D&D 5E Magic missile as a cantrip

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I think compared to other cantrips, an auto hit cantrip that deals 1d4 force damage is fine. It won't break the game by any means. But I agree with @Saelorn. It's a boring cantrip. Some players may be drawn to the auto damage, but I don't expect by any means that it would be something that every caster would feel compelled to take it. And lets also remember that without an attack roll you have no potential to score a critical hit.

aco175

Legend
Compared to firebolt, which I see most casters take, the MM deals about half the damage. I guess is the lack of an attack roll worth half the damage? I can see it going both ways depending on the monster I'm trying to attack.

5ekyu

Hero
Compared to firebolt, which I see most casters take, the MM deals about half the damage. I guess is the lack of an attack roll worth half the damage? I can see it going both ways depending on the monster I'm trying to attack.
Exactly. Against some monsters the firebolt is gonna suck - fire resistance or high AC. That prompts you to spend a second cantrip for save based attack and different type.

Or just take MM get automatic hits with a type rarely resisted.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think having it scale exactly as is in the opening post is fine and I prefer it as a cantrip. I would have liked it to have 5 missiles at the end but starting with 1 and finishing with 4 is a little more balanced since otherwise you need to start with 2 missiles which I think would make it a little too powerful at level 1. At least that was how I felt when I brought it up a couple years back. I think I also ended up reducing the range to 60 ft as well.

Lucas Yew

Explorer
D&D was always stingy with force damage, especially free/cheap ones. Like, look at 5E's Eldritch Blast, it works very well for damaging baddies, but it's a sitting duck when you need some property demolition (it only damages creatures, not objects).

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I don't think this is a good idea for the following reasons (some pointed out by others as well of course):

1. Cantrips that deal damage require an attack roll or save. This requires neither.
2. Even though the damage is low, it is automatic and that is huge.
3. Few things have resistance to force damage.
4. It is a ranged spell, but since it requires no attack roll, you could use it against a foe within 5 feet of you without disadvantage.
5. There are enough damage-dealing cantrips already.

Items #2 and #4 is really a big one IMO.

If you still decided to try it out (nothing wrong with that obviously) I would reduce the range (30-60 feet).

Sometimes I miss something like "magic maneuvers", the middle step between at-will and once-encounter power. The maneuvers were specials attacks (ki power source?) from "Tome of Battle: Book of the Nine Swords".

Also I think about a remake of the shadowcaster class (3.5 Tome of Battle) and the mysteries would be the magic equivalent to martial maneuvers. Then the game mechanic of the shadowcaster would be like a ranged magic martial adept.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Another effect of giving Magic Missile as a cantrip is that it has a substantial impact against spellcasters maintaining Concentration, and enemies who are unconscious and making Death Sves (and so, typically, Big Bads). Auto-damage without any expenditure of resources, even if it's a single point of Force damage, represents a significant benefit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases