• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Make all encounter and daily powers "reliable"

Orcus Porkus

First Post
Players get frustrated a lot because their daily/encounter powers are wasted after a missed attack.
So I'm thinking to make all powers "reliable", which means they are not wasted after a miss. This would be true for monsters too of course.

The Fighter already has a couple of reliable powers:

Brute Strike, Level 1
Comeback Strike, Level 1
Crack the Shell Level 5
Dizzying Blow, Level 5
Thicket of Blades, Level 9
Victorious Surge, Level 9
Reaving Strike, Level 19
Reign of Terror, Level 25
Supremacy of Steel, Level 25
No Mercy, Level 29

The Rogue has one:

Garrote Grip Rogue Attack 15

That's it - NO OTHER CLASS HAS RELIABLE POWERS.

So my big worry is that I deflate the fighter in comparison with the other classes. Any ideas on how to avoid that? I would have to make the fighter stronger somehow.

Korpus

First Post
Perhaps allow those that are already reliable be subject to a reroll immediately but not more than one reroll per round.

Though it does pretty much take out the 'on miss' effect of dailies from the game.

Orcus Porkus

First Post
Magic items compensate

The existing way to fight frustration is of course to shell out magic items.
I gave the wizard a magic wand with a level 1 power. But the rules only allow encounter powers for wands.

fissionessence

First Post
The existing way to fight frustration is of course to shell out magic items.
I gave the wizard a magic wand with a level 1 power. But the rules only allow encounter powers for wands.

I don't think it would be too crazy to make a magic weapon that was 'infused' with a power from the martial source; that would be pretty cool. Maybe it fused with the spirit of its wielder from centuries ago who was known for one particular move.

This is totally off-track from the OP, though -_-

Anyway, I don't really think this is a safe course (giving all limited-usage powers 'reliable'). Dailies generally have a Miss effect or attack multiple targets, and encounter powers can just be used the next encounter anyway. This is coming from someone whose character perpetually misses with almost every attack. (My d20 loves to show '4'.)

~

s0l0m0n

First Post
So my big worry is that I deflate the fighter in comparison with the other classes. Any ideas on how to avoid that? I would have to make the fighter stronger somehow.

As already stated in a previous post for this thread, our group has made made all powers reliable, and grant an instant reroll for powers that were already reliable. We felt, that, since everyone - fighters and non-fighters - get to roll again anyhow, this round or the next, it was balanced.

We are aware of the problematic status this creates for the "on miss"-effect and have allowed the "on-miss" effect to take place even if the power is now reliable. We are not sure if we'll keep this rule or modify it, but it has not caused any noticable imbalances. Any "on miss"-effect for powers that now allow a reroll only occur if the reroll misses, of course.

nyhotep

First Post
I would try: 1 reroll for existing "reliable" powers; failed powers still apply the "miss" penalty; Daily powers that miss cannot be attempted again in the same encounter.

The rarity of reliable effects means that most of the time you will try to hit with a strong power when you are in the optimal situation to hit - this means you might get a bonus from an ally (typically a Leader), you might have a reroll ability, you have combat advantage, you get a bonus from your action point.

This creates scenes where people coordinate with each other to ensure the best chance to strike, and I think that is the intended effect.

So, before considering this change, think about:

- Will making all powers reliable not lessen this effect?
Timing and coordination is of less importance now - you just try until you hit. You won't use At-Wills or other lesser abilities much until you have connected with all of your powers (at least the encounter powers).

- Do you even care for the intended effect?
If the group doesn't like the coordination, or it still too often doesn't work out (either their coordination skills are lacking, or the dice are against them, or the party setup makes this kind of coordination impossible), you might want to change all powers to being reliable. If you like the coordination part and the thrill of seeing whether it works out or not, you will want to keep it.

Syrsuro

First Post
I presume you also made all the monsters encounter and renewable effects reliable as well, yes?

(If not, aren't you giving a huge advantage to the players and making your combats a cakewalk?)

Carl

Orcus Porkus

First Post
This creates scenes where people coordinate with each other to ensure the best chance to strike, and I think that is the intended effect.

Excellent point. It's true, my players could do a much better job coordinating their actions.

For now, I think I drop the idea of reliable powers, and also don't try the recharging. I'll focus instead on educating the players to try more group tactics and also give everyone a nice little magic item with a nice power on it (PHB offers enough.)

Thanks everybody for sharing your thoughts.

Syntallah

First Post
Has anyone thought of allowing an Action Point to allow an immediate reroll (and perhaps giving out more than one to compensate for the usage)?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads