Malvoisin's War of the Burning Sky PbP

gavagai

First Post
Hi
Never played on en.world before, but I'd love too as much as I am hyped on the WotBS saga. I have an office job, so I can post contionuously on weekdays at least, and often also on week ends. I'll throw my hat in the ring with two character concepts I came up with:

1) A gnome spontaneous caster, hailing from an isolationist clan more and more at odds with the aggressive and war torn outside world. He has learned to worship the benevolent spirits of air and earth as his family has done for generations, forces of nature which have always been regarded as gentle, yet forceful powers which grant the gnomes there arcane powers. His world is torn asunder as his ancient clan lands are pulled into the conflict, and transformed into the killing ground of one of Coaltongues major wars. His home is destroyed, and his fellow clan members are slain or captured by ruthless mercenaries in Coaltongues service. He flees into a hostile, dangerous world, and is shocked to find a people in constant fear of oppression and war. Also, he is appalled by the blasphemous enslavement of the powers of the spirits of air to this cause of destruction and war by Pilus and others. Driven by a feeling somewhere between vengeance for his clan and loyalty for the spirits of air, and naive about the powers arrayed against him, he vows to undo this great evil ... once he has found the means to do so. Neutral good, could be a Sorcerer / Elemental Savant (Air) or a Bard.

2) An elven ranger from the border wardens of Shahalesti. Son of a minor courtier in the countries capital, he always felt a stranger in the kingdoms capitol, with all its intrigues and politicking, and felt more of a calling towards the simpler life his brethren in other elven realms enjoy. As a child, he was an acquaintance of princess Shalosha, and was deeply hurt when she ridiculed his love for the simple life in the woods. That day, he set out and volunteered to serve as runner, guide and protector on one of the kingdoms borders. But whenever he returned to the border towns of Shahalesti, he felt more and more estranged by the talk about the alliance with Ragesia, and the warlike attitude of the king and, in his view, the entire Shahalesti court. He decides to leave his assignment and travel to the strange lands of Ragesia for himself. He is a loner, and is far better at talking with small badgers and wolves then with elves and humans. Chaotic good, preference for an archer build.

Let me know what you think.

Malvoisin

First Post
Nightbreeze said:
Want me to come with some different concept? Just tell me, I can create them as easily as a first level cleric creates water :D
It's up to you, but an additional concept that differs more substantially from the other two would increase your odds of acceptance....

So, that's a long way of saying 'Yes, please.' ;)

Malvoisin

First Post
@gavagai: Both very good submissions, thank you very much! :)

@ALL: I have updated the first post with a running list of people who have expressed interest in this game, and character ideas submitted so far. I will keep this updated as more character submissions come in.

I am perusing the references Morrus sent me, and they look great! They're only serving to reinforce my desire to run this game. There's so much material, though, that I think I'll just open myself up for questions, rather than try to condense or summarize it here. Don't forget, the player's guide should be available to all within a week or so, anyway.

Keep the submissions coming, folks! Good stuff! :)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Okay, Mal. I can't resist. So here's a few concept that are totally not insane. Really. I promise.

Coldan Ciandra (Knight [PHBII]) Once a fierce knight in the service of the mighty Ragesian Empire, someone or something caused him to betray his former cause, earning him a black mark and exile. Despised at home, thought of as an enemy in Shahalesti, he has found a begrudging home in Gate Pass. They may not like him, but they tolerate him.

Coldan is a melee role, aggro specifically. He's LG, but a sour form of it, and unhappy with his life. He'd take any chance to take a cause that feels right to him, just to feel that void in him. Right now, I see his as staying knight, but who knows?

BTW: You may wish to look are our LEB discussion of the knight if you have any concerns about the class.

Dorian Bane (Bard) Optimist. Rogue. Rapscallion. Those were the kinder words that described Dorian Bane, a card sharp and adventurer extraordinaire. Nothing ever seemed to get the Dorian down, and he always had a witticism and a wry smile to go with any situation---though most of the time it was enough to irk whomever he was talking to.

Dorian is some sort of bard/rogue hybrid. Might be some interesting things from Complete Scoundrel in the future, or just from Complete Adventurer. Who knows? His main role would be support and general quipiness.

Oh, and Mal, you do know one of the authors. "O, Wintry Song of Agony" is written by good ole LO.

Gli'jar

First Post
Character Concept 1 (Staying at home with a sick baby in my arms. I get to be creative)

“How shall a man escape from that which is written; How shall he flee from his destiny?” Master Kai Kaous asked.

Awakening from the vision, mindful of the spirits he made his offering before rising. The vision had shown him that a dark cloud was spreading over the land, moving as night proceeds the waning hours of day. It was heavy and thick, and no light could pierce it, neither could fires be seen across its midst. It was dark as pitch, its depth fathomless. From the depth emerged an army led by bear clad men purging the magics before them. They were followed by a rain of stones and javelins. The cities of men could not behold their source, neither could they defend themselves or stand against those arts of magic. They broke and those that fled wandered astray in their distress, and no man could find his fellow. In survival, they fell upon each other, their cries akin to the mewling distress of hungered beasts and in this hour their hearts were corrupted.

The next vision was of the morning, transient and insubstantial. Glory was risen upon the world, and there stood a gathering of a few individuals. Those in the darkness could not see it, for the light of their eyes was gone out and the hope was nebulous at best. Struck blind by the vision, Kai Kaous wept sore, either out of despair or in the understanding that hoped remained. He cried out in his distress.

Standing in the doorway a village girl responded to his call. In his time of pain, the heart of the girl went out to him and there was born to her a son, goodly of mien, and Kai named him Baba’Mal. He consulted the spirits concerning him, and searched the stars for his destiny. As instructed, he guided Baba’Mal in the mysterious powers of commanding of the elements, spirit forces and the powers of nature.

From his home in the Otdar Mountains, Baba’Mal made his way to Gate Pass. It had been 3 years since his masters death and it was time to leave the relative comfort of the dilapidated cottage. As he traveled through the frigid cold, he was reminded that he was brought into the world out of necessity, and that his training was all that truly mattered. A small bit of magic surrounded him in a nimbus of light before fading giving him respite from the biting cold.

In the week of traveling to Gate Pass he had learned much from the inns that dotted the road to Gate Pass. His friendly demeanor and good looks opened doors to which his sharp mind could exploit. “The Scourge is advancing, Leska is attempting to cement his control.”, he thought as a bitter blast of air drove back his cloak blowing his long braided hair free of its confines. The long black hair stood contrast against his pale skin and snow covered landscape and hardly protected the young handsome face from the strafing ice shards blown about in the wind, “I must avail myself. There is much to be done.” Pushing himself forward on the well traveled road, Gate Pass soon rose before the steeled blue eyes of the young man.

Baba’Mal, human, Wu Jen, male, slight build, blue eyes, black hair. Independent, driven, indifferent, naive. Neutral bent. Future advancement possible elementalist focus on metal as element?

Concept 2
‘Thanks for the drink friend. What was that you were asking, yeah, yeah, listen, you know the saying, “Some for the Glories of This World; and some sigh for the Prophet's Paradise to come; Ah, take the Cash, and let the Credit go, nor heed the rumble of a distant Drum!” Well the second part, it applies to that fella over there. An’ that drum when it’s a beating you will find him frothing and foaming. Yeah that big brute of a man with the shaved head and tattoos the one you was asking about. His name, give me a minute, Bassan Thenar if memory is correct. Mercenary he is, been here for a few weeks looking for employment. Northern tribes that one, don’t know how he got down ere but for the right price he will follow you to lands end. No worries about turning stag with that one either his word is as good as gold from what I hear. Said he helped some travelers too in the woods, protected and provided for them until they were able to make it to town. He ain’t the sharpest blade in the foundry but his loyalty to his fellows gives him high marks in my books. He had been serving with the guild between Gate Pass and Ragesia up till recently protecting cargo before it became too dangerous, if you get my meaning. You see he comes back to town the other day bearing some grievous wounds and some wayward tralelers. Word is he upset one of them inquisitors helping them travelers, wouldn’t take no lip from the fellow, showed him who the real beast was. Don’t know how much you buy into that screed but he hasn’t been one to confirm of deny it he just smiles that crooked smile of his. He been drinking a bit and by the looks of it he be done eating. Buy him another round an go have your word with em mister, he may bite what you are offering.’

Bassan Thenar, Human, Barbarian (SRD Boar Variant) CG, male, massive, large girth (picture the professional strong men competitions, not wholey define but very large individuals, not very dexterous due to their mass), future davancement ??

Last edited:

Malvoisin

First Post
stonegod said:
Okay, Mal. I can't resist. So here's a few concept that are totally not insane. Really. I promise.
Mmm-hmm, we'll see about that, won't we? :lol:

Good concepts, stonegod. But then, I expected nothing less. To be honest, I'm rather intrigued about the Knight class, not leery of it as I've seen that some are.

stonegod said:
Oh, and Mal, you do know one of the authors. "O, Wintry Song of Agony" is written by good ole LO.
Ah, yes, I should have remembered that, from the e-mails I exchanged with Fellipe last year. Very interesting indeed...

Erekose13

Explorer
I'll work on full concepts a bit better just wanted to check on sources.

1. Warforged (or dwarf) Warblade
2. whisper gnome shadowcaster

Don't suppose Morrus would let you share that Players Guide with your hopefuls eh?

Remove ads