• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

making new monsters and equipment

nerdronomicon

First Post
are there guidelines in the DMG or MM to create new balanced monsters and items? I'm working on a campaign and i need to make some custom creatures. for some of the things i can use one thing and call it another (it's easy enough to call a shadowhunter bat a giant dragonfly, or a stirge a giant mosquito). but there are a few things i need to do where a renamed hobgoblin just won't do the trick. I'm sure I'm just drawing a blank here but i can't seem to find the guidelines i need.

Mengu

First Post
DMG Chapter 10, The DM's Toolbox has all the info you need under the aptly named sections Customizing Monsters and Creating Monsters.

Coldaan

First Post
i have a question on this topic...

i have a lvl 3 monster of the monster manual with lets say 40 hitpoints, if i make it an elite with a template, it has less hitpoints than if i just turn it into an elite without a template (DM 185)?

i also have the same problem with solos btw.^^

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads