• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Manager's Suck

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Moderator's Notes:

C'mon, y'all know that insults are not allowed. If you've got a problem with someone's post, report it: don't respond in kind.

Daniel

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Wow, your managers DO suck! I used to have a similar job to DerianCypher at a books/music/video superstore. Of course I'm confused as to why you would be responsible for counting the money, but not have keys to the safe. That is besides the point and maybe I just am not fully understanding your position, but the point of the thread is that screwing with someone to "teach them a lesson" is a very poor way to manage. Forget the fact that what was done was acceptable company procedure, even if it was not, that kind of behavior is uncalled for. Write the person up, fire them if you feel they are not trustworthy or respsonsible enough, but intentionally causing someone that kind of stress is unprofessional. Managers are supposed to set the example.

JamesDJarvis

First Post
DerianCypher said:
.. although she had told me leaving change bags/drawers out was okay so long as no one was in the office.

shattered trust? yep. bad blood? yep. One pissed off employee? definately.

sigh.. managers suck

DC

Would you have rather been fired or arrested?

Henry

Autoexreginated
JamesDJarvis said:
Would you have rather been fired or arrested?

My question is: For what? Assuming all facts are correct, sounds like procedures were followed to the letter, EXCEPT by the manager who decided to play games.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Henry's right...if the OP gave accurate information, then the manager screwed around with him to "teach him a lesson" for something she had told him he could do.

Quasqueton

First Post
Two retail stories:

Story one:

Back in college, I worked in the camera/electronics department of a retail store. We kept the camera/camcorders (then priced at ~$1,000) in locked glass cases. We should have all had keys to the cases, but sometimes we had more people working than we had keys. (Like 4 keys, 8 employees.)

One moderately busy day, I saw a salesman and a customer talking over a camcorder at the electronics counter. A few minutes later when I came back to the counter, I saw the camcorder sitting out on the counter, but no salesman or customer.

Figuring the salesman had forgot to put the camcorder back up (big no-no), and not having a key to the glass case, I grabbed the camcorder and put it in our special electronics storeroom (right behind the electronics counter; safe with the camcorders still in boxes). I went to help another customer.

The camcorder was safe/secure, and would be found as soon as someone walked into the storeroom. I'd explain to the salesman later if he didn't figure it out on his own. I even told another salesman what I had done (he didn't have a key either).

Unbeknownst to me, the salesman and customer had just walked around the corner to look at something else. And, the camcorder actually belonged to the customer. The customer had brought it in to get some minor tech help (RTFM-type thing). So the camcorder was the customer's responsibility and decision.

Both men were surprised and upset (especially the customer) when they came back to the counter and found the camcorder missing. The salesman picked up the phone and called the customer service desk at the front of the store (and could see everyone coming and going).

Salesman to phone: "Have you seen anyone leave the store with an unboxed camcorder? . . . You did?"

At this point the customer bolted away from the electronics department (located at the very back of the store). Apparently he was going to run and catch the thief.

The salesman clarified with the customer service desk: they had seen someone come in with an unboxed camcorder. But the customer was already gone in a dead run.

Our store was located inside a small "mall". So leaving our front doors put the customer in a large atrium-like place. He continued his running out of the mall. But in his haste, he didn't realize that there was glass panels and doors before you got fully outside the mall. He ran headlong into the glass panel.

Fortunately for him, the glass panel did not break, but it rebounded him back about ten feet, stunned and bleeding from the head and nose. Paramedics came and took him away to the hospital. Blood and snot were smeared on the glass panel and dribbled on the floor where he fell nearly unconcious.

Meanwhile, I am completely ignorant of all this. It wasn't till nearly an hour later that I got the chance to tell the salesman, and I learned all the drama that followed. I went out and saw the scene of the accident. The handful of electronics salesmen who knew what I had done never told anyone. We all laughed our heads off for a long time (we were young), but no one got in any trouble.

Story two:

Same store. Each morning, one of the opening duties was for a salesman to count up the camcorders in stock and record the number in a security book. The number should match the number written from the night before. Through the day, as camcorders were sold, the salesman would record the sale in the security book. At night, one of the closing duties was to count up the camcorders in stock and record the number in the security book. The number should match the morning number minus any sold that day.

The morning crew was usually full-time employees. The evening crew was usually college kid part-timers. It was suspected that some of the college kids were not actually counting the stock, but were just writing down the "correct" calculated number.

During a discussion one morning (the department manager, the department assistant manager, and me) about the subject and suspicion, I suggested to the department manager that he write down a very wrong number for the morning count and see if the closing crew copied that number. So instead of writing down 32 camcorders (the correct count), he wrote down 45 camcorders. Three of us knew what he had done. The next day he would have clear evidence that the night crew was "cheating".

It just so happened that that day, the corporate security chief came to the store for a surprise inspection. (Good lord, but that was incredibly bad timing.) He wasn't there for any reason other than just a random check. One of the things he checked was the camcorder security sheet. He and the store manager found the big discrepancy, and called the electronics department manager in for a meeting.

The department manager caught hell. His explanation and offer of witnesses (the assistant manager and myself) was apparently not good enough. Oh, it was bad. He came back to the department and told us what had happened. The security chief told him he was not to do a trick like that ever again. If he suspected cheating, he was to just tell the night crew the rules. (Hell, they knew the rules and were ignoring them.)

Quasqueton

DerianCypher

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
Of course I'm confused as to why you would be responsible for counting the money, but not have keys to the safe.

I was coming in for a shift change.. so the person who did have the keys was out and about in the store and I had to get him and count in the change fund before I got the keys.

DC

Remove ads