• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Magic Items, worst, silliest, most power gamey you have seen.

jasper

Rotten DM
Ok post the magic items which have stood out in years you been playing. Here are some I had and some I created.
1E. Captain America’s shield +3 1d6 damage small round shield. One attack initially with it going up 1 attack after 20 successful to hits on first attack. Max of 5 attacks. This was my creation for my younger brother.

1E. from my first gaming group. Staff of Arch Magi. Take standard staff of arch magi add another column and I think more charges. My pcs have at least 3 of them.

1E. Sword Money Belt of Holding. A belt which was small bag of holding but on command word turn into a +1 1d6 short sword. I create this at FT Ord after the group watched a Matt Helm? Movie.

1E and 3E the sword from “the Misenchanted Sword” by Lawrence Watt Evans. On first to hit save vs. death magic. But if user pulled the sword he could not sheath it. In 3E I gave the user a Will check not to kill anyone on drawing it. Group decided not to play with it and asked me to drop it. I did.

1E. From my first gaming group and then me. Magic Missile Machine gun. Look like a Uzi without the stock. Took a magic missile wand as the clip. User could dial up 20 rds to fire per round. Anyone could use this but a to hit roll was need for non-magic users. Percentage chance of the same number of shots dialed of it back firing into user with no miss chance. Once wand was inserted if the wand was ejected it had 0 charges regardless of how many actual charges were left.

There were others either duplicating comic book powers/items or movie items but they with the grateful passage of time have faded or I heard other gamers have the same so I don’t feel bad.

Tayne

First Post
There was the cursed bean-bag clown toy that functioned as a magic blackjack and was posessed by the spirit of a mentally retarded child, which started screaming sonic spell damage if you put it down and ruined every stealth check by talking at inopportune moments

then there was the magic three part quest macguffin that folded out into a pre-fab modron factory, spewing out an army of modrons.

What else....

Ulrick

First Post
Any magic item that a PC wants to introduce to the game that had ties to Elminster. For example:

"I'm Elminster's nephew, and he gave me this staff that causes me to change into a shadow form and sneak around like a rogue does but grants me attacks bonuses like a fighter and when I get hit it automatically heals me like a cleric casting cure serious wounds, but I can also cast maximized spells without taking the feat and without costing extra spell slots. Oh yes, and it never runs out of charges."

Janx

Hero
An intelligent sword named "Fuzz" that could carpet any enclosed space (a room) in purple and green shag carpeting.

One PC of mine made a gun stock with holes in the front for holding wands. It basically extended the contact of the person holding the stock to the wands, so he could issue the command word for a given wand and have it fire. In effect, a Wand Gun.

One PC had a Sword of Sharpness +1/+3 vs. evil that got supercharged when we killed a god with it to Vorpal Sword +5/+10 vs. lawful evil. The upgrade was the GMs way of "leveling" the weapon to the PC. I carried the same sword for most of the PCs career. Still munckin, but in the scope of the party, it made sense. this was in 2e. Translated later to 3e, the PC was 30th something level due to being a fighter/thief/mage. I got a lot of benefits from upgrading, including HP and BAB.

Twichyboy

First Post
Potion of Cure Paralysis,

"Ok your character is now in paralysis"

"Alright i drink my po-.. Wait a minute can i even do that?"

Gets them every time

Croesus

Adventurer
1E: Potion Belt. Had slots for potion bottles. Allowed the wearer to use a potion as a free action. Great for fighters with cure potions.

1E: Portable Hole. This was a mis-reading of the item description. We thought it created an actual hole in something, similar to a passwall spell. We used it in dungeons to bypass all sorts of areas, creating an instant hole in walls.

1E: True Ring(?). I'm not positive about the correct name of the item, but this was something from a Dragon article. Basically, a wizard created the ring and imbued it with XP that the wizard sacrificed. The ring then had all the spell capability of a wizard with that many XP. For example, imbue one with 375K XP and you get a ring with all the spellcasting capability of an 11th level wizard. Majorly broken, but fun (for the wizard).

Well, there was the hat of tricks, the shield that projected an invulnerable force field, the bow that fired only magic missiles (which occasionally became rope), the club that caused earthquakes, a 10' pole that was both indestructible but also could be reduced to 6" size, and then the plain ole cloak of elvenkind ...

Huw

First Post
We were 2nd level. We'd just found the Sword of Kas. In a goblin lair, no less. Yes, it was that sort of a game. In our defence, we were all young.

Slight problem. It's an evil artifact, so we can't use it. Fortunately, in the very next encounter the treasure was...

...a Scabbard of Alignment Changing.

Now that's how you do Monty Haul!

Ringlerun

First Post
Back in 1st edition we had a Cube of Force that we convinced the DM was a 10x10 in-penetrable cube which we used to squish all the monsters in the dungeon.

A ring of telekinesis which again using dodgy logic we convinced the DM we could hyper accelerate a crossbow bolt or anything similar to such a speed that it would kill anything on impact.

I had a mage that wielded a metal whip which could act as a conductor for shocking grasp. And since shocking grasp only got discharged if you touched someone. At the start of the day i would cast up all my shocking grasp spells then wait for the right moment to unleash some pain ( later on we realized the spell doesn't work that way but it was fun)

A DM created what i would call the ultimate evil cleric weapon. The staffof the Carrion Crawler. a +3 staff with a 8 tendrils all doing 1d4 and all save or be paralyzed.

But my favorite was the rope of entanglement and constriction that my halfling thief acquired during a game. A magic rope that had the powers of climbing, constriction and entanglement. It could entagle up to 8 man sized creatures and strangle the life out of them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads