

Accordingly, the sudden excision of trade in magic items in 5e presented me with a serious dilemma. Unless I wanted to rewrite large portions of my setting, I would have to either adapt the 5e magic item rules to permit (and support) buying and selling, or else skip this edition just as I skipped 4e (for even bigger incompatibility reasons).

I chose a middle path and created an isolated, magic-item-poor location within the setting to try out the new system to see if I liked it enough to be worth adapting it to fit my world. The conclusion is a definite yes, and when I start my next major campaign it will be back on the mainland with heavily-houseruled magic item rules (mostly more-coherent pricing and item creation guidelines, quite possibly using or based on some of the community's fixes).

But it's frustrating knowing that I almost missed out on this edition's improvements simply because the developers apparently never assumed that anyone would want to tell continuous storylines across edition boundaries. I don't mind that the default expectations changed, but I do mind that the tools were missing to provide optional backwards-compatibility. At a minimum 5e needed specific item prices also taking into account demand (i.e. utility) instead of only supply (i.e. rarity), so that magic-items-as-commodities was supported from day 1.

If and when another new edition comes around, I hope backwards-compatibility is maintained. But based on the last two new editions, I think it's safe to say that what the always-changing magic item assumptions really mean is that continuity simply isn't a priority.

CapnZapp

Legend
From my perspective, the change in magic item expectations between editions produces an annoying continuity problem when world-building. I've been using a custom-made campaign world since the very first days of 3.0, and I have no intention of throwing that out to start over every time a new edition comes out.

My world doesn't have magic item shops per se, but the idea that magic items are (expensive) commodities is baked into the basic economic assumptions. Cartels, sprawling trade fairs, and political rivalries over control of the production of high-end items are all basic features that can't simply be hand-waved away.

Accordingly, the sudden excision of trade in magic items in 5e presented me with a serious dilemma. Unless I wanted to rewrite large portions of my setting, I would have to either adapt the 5e magic item rules to permit (and support) buying and selling, or else skip this edition just as I skipped 4e (for even bigger incompatibility reasons).

I chose a middle path and created an isolated, magic-item-poor location within the setting to try out the new system to see if I liked it enough to be worth adapting it to fit my world. The conclusion is a definite yes, and when I start my next major campaign it will be back on the mainland with heavily-houseruled magic item rules (mostly more-coherent pricing and item creation guidelines, quite possibly using or based on some of the community's fixes).

But it's frustrating knowing that I almost missed out on this edition's improvements simply because the developers apparently never assumed that anyone would want to tell continuous storylines across edition boundaries. I don't mind that the default expectations changed, but I do mind that the tools were missing to provide optional backwards-compatibility. At a minimum 5e needed specific item prices also taking into account demand (i.e. utility) instead of only supply (i.e. rarity), so that magic-items-as-commodities was supported from day 1.

If and when another new edition comes around, I hope backwards-compatibility is maintained. But based on the last two new editions, I think it's safe to say that what the always-changing magic item assumptions really mean is that continuity simply isn't a priority.
I have argued there is one large gaping hole on 5th editions backwards-compatibility ever since it was released.

And this is exactly the reason.

Until WotC makes a real effort at a magic-item pricing and creation supplement, their marketing spiel about 5th edition supporting the previous playing styles simply ring hollow.

Dualazi

First Post
I will give you this, @Dualazi: this latest post was well-reasoned. Thank you for that.

All good, I had originally intended my first response to be more sarcastic than antagonistic, but inflection doesn't translate well from text, so I apologize for putting words in your mouth.

For what it's worth, I would also really, really like a more comprehensive look at magic item prices, and even more so for creation, since the current iteration is...lacking, to say the least. I figure that they'll kind of have to once they get around to an Eberron book, but that also has the disquieting implications about when and if that might be manifesting.

Remove ads