Marking, bloodied etc.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Litko Aero also makes a line of laser-etched plastic markers for 4E. They also have some 3D markers for other types of table top games.

4E Tokens: Litko Aerosystems, Inc.

Hope that helps.

I use Litko's 4e markers. Additionally their "Red Mini Skulls" markers are great for "bloodied," and I use their small targeting markers for "marked."

I'd link to them, but I can't seem to access their website at the moment.

Their official names, from my invoice, are:
Mini Skulls (Set of 15) Blood Red $4.99
Targeting Reticules (Mini, set of 10) $4.99

Very cool stuff.

juggler434

First Post
We use poker chips in our group. Red for bloodied, Green for hunter's quarry, blue for fighters mark, and white for our warlock's curse. You can see them really well, but they are a little bigger than the squares on the mat, so when things get crowded it gets a little confusing.

Nytmare

David Jose
We have colored counters for each player's marks (or mark analogues), and red glass beads to track bloodied(ness?), but I find that a color coded army of counters to track all the various conditions leads to it's own form of bookeeping that I'd rather not deal with. I find that the time spent digging through a stack of counters to find the right one takes longer than most conditions are even around.

To track conditions, I have a space on my initiative/combat tracker where I just type it in, and it highlights the person and reminds me.

snotling

Explorer
I just picked up some 1" wooden circles from the local hobby store and painted them whatever colors I want. they fit under the minis and they work pretty good.

Steve Jung

Explorer
We use poker chips in our group. Red for bloodied, Green for hunter's quarry, blue for fighters mark, and white for our warlock's curse. You can see them really well, but they are a little bigger than the squares on the mat, so when things get crowded it gets a little confusing.
1-inch diameter poker chips exist.

Syrsuro

First Post
1-inch diameter poker chips exist.

Well - 1 1/4 inch chips definately exist and are often called 1" chips. Unfortunately, the are too large to fit in a square.

I haven't yet found true 1" chips by themselves.

That said, I have used chips from a game called "Sequence" which has true 1" chips in three colors (red, blue and green).

I tend to use:

1) Alea markers (provided by one of my players) for marks, etc. Note: These have an annoying tendency to push each other around or jump together due to magnetism. Especially when used with unmagnetised miniatures.

2) The above mentioned Sequence chips (red) or Alea markers (red) for bloodied.

3) Flat glass marbles in a variety of colors for save ends and other short duration effects (any craft store will have a half-dozen or more colors).

I'm still looking for the ideal system.

The next component I want to add is a number or letter designator to make it easier to keep track of which critter is which. I'm thinking some form of marker attached to the top of the base with Handitak at present.

I also need some 2" square markers for large creatures, especially red for bloodied.

(Aside: I also cut some squares of plexiglass in various sizes to use to mark zones and other persistant area effects. This allows the terrain to be seen through them while still allowing their extent to be readily visible.)

Carl

Last edited:

Syrsuro

First Post
I use my own condition markers...
My homemade condition tokens « Newbie DM

I keep track of who is who by using tokens, it's easier for me and leads to faster game play.

Tokens are a quick and fast approach - the problem (such as it is) arises when stacking them. What I like about the Alea tools is the ability to look at a stack and see red, green, and blue: "Ah, that one is bloodied, the ranger's quarry and marked by the fighter." Or perhaps even red, green, blue, white and yellow - although once a creature goes beyond triple stacked, death seems to quickly follow in our group.

I'm afraid Stacks of paper tokens to not give that same quick analysis of the situation.

The other approach I have not yet tried, but suspect would work well, would be checkers of a design with interlocking teeth designed for stacking when being kinged. These ought to stack well (forming a stable stack is a key criteria, imho) and should be able to be found in the right size. Every now and then I head over to the EBAY game parts listing to look for some.

Carl

Neubert

First Post
I went to my local DIY-store and got 5 of those paper paint samples for the colors white, red, black, blue, green and yellow/orange. I cut them out in roughly 1 inch squares and they now represent marking, curses and so on (and bloodied of course). A great (and free!) way of making markers/tokens - just remember to ask in the store if it is alright you take a bunch of the samples.
Only problem is that you can’t really stack a lot of them and still easily see each one (like with colored 1″ poker chips).

Remove ads