Magic Weapon Creation

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Hypersmurf said:
When there's a paragraph that says "Here is caster level A. Here is caster level B. You must meet the higher of the two caster level requirements", I don't think there's a lot of room for doubt that "the two caster level requirements" referred to are A and B...
But my point is that the errata draws a distinction between the caster level of an item and the CL requirement to make it. We all agree that the CL of the defending ability is 8. So yes, the caster level (8) is given in the description, just as your quote indicates. But the line subsequently refers to meeting the CL requirement of the defending ability, which per the errata (I would say) is a separate thing, here CL 1. So yes, the caster must individually meet the higher of the two CL requirements. But that doesn't imply that the CL requirement of the defending ability is 8.

When there's a paragraph that says "Here is caster level A. Here is caster level B. You must meet the higher of the two caster level requirements", I don't think there's a lot of room for doubt that "the two caster level requirements" referred to are A and B...
I guess I am basically saying that, but that's because I feel like the errata draws a distinction between CL and CL requirement that was not originally present.

Last edited:

VanRichten

First Post
My apologies as Irdeggman is correct. The formula I did state is specific only to enhancement bonus. And he is also correct that the abilities you wish to add are based on specific class level given under the ability. So in the case of the OPs questions yes you would have be be 8th level to create a +2 Weapon with an additional +1 Ability that required a CL of 8.

I had misread the OP's statement and instead posted a response based on GP price rather than what was actually requested. In this case you can use the formula to determine the price of the item as all "plus" effects stack for the determination of the cost. In the example given to create such an item would be the base cost + masterworked value + cost of a +3 total on the magic weapon chart.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
jaelis said:
But my point is that the errata draws a distinction between the caster level of an item and the CL requirement to make it. We all agree that the CL of the defending ability is 8. So yes, the caster level (8) is given in the description, just as your quote indicates. But the line subsequently refers to meeting the CL requirement of the defending ability, which per the errata (I would say) is a separate thing, here CL 1. So yes, the caster must individually meet the higher of the two CL requirements. But that doesn't imply that the CL requirement of the defending ability is 8.

I think, in the context, it strongly implies that.

I guess I am basically saying that, but that's because I feel like the errata draws a distinction between CL and CL requirement that was not originally present.

I agree... in the general case. But I think the specific text for Armor/Shields and Weapons contradicts that general case... for the specific cases of Armor/Shields and Weapons.

-Hyp.

Remove ads