• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Malibu Stacey has a new hat!

wedgeski

Adventurer
I see it just took a little while longer than I expected for ENW to start groaning under the weight of the grumblies. :( Ah well, I'll look back over the last couple of days with fondness.

DungeonMaester

First Post
broghammerj said:
Ending of Dragon and Dungeon....

Yep, that is whats going on here.

My problem is that is not a new edition, but another revision of for the d20 (aka 3ed)

It is a revised hat but they say its a new hat.

This is unless they prove to change the rules rather then revise.
---Rusty

broghammerj

Explorer
Dire Bare said:
A lot of people are saying this, and maybe I missed something, but I don't remember any Wizards folks categorically stating, "we are not working on 4e."

Not working on 4e is different than, "4e is a long ways off".

Dire Bare said:
I think you are misremembering and/or misunderstanding the early pre-3e research Wizards did that Ryan Dancey talked about publicly. It was pretty clear that "splat" books, like the "Complete" line in 2e, were BIG sellers and quite successful. Multiple settings supported at once and tons of monthly output did create a situation where D&D was competing against itself.

I agree most of the focus was on multiple settings, but I think the overproduction of splat books in 2e is why I and others like me only bought a few from 3.5. Also the reason I will own only a few from 4th Ed.

Dire Bare said:
Um, they actually DID tell us that Dragon and Dungeon were moving to online formats pretty much right away. They just didn't give us the details until this weekend.

Online format is different than existing in some capacity online in the future.

Dire Bare said:
Why is marketing the D&D Insider hand-in-hand with D&D 4e a bad thing? If you don't care for the online component, you can ignore it regardless of when it is released. Their stated reason for 4e being released now is that their work on D&D Insider prompted the decision to role out 4e at the same time. They actually had very similar plans for the release of 3e (remember the "Character Generator" CD included with the 3.0 PHB?), but all sorts of crazy disaster struck and it never materialized.

Yeah, I remember the Character Generator. It sucked! Not because it didn't work. It worked fine. It sucked because it was never really supported. This is exactly what I fear for all the supposed Dungeon and Dragon content we are supposed to get online. WOTC doesn't strike me as a company that has delivered electronically or with their online content.

The point of my post was not that I dont support 4E. I am interested in some of the changes. If they are good enough I won't be upset. If I see Malibu Barbi in a new hat then I will be upset. I believe people are still upset with WOTC for the above reasons.

F4NBOY

First Post
It is a revised hat

The same way you said they need to prove that the rules are new, you also have to prove they are revised.
Since we know very little about the rules, and none of the sides can prove anything to the other side yet, your statement is completely flawed.

DungeonMaester

First Post
F4NBOY said:
The same way you said they need to prove that the rules are new, you also have to prove they are revised.
Since we know very little about the rules, and none of the sides can prove anything to the other side yet, your statement is completely flawed.

Had you looked one line down...

DungeonMaester said:
This is unless they prove to change the rules rather then revise

My money is on a revised hat.

---Rusty

carmachu

Adventurer
Not enough information at this time, yet. There are things I like that I hear, but things I'm seriously disliking...like:

Will the D&D Insider authors be considered "canon"? Yes, it is our
intention to treat this material as integral to the game and to the
campaign worlds.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
carmachu said:
Not enough information at this time, yet. There are things I like that I hear, but things I'm seriously disliking...like:
Why do you dislike it? They've said since before 4E was announced that DI stuff would appear in books, too.

MadMaxim

First Post
carmachu said:
How is that any different from how material in Dragon was presented as 100% official content? Articles about the different campaign settings were close to canon as well. Now it just gets online instead. The material stays the same.

Remove ads