Mapping Programs

ladyofdragons

First Post
CC2 has many different symbols, and has recently come out with two new symbol sets "overland" and "dungeon", which were created by professional artists. I have the overland one, I find its symbols much nicer than the originals. It's possible to create your own symbols too, if you're artistically inclined. You can also edit symbols.

Looking at the example map you showed, one of the things that makes it look much better than what I've seen as an average CC2 map is the coloring. If you look at other FM sample maps on their page, they're about on par with most CC2 maps. it's amazing how getting away from the 16-color palate can enhance the look of a map. But, I must admit the symbols on this FM map are gorgeous. I wonder if it's possible to convert them...

CC2 is a huge solution. When you add on all the additions (Dungeon Designer, City Designer, Fractal Terrains) it becomes system that lets you do most anything. Create a global map in FT where you can raise and lower oceans and mountains, export it to CC2, and create country maps. copy sections of the map out for closeup city maps, using City Designer's 'snap to road' function to create instant rows of houses.

For someone like me, who got CC2 v5 and has been purchasing each new solution as it came out, the cost isn't so bad (I believe I paid $65 for CC2, and I'm going to pay $15 to upgrade to v6 this week so I can check out CC2Pro). For someone new to mapping, it probably seems like a huge price, and will be a rather large learning curve. But the control that it gives and the fact that the product has a massive following and shows no signs of letting up on new development make it a good solution for someone who likes mapping.

p.s. - to change the color or size of an item in CC2, just select it and right-click to bring up the options menu. from there you can change the color or scale to scale to a size. scaling takes some practice.

Last edited:

MJEggertson

First Post
Re: Thanks for the info

themeecer said:
Edit: MJEggertson I can't get your map to show up anymore.

I moved to a new host and new domain name, and just earlier today, remembered to change the link. Only been there a few days though, so it may still take a while for the dns registration to propagate through the ether.

Remove ads