Mando season 3

Zardnaar

Legend
It does, yeah, and DS9 being available is a big part of why it's star has risen so much. A lot of people missed it at the time, or watched it as kids and didn't quite get it, but it holds up really well. Whereas TNG has some great stuff but also a lot of questionable stuff.

Turns out a lot of 90's shows I only watched the first season or 2 (Friends, DS9, TNG). This was partly due to tineslots/life in general. Never saw TNG in its entirety or DS9 or ToS.

Thought ToS was eh in 80's, TNG didn't care although I like First Contact and had vague fond memories if DS9 which was probably season 1&2.

Discovery and Picard get a lot of flak online but they're vetter than TNG/Voyager season 1/2 mein gott they're bad. Gave up on Votagers few episodes in skipped to season 3 TNG after trying to watch season 2 (watched some recommended episode's eg Measure of a Man).

MGibster

Legend
The problem is with the insistence on faux-militarizing and military fetishization of everything (the one great thing about Roddenberry was that he objected to this), combining with the need to make every super-dramatic all the time lest someone glance at their phone or something.
Roddenberry kind of changed over the years. He didn't have a problem with the idea that Starfleet was a military organization in the original series, but by the time Wrath of Khan rolled around he objected to that idea strongly for some reason. But I do agree with you, people will have meetings during a crisis situation in order to figure out the best solution. Kirk certainly held such meetings. And I also have to agree with you about themes, characterization, and plot. The best Trek episodes no matter the series have those in spades.

Andor was great, but like Rogue One, it didn't feel like a Star Wars movie to me. I enjoyed the first epoisode of Mandalorian season 3, but I think the show might be getting a little stale. I typically like a show for a few seasons and then I'll stop watching it, but that's just me. The big fight at the beginning of the episode seemed rather pointless to me. Nice to see the space whales back though.

FB_IMG_1677987053363.jpg

Bolares

Hero
I think people are being a bit harsh. Sure the episode was lackluster and lacked any sort of focus. The mandalorians looked really stupid fighting the big monster. But Mandalorian has a great record in my opinion and one bad first episode doesn't give me a lot of fear. Mandalorian has had some bad episodes before, but always managed to pull trough in my opinion. I'm still looking foward to the rest of the season.

But Mandalorian has a great record in my opinion and one bad first episode doesn't give me a lot of fear.
I think the issue is that for a lot of people (it's not just people on this board, I note), there's a real concern that The Mandalorian doesn't really have a "great record", particularly since Boba Fett, which had the same writer and showrunner - Jon Favreau (note: not Dave Filoni).

As you say, there have always been bad episodes of The Mandalorian, but Boba Fett was basically six bad episodes in a row (on top of previous bad episodes), and it itself made sure it was part of the Mandalorian deal by dedicating two of its episodes to being Mandalorian episodes .

And the specific flaws we're seeing here? Plots going nowhere, general incoherency/lack of focus, everyone seeming like chumps/idiots? Those were all prominent issues with Boba Fett, so instead of there being a clean break from Fett, and the issues with that being left behind, people are sort of left to dwell on them.

Is it possible Favreau will get it together, and that this is just a clumsy setup/segue episode? It definitely is, and I think everyone hopes that is the case, but it was a very weak episode, and deserves to be called out for that. Let's hope it's the odd one out.

Bolares

Hero
I think the issue is that for a lot of people (it's not just people on this board, I note), there's a real concern that The Mandalorian doesn't really have a "great record", particularly since Boba Fett, which had the same writer and showrunner - Jon Favreau (note: not Dave Filoni).

As you say, there have always been bad episodes of The Mandalorian, but Boba Fett was basically six bad episodes in a row (on top of previous bad episodes), and it itself made sure it was part of the Mandalorian deal by dedicating two of its episodes to being Mandalorian episodes .

And the specific flaws we're seeing here? Plots going nowhere, general incoherency/lack of focus, everyone seeming like chumps/idiots? Those were all prominent issues with Boba Fett, so instead of there being a clean break from Fett, and the issues with that being left behind, people are sort of left to dwell on them.

Is it possible Favreau will get it together, and that this is just a clumsy setup/segue episode? It definitely is, and I think everyone hopes that is the case, but it was a very weak episode, and deserves to be called out for that. Let's hope it's the odd one out.
I disagree that boba Fett counts as The Mandalorian. Dave Filoni is a great part of the show.

Remove ads