D&D 5E Marilith reactive thingy

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I means the marilith can take a reaction on it turn and any turn of another combatant; though I would probably limit to the the marilith's and the PCs & allies.

Would it matter? Would her own allies be doing things that would provoke reactions from her?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Would it matter? Would her own allies be doing things that would provoke reactions from her?
Huh. How does Ready work with multiple reactions? The rules section says you ready an action for a trigger and then use your reaction to take it, but not how that might interact with multiple unrestricted reactions. I mean, I know that I would laugh and say, "nope," but it's an interesting thought.

Huh. How does Ready work with multiple reactions? The rules section says you ready an action for a trigger and then use your reaction to take it, but not how that might interact with multiple unrestricted reactions. I mean, I know that I would laugh and say, "nope," but it's an interesting thought.

A Marilith using its action for a Ready action would be quite rare in my opinion. What Chaotic Evil being is going to swap 7 attacks for maybe 1? I suppose it might use it to teleport if the PCs get aggressive after it suggests a parley.

That said, if a Marilith did choose the Ready action to make a single weapon attack, if the trigger occurs and the Marilith makes its single attack with its Reaction that turn, that is that. That is the end of the Ready action - it would not carry over to multiple Reactions, even if the same trigger occurred again.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
A Marilith using its action for a Ready action would be quite rare in my opinion. What Chaotic Evil being is going to swap 7 attacks for maybe 1? I suppose it might use it to teleport if the PCs get aggressive after it suggests a parley.

That said, if a Marilith did choose the Ready action to make a single weapon attack, if the trigger occurs and the Marilith makes its single attack with its Reaction that turn, that is that. That is the end of the Ready action - it would not carry over to multiple Reactions, even if the same trigger occurred again.
Where does it say it doesn't carry over? It says that you usually get one reaction in the ready rules, but it doesn't ever call out the Ready ends on the use of a reaction. It's like they note that other rules will mean it happens once, but the Marilith changes those other rules. And, a Marilith with lots of minions around could definitely get lots of additional attacks out of a recurrent trigger Ready action. Theoretically, of course, I'd not entertain this as anything other than a thought experiment.

MarkB

Legend
Quite possibly. For instance, there are some spells and effects which force a creature to use its reaction to move. If one of the marilith's allies uses such an ability on its turn to make a creature move past the marilith, the marilith would get an opportunity attack.

As another example, one of the marilith's allies might get dominated and commanded to attack the marilith, in which case the marilith may wish to use its Parry reaction.

Where does it say it doesn't carry over? It says that you usually get one reaction in the ready rules, but it doesn't ever call out the Ready ends on the use of a reaction. It's like they note that other rules will mean it happens once, but the Marilith changes those other rules. And, a Marilith with lots of minions around could definitely get lots of additional attacks out of a recurrent trigger Ready action. Theoretically, of course, I'd not entertain this as anything other than a thought experiment.

I'd say it is implicit. It says Ready action. One action not multiple. Therefore, when the chosen trigger occurs and the Action is completed, the "Ready" is finished.

At the end of the day, though, the Marilith is a monster so it really doesn't have to follow PC rules. So, yeah, I guess I take it all back. :) But, as DM, I would not pull the Ready action cheese of giving the Marilith multiple regular attacks just because I'm having it choose to Ready on its own turn. The Parry Reaction seems quite strong enough against the typical party.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
I'd say it is implicit. It says Ready action. One action not multiple. Therefore, when the chosen trigger occurs and the Action is completed, the "Ready" is finished.

At the end of the day, though, the Marilith is a monster so it really doesn't have to follow PC rules. So, yeah, I guess I take it all back. :) But, as DM, I would not pull the Ready action cheese of giving the Marilith multiple regular attacks just because I'm having it choose to Ready on its own turn. The Parry Reaction seems quite strong enough against the typical party.
Oh, agreed, on all counts, except that "implicit" isn't a terribly good way to go for rules.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If the Marilith had a ready-on-every-other-creature's-turn Reaction to attack an enemy that moves out of her AoO zone, and an ally that can do this : You frighten one creature which must immediately use its Reaction to flee your presence ... then the ally can scare a PC to send it running, and the Marilith can whack the PC on his/her way out - on the ally's turn. If the Marilith has several such allies (and is standing next to the Exit), it could strike several PCs before its own turn came up again.

Hmmmm...

Remove ads