D&D 5E Making 5E Feel Old School

darjr

I crit!
Use skills as saving throws.

In old school characters just did stuff. Do that in 5e and only roll those skills if they do something really dumb or something that gets them stuck or in a bind. Like saving throws. That way you can play very old school like but yet those players that wan't to use those skills still can.

Use skills as saving throws.

In old school characters just did stuff. Do that in 5e and only roll those skills if they do something really dumb or something that gets them stuck or in a bind. Like saving throws. That way you can play very old school like but yet those players that wan't to use those skills still can.

Thats how 5E is supposed to work though.

Most things (climbing a tree or a rope etc) are just 'you do it'.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Only Thieves could climb sheer surfaces, or use stealth for example. Wizards couldn't use swords.
Only Thieves were any good at climbing sheer surfaces; anyone else would probably fall (much like real life) but could still try it.

A Magic User could pick up a sword and try using it, but would be at -5 non-proficiency penalty to hit. A Fighter, on the other hand, couldn't cast a spell.

darjr

I crit!
On the flip side that was actually a critique of older editions.

Only Thieves could climb sheer surfaces, or use stealth for example. Wizards couldn't use swords.
The idea came from a blog trying to use the “new” thief skills with older classes in a white box game.

Good luck.

I think you can get close and I've tried, but I've given up.

I reached the conclusion that if I want an old school experience, I'll run Old School Essentials or B/X or Basic Fantasy. If I want a 5E experience, I'll run 5E. All the work you are going to put into making 5E old school... all the house rules you will present... you are just better off offering to run a real old-school game.

You don't gain much by converting 5E to old-school.

You want to advertise 5E because you want the players... you want the acceptance of a current D&D, but you are bait-switching with a way stripped down version that will be unrecognizable to any potential 5E player.

Better to be straight and offer an old school game. You may get less interest, but the interest you get may be the same as what's left after the 5E players drop from your 'old-school' bait-and-switch rules.

The point is if you want to run an old-school experience just run an old-school game. Don't trick your players with a 5E but heavily house-ruled... just present an old-school game from the start. Old school games are current, viable, and very accessible.

As far as DM'ing, there really isn't much of a difference in running old-school games compared to 5E.

Encourage old-school game-play by offering an old-school game. You can use Basic Fantasy or Old School Essentials. Both are either free or have free SRD's. Both are way better games than 5E will ever be, if you want an old-school experience.

Last edited:

Coroc

Hero
This week's blog, looking at the small changes I made to my 5E campaign to make it feel old school, without breaking the game ...

Take the best of both worlds, i see no wrong in calling for or offering a a nature check to identify a creature. In old school it would have been an Int or Wis check instead, and i nboth cases the DM can adjust the DC appropriately and if the players should have no clue no mattter how high they roll then the DM can simply apply rule zero: they will not have any clue even if they roll 25 with a nat 20.

for me the best way to make 5e feel like old editions (and I love both) is to limit races (no Dragonborn, tiefling etc) and limit classes and sub-classes. I’m still working on this but only elves can be eldritch knights, arcane tricksters etc. It mimics 1st edition multiclassing.

Remove ads