Making the Kobold a playable race

The Kender

First Post
I was wondering what your takes are on making the Kobold a playable race. Here's what I have in my campaign, I was wondering if you have any suggestions.

Small Sized
Speed: 30ft
STR -2, DEX +2
+2 Climb, +2 Jump, +2 Craft: Trapmaking
Choose a type of dragon. You gain Energy Resistance 5 in the element dealing with them. Your scales are also the color of that dragon.

Chromatic:
Black - Acid
Blue - Electricity
Green - Acid
Red - Fire
White - Cold

Metallic:
Brass - Fire
Bronze - Electricity
Copper - Acid
Gold - Fire
Silver - Cold

Special: If you use psionics in your campaigns, Kobolds should be allowed to pick one of the Gem Dragons (Check out a 2E MM for info) as being their 'heritage'. I'd recommend granting 2 additional Power Points to them instead of the resistance.

Favored Class:
-Descended from Chromatic or Metallic Dragons: Sorcerer
-Descended from Gem Dragons: Psion

Automatic Languages: Common & Draconic
--------------------------
I got about 0.6 for a level adjustment (I counted Energy Resistance 5 as only +0.1, as you can have Energy Resistance 15 for +0.2)

Kafen

First Post
You could use the Prestige Race concept to liven things up for some extra flavor. Winged and breath weapon using kobolds might make for a fun adventure at low levels.

Generally, I build a culture with a story before I start to apply stats to the creatures which helps keep my custim races interesting. I am curious if you had any thoughts on their life style which might help in the stat area.

Halivar

First Post
I like the concept.

Hrmm... perhaps those with metallic dragon affinity ought to have cleric for favored class, especially given the spell-like abilities of metallic dragons are often from the divine spell list. Adept may be more appropriate, however.

BTW, how does dragon heritage affect alignment?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I like the concept!

Here's my suggestions:

1) -4 Str makes Kobolds unique. Don't take that away. Do give them stuff to make up for it. +2 Dex is fine.

2) Energy resistance is a great idea. Makes them more flavorfully Draconic. Look at the Mojh race from Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed for more ideas -- I like the idea of a 3-level PrC that boosts their energy resistance and gives them a breath weapon (which should do 3d8 energy damage in a 30 ft. line or 15 ft. cone, every 1d4+1 rounds).

3) Racial skill bonuses are a good way to make up for that -4 Str. In particular, I suggest: +4 Jump, +4 Climb, +4 Move Silently, +2 Listen, +2 Spot, +2 Search. Thus they make excellent Rogue-ish characters even if their Favored Class is Sorcerer.

4) Are you keeping the sunlight penalty? If so, perhaps they should get superior Darkvision, out to 90 ft. or even 120 ft. range.

5) As reptiles, they should get water-oriented bonuses. Perhaps they can hold their breaths for double the normal time (or just for an extra 1 minute as a flat bonus, to reduce high-level sillyness).

-- N

Nifft

Penguin Herder
THIS WRITE-UP KEPT FOR HISTORICAL VALUE ONLY -- go look at Kobold 2.0 lower in this same thread!

Kobold 1.0
Size: Small (+1 attack, +1 AC, +4 Hide, -4 Grapple, 3/4 carrying capacity)
Speed: 30 ft.
-4 Str, +2 Dex
Darkvision 60 ft.
Daylight Blindness: Dazzled by Daylight spell or natural sunlight

Draconic Heritage: Choose one chromatic Dragon type, which is your ancestor. Your scales are tinged with this color, and you have Energy Resistance 5 against damage of this energy type:
- Red: Fire
- Green: Acid
- Blue: Electricity
- Black: Acid
- White: Cold

Skill Bonuses: +4 Climb, +4 Jump, +4 Move Silently, +2 Spot, +2 Craft (Trapmaking), +2 Profession (Miner)

Favored Class: Sorcerer

Special: Kobolds may take a 4-level Racial Prestige Class. (As a PrC, these levels cannot cause an XP penalty.)

Kobold PrC
HD: d6
BAB: Half (as Sorcerer)
Good Saves: Reflex, Will / Bad Save: Fortitude
Skill Points: 4 + Int bonus
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowlege (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis) and Swim (Str).

Code:
[u]Level   BAB   Fort	Ref	Will	Spellcasting		Special Abilities[/u]
1	+0	+0	+2	+2	--			Sneak Attack +1d6
2	+1	+0	+3	+3	+1 Level Sorcerer	Energy Resistance 10
3	+1	+1	+3	+3	+1 Level Sorcerer	Sneak Attack +1d6
4	+2	+1	+4	+4	+1 Level Sorcerer	Breath Weapon

Special Abilities:
  • Energy Resistance 10 (Ex): This replaces (does not stack with) the racial energy resistance that the Kobold chose at character creation. His scales become more vibrant in color.
  • Breath Weapon (Su): The Kobold may use this special attack as a standard action once every 1d4+1 rounds. The DC is 10 + 1/2 the Kobold's character level + Con bonus, and the breath weapon deals 3d8 damage in the type & shape indicated:
    - Red: 15 ft. cone of Fire
    - Green: 15 ft. cone of Acid gas
    - Blue: 30 ft. line of Electricity
    - Black: 30 ft. line of Acid
    - White: 15 ft. cone of Cold

-- N

Last edited:

SteelDraco

First Post
Breath Weapon (Su): The Kobold may use this special attack as a standard action once every 1d4+1 rounds. The DC is 10 + 1/2 the Kobold's character level + Con bonus, and the breath weapon deals 3d8 damage in the type & shape indicated:
-- N
Every 1d4+1 rounds seems very excessive. That's easily a 2nd level spell you're giving the kobold dozens of times per day, usually twice in every fight. I'd probably scale it back to 3/day or 1/day per point of Con modifier. Also, don't kobolds have a point or two of natural armor?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Well, here's my treatment of kobolds, from a campaign where they are the predominant species. I do like the draconic flavors I'm seeing here, but mine are more independent; they're loosely related to dragons, not cousin to them.

Kobold
Small Humanoid
Speed: 30ft
Natural Armor Bonus: +1
Ability Score Bonus: -2 Str, +2 Dex, +2 Cha
Favored Class: Arcanist (sorcerer)
Alignment: Usually lawful evil
Other: Subterranean mastery, low-light vision, darkvision 60ft, light sensitive
LA: +0
ECL: 0

Kobolds are the undisputed masters of Gondwanaland, and consider themselves masters of all Gaea. They appear as short (average 3 feet tall), light (average 20 pounds) reptilian humanoids with rust-colored scales, long muzzles, small horns on the head and a thin tail. They are a subtle, crafty and treacherous people; almost all of them have at least one scheme to gain wealth, power or prestige at any given time. They live fast and die young; most kobolds expire by age 25 (it is therefore fortunate that kobolds are sexually mature at about 5). Kobolds speak Drakon and Infernal. They are mostly carnivores, feeding on vermin, tubers, lizards, small mammals and occasionally delicacies such as dinosaur meat.

Kobold society is strictly hierarchal, ruled by a king (usually with fiendish or draconic blood) and full of officials, bureaucracies, and divisions. The chief occupation of the kobold people is mining, as most kobolds live underground. Kobolds are also skilled smiths and trap makers, and their fortresses are practically impregnable. Most kobolds have some skill in the magical arts, and it is believed that they invented the science of arcanism.

The kobolds have completely subjugated their sister species, the urds. The urds are allowed some independence, working for wages instead of being enslaved. Also, the kobolds have more domesticated species then any other race, raising centipedes and giant cockroaches as food stock, spiders and scorpions as mounts and giant ants as mining aids.

Subterranean Mastery: Kobolds are experts at living underground, and all of them know how to make the most out of their cramped tunnels and survive. All kobolds have a +2 racial bonus to Craft (trapmaking), Profession (mining), and Search.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): Due to millennia of living underground, kobolds have sensitive eyes. Kobolds receive a –1 morale penalty to all attack rolls and saving throws made in daylight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Sorry about all of the flavor text.

Demiurge out.

Ferret

Explorer
Nifft said:
He wrote too much to say again, so I'm just saying, this

Wheres the metalic version? Hmm? HMM?!?! ;)

I'm also going to take this moment to express that Gollum in LOTR:TM acts just like what I expect a kobold to be like. Obsesive about shiney things, and angry about things being cooked.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Ferret said:
Wheres the metalic version? Hmm? HMM?!?! ;)

Good points all. Forgot about that Natural Armor thingy. That'll be useful.

As to only having the Chromatic versions, either:
1) color does not determine a dragon's alignment, only its breath weapon (as in my setting); or
2) that's why Kobolds are usually Evil.

Anyway, good food for thought, and I got to review the Mojh race in Monte Cook's Arcana Unearthed. So, here's my NEW, IMPROVED Kobold 2.0 (series premiere next Sunday on UPN!) :

Kobold 2.0
Size: Small (+1 attack, +1 AC, +4 Hide, -4 Grapple, 3/4 carrying capacity)
Speed: 30 ft.
-4 Str, +2 Dex
Darkvision 60 ft.
Natural Armor bonus +1
Daylight Blindness: Dazzled by Daylight spell or natural sunlight, no save vs. Flare spell

Draconic Heritage: Choose one chromatic Dragon type, which is your ancestor. Your scales are tinged with this color, and you have Energy Resistance 5 against damage of this energy type:
- Red: Fire
- Green: Acid
- Blue: Electricity
- Black: Acid
- White: Cold

Skill Bonuses: +2 Climb, +2 Jump, +2 Move Silently, +2 Spot, +2 Search, +2 Craft (Trapmaking), +2 Profession (Miner)

Favored Class: Sorcerer

Special: Kobolds may take a 4-level Racial Prestige Class. (As a PrC, these levels cannot cause an XP penalty.)

Kobold PrC
HD: d6
BAB: Half (as Sorcerer)
Good Saves: Reflex, Will / Bad Save: Fortitude
Skill Points: 4 + Int bonus
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowlege (any) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis) and Swim (Str).

Code:
[u]
Level  BAB /  F /  R /  W	Spellcasting	Special Abilities[/u]
1	+0 / +0 / +2 / +2	--		Energy Resistance 10, 
						Elemental Spell Power +1
2	+0 / +0 / +3 / +3	+1 Level Sorc	Sneak Attack +1d6, 
						Natural Armor +2
3	+1 / +1 / +3 / +3	--		Draconic Ability, 
						Elemental Spell Power +2
4	+2 / +1 / +4 / +4	+1 Level Sorc	Breath Weapon, 
						Natural Armor +3

Special Abilities:
  • Energy Resistance 10 (Ex): This replaces (does not stack with) the racial energy resistance that the Kobold chose at character creation. His scales become more vibrant in color.
  • Natural Armor (Ex): The specified value replaces the Kobold's racial Nagural Armor bonus.
  • Elemental Spell Power (Su): When casting spells with the energy descriptor that matches the Kobold's energy resistance, the character's Caster Level gains the indicated bonus.
  • Draconic Ability: The Kobold gains one ability based on its scale color as follows:
    - Red: Extra +1 Natural Armor bonus (Ex)
    - Green, Black: Water Breathing (Ex)
    - Blue: Create Water (Sp): 3/day, caster level = character level
    - White: Icewalking (Ex)
  • Breath Weapon (Su): The Kobold may use this special attack up to 4/day as a standard action once every minute. The DC is 10 + 1/2 the Kobold's character level + Con bonus, and the breath weapon deals 4d8 damage in the type & shape indicated:

It seems strong, but I don't know if it's too strong. The d6 HD makes it unattractive for warriors (like the -4 Str didn't hurt enough), while the -2 Caster Level hurts for Sorcerers. Could be useful for entering the Arcane Trickster PrC, or for picking up a few more skill points before entering Eldrich Knight.

It would be nice if there were some synergy with the Dragon Disciple PrC.

-- N

Last edited:

Remove ads