D&D 5E Making Abilities More Meaningful in 5E

Mattachine

Adventurer
I was never happy with loyalty and henchmen being a key effect of charisma, since my games almost never use henchmen. I'm not alone in that.

Charisma for charisma based skills is great, and also I like charisma being that stat of "internal power", or "mental strength" (Wis is "mental endurance"). So charisma is my goto stat for many odd magical effects, and is naturally a great stat for casters.

Blackwarder

Adventurer
This thread is the perfect companion piece to Flatter Ability Score Bonuses, which wants to make attributes less meaningful.

Not really, in this thread we want ability scores to have more depth, in the other thread we want ability modifiers gradient to be shallower.

I happen to like both threads.

Edit: this is why I want to divorce damage and to hit bonus from each other and from the ability check bonuses, so we can have them as steep or as shallow we want without impacting the rest of the game.

Warder

Last edited:

DimitriX

First Post
If you're looking for system in which ability scores really matter, then look over here.

Ability scores have a bigger impact on attack and damage bonuses and, other than the Thief class, all other classes use an ability score modifier for skill checks. Characters can burn ability score points to shrug off effects or get bonuses when they really need them.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases