Magic Weapon and Arrows

Zustiur

Explorer
I may soon encounter a situation where my gaming group relies on the spell Magic Weapon to deal with certain monsters. (namely a mummy).

As they probably won't want to get near it if they can avoid doing so, I imagine they will want to cast the spell on ranged weapons.

So my question is, since bow's themselves don't confer the +1 damage bonus, how many arrows can you enchant at one time?

1 doesn't seem enough, but any more than that poses the situation where the arrows are then distributed and fired by different characters - thereby increasing the effectivness of the spell for it's duration.

What are your thoughts?

Zustiur
edit - name

Last edited:

YuriPup

First Post
I would assume its like greater magic weapon, 50 arrows.

If you group has a cleric in it, be ready for Greater Magic Weapon when said cleric hits 7th. At 12th I have 3 memorized--and considering adding a fourth. One on my bastard sword (I follow Mayaheine), on the the dwarf's ax, one on the archers arrows and will probably soon be adding one to cast on his bow.

Probably can arrange to retire then and be his caddy.

Actually, to diregess and vent for a moment, our DM hates how much damage our archer is doing (ok technically a Monty Cook Ranger)--anything that can survive his arrow storm to close to melee will tear anyone it hits to peices, and anything of a reasonable CR is quite dead before it gets to us.

I still boggle at feats like rapid shot and many shot.

His shots are typically 1d8 + 3d6 +13 or so...per arrow. (Shocking, sonic and acid (??) on the bow).

Zustiur

Explorer
YuriPup said:
Actually, to diregess and vent for a moment, our DM hates how much damage our archer is doing (ok technically a Monty Cook Ranger)--anything that can survive his arrow storm to close to melee will tear anyone it hits to peices, and anything of a reasonable CR is quite dead before it gets to us.

I still boggle at feats like rapid shot and many shot.

His shots are typically 1d8 + 3d6 +13 or so...per arrow. (Shocking, sonic and acid (??) on the bow).

I have that problem with all bows. let alone ones that have 3 elemental damages attached to them! I think there is a lesson to be learned by all dms. If you give out powerful items, expect them to be used.

Of course, I'm assuming the party didn't make the bow themselves....
The other lesson of course is that circumstance changes EL. Many CR's seem out of place either at range, or without range. If his monsters ambushed you all the time, the archer wouldn't get to shoot - thereby increasing the encounter level. But I digress.

Zustiur

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
By a strict reading, Magic Weapon can't affect arrows.

By a lenient reading, Magic Weapon can affect one arrow (by treating it as an improvised melee weapon).

Greater Magic Weapon affects 50 projectiles or one weapon; Magic weapon only affects one weapon.

They're better off throwing oil or alchemist's fire, using fire spells, etc, given the mummy's resistance to blows and damage reduction.

-Hyp.

Zustiur

Explorer
Hypersmurf said:
By a strict reading, Magic Weapon can't affect arrows.

By a lenient reading, Magic Weapon can affect one arrow (by treating it as an improvised melee weapon).

Greater Magic Weapon affects 50 projectiles or one weapon; Magic weapon only affects one weapon.

-Hyp.

Oh my goodness.
You're quite right. I should have checked Greater Magic Weapon myself, but alas I forgot it even existed.

Thank you :)
Zustiur.

Darklone

They would be well advised to use non magical fire arrows. Though these aren't covered by the rules (silly IMHO).

Magic Weapon on the bow will confer the damage btw... just not the DR piercing.

Remove ads