D&D 5E magic map artifact

pukunui

Legend
"If there's a place you got to go / I'm the one you need to know / I'm the map! I'm the map! I'm the map!"

Hi guys,

I'm looking to make a magic map inspired by Map from Dora the Explorer. Whenever Dora doesn't know which way to go, she asks Map for directions. He does his little song and dance and then tells her about two locations/landmarks she has to pass to get to her final destination.

Of course, Dora's adventures are always ridiculously linear (to the point that she can't even go around things to avoid them ~ she always has to go over or through the obstacles), but I think a magic map that could give three clues or highlight three noteworthy locations in the dungeon might be fun. It wouldn't negate the PCs' need to explore or navigate, but it might give them some helpful hints or noteworthy locations/things to look for.

Perhaps it could have a limited number of charges per day: I'm inclined to say 3, but that might not be enough.

Then maybe it could have a minor power or two, like always indicating which way is north (outdoors) or which way the nearest exit is (inside) or something like that. Maybe you can spend a charge to have it draw a crude map of the surrounding area out to 100 yards or something.

Anyone got any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers,
Jonathan

making a magic map that can use some kind of clairvoyant sense to map out the 10 miles in every direction of you but only above ground would be a good start.

Add the ability to 'set' it to record your movement (as a red line)add an ability to voice activate and pick a place in that 10 mile radius and give gps like sirections to the place...

pukunui

Legend
This seems like the kind of thing that can be totally useless or totally game-breaking, depending on what kind of game you're running.
Yeah, that's why I'm hoping to get some help refining the idea. I was thinking of it being most useful when using the dungeon/wilderness turn rules (per minute and per hour exploration).

making a magic map that can use some kind of clairvoyant sense to map out the 10 miles in every direction of you but only above ground would be a good start.
Why only above ground?

Add the ability to 'set' it to record your movement (as a red line)add an ability to voice activate and pick a place in that 10 mile radius and give gps like sirections to the place...
In Next terms, that would basically make it so you can't get lost.

Last edited:

frogimus

First Post
* it speaks in riddles

* things it considers cool/fun/awesome to go find may not always be healthy for the party (low chance of this so the party doesn't decide to just toss it in the fire)

* it has a chance of breaking those silent stealthy moments

MortalPlague

Adventurer
* it speaks in riddles

* things it considers cool/fun/awesome to go find may not always be healthy for the party (low chance of this so the party doesn't decide to just toss it in the fire)

* it has a chance of breaking those silent stealthy moments

This.

Quick and easy way to make sure the PCs don't toss it? It points out secret passages within a certain range.

1of3

Explorer
There is a fantasy novel called Havenstar by Glenda Noramly that is all about magic maps. It's technically not the maps that are magic, but the ink: When an appropriately detailed map is made with colored ink, the map will keep chaning as the area it represents changes. It also shows passers-by. Bonus points: If you burn such a map, the depicted area becomes - roughly, in D&D terms - a null magic zone.

Remove ads