Malibu Stacey has a new hat!

Tetsubo

First Post
haakon1 said:
So who doesn't like 4e? Is it bad because they're taking away our books and dice and making us play on computers?

Or because they're trying to sell the same stuff all over again, for the 4th time. That would be the Malibu Stacey answer, from a Simpson's episode about the owners of said toy brand sticking it to loyal consumers like Smithers by churning out lousy repetitive merchandise to the fawning masses who buy anything new as long as it says "Malibu Stacey" on it.

Perhaps, like Lisa, I should see what Malibu Stacey's original creator is doing, and check out C&C? :\

Or is there really nothing to be grumpy about? That seems unlikely. :(

Well, in my case I did check out C&C and really, really didn't like it. In fact I almost immediately sold it off to purchase more 3.5 books.

I've invested too much into 3.5 books to buy them all over again. I also don't like the DI model. In addition what art I have seen from 4E has really turned me off. Weapons illustrations that are even MORE unrealistic then 3.x... which I thought was impossible to achieve...

Turanil

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I've invested too much into 3.5 books to buy them all over again. I also don't like the DI model. In addition what art I have seen from 4E has really turned me off. Weapons illustrations that are even MORE unrealistic then 3.x... which I thought was impossible to achieve...
And what about 25th level spells? (as revealed by some WotC official) :p

EvilPheemy

First Post
If it were really based on Dragonball Z, entire game sessions would be filled with random screaming, and progressively impressive hairstyles!

DM: 4-Kou it is your initiative
4-Kou: I power up to Prestige Power level 2! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
DM; 4-Han what are you doing?
4-Han: I also power up to Prestige Power level 2! HYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
DM; 4-Boo powers up to Prestige Power level 10! RROAAAAAAAAAAAA!
4-Kou: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
4-Han: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
DM: OOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
4-Kou: AAAAAH!
4-Han: AAAAAH!
DM: OOOAAAH!
4-Kou: AAH!
4-Han: AAH!
DM: OAH!
DM: Look at the time, we'll have to finish the fight next week.
4-Kou: Cool! Great game tonight, see you Friday!
4-Han: I can't wait!

GreatLemur

Explorer
What's to be grumpy about? From where I'm sitting, it looks like they're giving me a bunch of stuff I've wanted for a long time. I cannot imagine a mindset that can just be satisfied with how things are, and react with annoyance when something better is offered.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Turanil said:
Yep, according to one of the R&D guys GenCon blog on the WOTC site, wizards will be casting 25th level spells in 4E. That was his "little secret" he was allowed to tell at GenCon.
The more I read about 4e, the more I am disgusted. 4e is really becoming not D&D but Dragon-Ball-Z...
You haven't realized that those 25th level spells are just what previous editions would call 9th level spells? It seems obvious to me that they're planning to do exactly what Monte Cook pushed for during the development of 3E: Caster level = maximum spell level. So instead of having 0-9th, you'd have 1-20th. The higher end spells of each level in the 0-9th scheme would get bumped up, spreading the old 10 spell levels across 20 character levels, and ending newbie confusion of the "If my Wizard is 3rd level, why can't I cast fireball?" variety.

Seeing as the new level scale goes from 1-30, I'm guessing that 25th-level spells aren't as absurdly powerful as you're thinking they are.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
EvilPheemy said:
If it were really based on Dragonball Z, entire game sessions would be filled with random screaming, and progressively impressive hairstyles!

Unless 4e requires of to have most of our sessions consist of internal monologue and endless sense motive and knowledge checks to completely analyse the enemy, with actual combat only every 3 months or so, 4e is not like Dragonball :p

occam

Adventurer
Turanil said:
I strongly suspect they are aiming this new edition at the 12-14 year old customer base. And I remember what it was playing DnD at that age of uber-munchkinery... I have found the post below extremely funny, and probably describing very well what 4e is going to be...

I think this might be the funniest part of that whole thing:

3rd Eye said:
DM: And in the center of the screen...

:lol:

Remove ads