D&D 1E Magic items in AD&D, making them and getting them.

Something I've been thinking about regarding magic items in AD&D.

I sometimes wonder if the groups I played with were "doing it wrong". . .because while I had a pretty consistent experience between all the various groups I played with. . .I sometimes see people talk about AD&D with a totally different concept of creating and obtaining magic items.

So, with that in mind, this is how I always saw it played. . .

Making Magic Items: It's so hard to do, that almost all PC's don't bother to try. For example, making any kind of permanent magic item like a +1 Sword ect. requires not just casting the Enchanted Weapon, Enchant an Item and Permanency spells. . .but since the Permanency spell is 8th level, unless you can somehow get a scroll of it (which I never saw done, see the next paragraph about obtaining magic items), being at least 16th level (which, in my experience, games almost never got to, and NPC's that high level were insanely rare).

. . .then you had to deal with the permanent loss of a point of Constitution for casting Permanency, meaning no Wizard wanted to lose Constitution permanently just to make a magic sword for his party member. Also, losing a point of Constitution, because of Permanency, to make expendable magic items like a Necklace of Missiles ect. meant nobody in their right mind would make those items.

. . .and even if you did have Enchant an Item and any other spells that were needed, then you had to somehow do all the other stuff to make a magic item, that you couldn't just cast those spells on any sword and make a magic item, that you needed it to be a special sword of some kind (with all kinds of requirements laid out by the DM, for example, a +1 sword might have to be forged by a Dwarven Master Smith using metal taken from a mundane sword that killed a magical creature of some kind, with the hilt having small chamber in it housing a portion of the dust of a slain vampire or lich, the hilt wrappings being made of leather made from some specific magical creature, and the sword being quenched after being forged in Holy Water blessed by a priest of a God of War or Smithing with at least one tear of a Valkyrie mixed in.

Making even one "routine" magic item would require 3 or 4 high-level adventures, at least. . .and your "reward" would be losing a point of CON to get a +1 sword. Those requirements would start going up rapidly to make things with more plusses. . .I remember being told that making a +5 item would require virtually an entire campaign worth of adventures to assemble it as it would require a couple dozen special treasures.

Potions and Scrolls were similarly insane to make, but at least you didn't have to lose the point of CON.

Finding Magic Items: I don't know where the idea of so-called "Monty Haul" games came from, because I never saw anything like it. . .magic items were doled out with an eyedropper, it felt like. DM's used the treasure tables in the DMG, rigorously and strictly. . .and it always felt like that meant we got jack squat, especially for magical treasure. Most of the magic items were in lair treasure. . .and you never could find a lair.

We'd play campaigns that would last a year or two, get up to somewhere between 10th and 15th level. . .and typically you could count every magic item in the entire party on one hand, the party fighter would have a magic weapon of some kind they found (and if it wasn't a weapon they had spent a weapon proficiency slot on beforehand, they learned that weapon later, so the Fighter might have his +1 Guisarme or +1 Khopesh instead of a longsword or broadsword). There would be a nice little supply list of potions/oils and scrolls. . .but very few weapons and armor or other permanent items.

Bracers of Defense were never, ever found. More than one group I met called AC 10 "Armor Class Mage" or "Armor Class Magic User" ect. to refer to the fact that even high-level Wizards/Magic Users had a bog-standard 10 AC because AC boosting items were so super-rare (and in AD&D, Dex bonuses to AC were hard to get).

. . .and of course, in AD&D it was strictly forbidden to sell magic items. The DMG and other books went at length denouncing the concept. I remember the very condescending artwork in High Level Campaigns of a Wizard shopping at a "magic mart" complete with a bargain bin of wands. . .to illustrate that if you allow any selling of magic items by NPC's in a campaign, that it meant there was no difference between that and letting NPC's open up magic stores indistinguishable from modern "big box" stores complete with bargain bins, closeout sales, coupons, and customer loyalty cards. . .every DM I knew took those instructions seriously, so you could have parties with 100,000+ GP. . .but they couldn't buy a +1 Dagger for all that money, it just plain was NOT on the market for any price.

. . .yet, in talking with others, they talk about going into dungeons and coming out with cartloads of magic items, of low level parties where everyone has a magic weapon and most have magic armor or bracers, of games where it was easy to make potions and scrolls and DM's didn't enforce the CON loss requirement for Permanency in making magic items.

The changes to magic items with 3.0. . .not requiring permanent CON loss, just predictable amounts of XP and gold costs, and assuming that magic items can be bought or commissioned in big cities if you have enough money were player friendly enough, and much more like the prevalence of magic items in D&D fiction and video games that it helped speed acceptance of the transition to 3e, in my experience.

Were those things more common, did I just play with particularly hardcore/tough DM's and gaming groups? What was everyone elses experience about magic item creation and obtaining in AD&D?

WASP007

First Post
I feel that magic items add style and flare to a campaign. Obviously it shouldn't be over done but they do keep the game more interesting. As far as selling or trading, it's part of the game. If you sell your item you most likely won't be able to get it back. And as far as buying, lower level items for hefty coin, why not.
I've played it both ways and just find the game play to be more enjoyable with MAGIC.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
"Monty/Montie Haul" was apparently Jim Ward's tongue in cheek nickname for Gary Gygax as DM. Mr. Ward had a column in early issues of Dragon detailing some of the early adventures, some of which are recognizable as published modules, and are fairly treasure laden. (I'm not sure how accurate the articles were, I'm not sure I believe EGG really allowed a magic sword character wielded by an iron golem, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true, either.)

I actually don't think the changes to magic in 3.0 were initially that big a deal, especially compared to the Basic D&D line which had even more generous magic item creation, it's just that people handwaved away the xp requirements and assumed there was a factory of wizards working away in factories creating anything they wanted, and thus they could buy whatever, whenever they had money.

But I do think EGG probably was overgenerous in his early D&D games with treasure, realized that power gaming could get out of hand, especially with newer DMs, and overcorrected in AD&D (also seen in the section advising DMs to not allow monsters as characters, something the opposite of what he had said in the original D&D books).

Similarly, Mr Ward wrote that he liked power gaming and Monty Haul games, as long as the challenges were equally as high/epic as the loot.

Back in the day, while the Permanency spell was out there, I always focused more on using quests for crafting magic items. For example, if someone wanted to build a Flametongue, I might say “okay, you need to know how to cast Fireball and Protection from Fire.” But then they’d also need to find magma from a volcano in the Abyss, or the blood of a Remorhaz. Few PCs went that route, though, especially since (being a young and still learning DM at that time) magic items were fairly plentiful in my campaigns.

Were those things more common, did I just play with particularly hardcore/tough DM's and gaming groups? What was everyone elses experience about magic item creation and obtaining in AD&D?
My experience with AD&D was similar to yours. The benefit of acquiring a new magic item was rarely commensurate with the risk involved with the process, so it was hardly ever done.

The only time I ever recall it coming up, it was a campaign built around the idea of going out to acquire the various components, on behalf of an NPC enchanter. I don't think that campaign lasted long enough for the item to get built, though.

GreyLord

Legend
I differed in that many non-permanent magic items did not need to have permanency in order to create them. For example, the Aforementioned Necklace of Magic Missiles would not need a Permanency spell at all. Once expended the Necklace would be used. A similar idea was with wands in spells and wand making.

For example, let us say a wizard wanted to make a low level wand, or one that would cast a low level spell. Let's say sleep. To make the wand they'd need the branch of a Hickory and get the scale of a basilisk. They then would have to enlongate the scale somehow and make it as the core of the wand (put it inside the branch). Thus, they now have the wand itself. In order to get it to accept the sleep spell on it they would then need to get the dried intestine of a Carrion crawler to wrap around the core and then enchant an item on the entire thing and they'd have a wand of sleep which would gain one charge per every sleep spell they cast on it.

Complicated to a degree? Yes. But not too difficult to accomplish as a wizard that could cast Enchant an Item.

How about a Wand of Fireballs?

First you'd need a wand made out of petrified wood that had been exposed to the ash of an active volcano. Then you'd need to obtain the core which would be composed of the dried throat strands of an ancient Red Dragon. Thus you now have the wand.

Next, to be able to actually cast the Fireball you'd need to get the blood of a Huge Fire Elemental and the eyeball of a Salamander. Once all these are collected, you can create the wand. Like other wands it accepts one charge per fireball spell you cast on it.

A little harder than to create a wand that casts 1st level spells, but not impossible and much easier than creating a magic item which would have a permanent effect such as a +1 item.

Even then, with items that had permanent effects on them I may allow them to be made without permanency spells but the according challenge to make them would be much harder.

Potions are MUCH easier. For example, a potion of levitation...get the wings of a hummingbird, mix it with the blood of a bumblebee and mix with water and cast a spell (we could feasibly require enchant an item or not...depending) of levitate on it.

Thus there is an incentive to create magic items that have a more temporary nature and potions far more than many other items.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
. . .then you had to deal with the permanent loss of a point of Constitution for casting Permanency, meaning no Wizard wanted to lose Constitution permanently just to make a magic sword for his party member. Also, losing a point of Constitution, because of Permanency, to make expendable magic items like a Necklace of Missiles ect. meant nobody in their right mind would make those items.

Yeah. And then I would read the background on some magic item in an official supplement and it would tell me that the great Sage Inventor McMagiccrafter spent his life making hundreds of items and this was one of them.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Yeah, making magic items in AD&D was not for the faint-hearted. A lot depended on working with the DM to come up with a method and a cost for the whole affair. Most players, as far as I experienced, never bothered trying to make anything. They made do with whatever items they were able to find in their adventures - which, if you played modules, were actually fairly common. And yes, if you played 2e, the game discouraged selling items (though that was never an issue in 1e which expected PCs to be selling items fairly regularly and had prices listed).

The shift to 3e and the ability to easily make items based on a formula without DM-devised quests and challenges was a massive change in the game's ground assumptions. And it led to big changes in player behavior. When magic items are easy to make or buy, what do you do with the fairly valuable but conditionally-useful items like rings of shooting stars? You sell them for items that are reliably in operation most or all of the time - the Big Six (armor bonus, deflection bonus, natural armor bonus, resistance bonus, prime stat enhancement bonus, magic weapon).

Yeah. And then I would read the background on some magic item in an official supplement and it would tell me that the great Sage Inventor McMagiccrafter spent his life making hundreds of items and this was one of them.

. . .and this is part of why 3e really took off instantly among all the gaming groups I knew.

2e seemed to have a huge gulf between the rules-as-written (and the world they'd logically create) and the way the rules actually performed. Magic items were dirt-common in published adventures and the rules seemed to imply they were fairly common in some places (like monsters needing a certain number of "plusses" to hit). . .but it was nigh impossible to actually make magic items and the rules lecturing DM's on how players should never, ever buy or sell magic items no matter what and no matter how rich you are they aren't for sale.

With 3e making magic items creation simply a matter of being high enough level, having the right feat and spells, and spending the time, money, and XP to create it, it felt a lot more like what the game implied magic item creation should have been like all the time. . .given how common magic items were in so many parts of setting lore.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases