• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Martial Power 2 - Comments, Reviews, Noteworthy Stuff?

renau1g

First Post
Yes, it's barbarian only, and no, bastard swords do not have the off-hand trait so cannot be thrown with Hurl Weapon.

You can hybrid with barbarian, take Whirling Slayer as Hybrid Talent and *bam* now you can treat one-handed weapons as off-hand weapons. Not sure if the Ranger Two-Weapon Fighting Style would qualify also, might depend on DM.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Steely Persuasion Fighter Utility 10
Your skill with the blade is enough to daunt even stalwart foes.
Encounter. Martial Free Action Personal
Trigger: You make an Intimidate check or a Streetwise check
Requirement: You must be wielding a melee weapon.
Effect: You gain a bonus to the skill check equal to the weapon's proficiency bonus plus the weapon's enhancement bonus.

I really like this fighter utility power. Yes, it is powerful, but the visual image is amazing. ALso good for non-combat uses, which is rare.

DracoSuave

First Post
You can hybrid with barbarian, take Whirling Slayer as Hybrid Talent and *bam* now you can treat one-handed weapons as off-hand weapons. Not sure if the Ranger Two-Weapon Fighting Style would qualify also, might depend on DM.

Or I can use a farbond Fullblade and not hybrid and be able to toss-and-charge.

Three feats to do something less powerful than one is bad CharOp.

Insight

Adventurer
The new Ranger class feature, Running Attack, appears to need errata or revision. According to the feature, if you use a standard action that lets you move (and this right here is ambiguous -- "lets you move" or "forces you to charge/move"?), and you end that movement at least 2 squares away from where you began that move, you gain a bonus to attack rolls as part of that standard action.

I went through the PHB, MP1, and MP2 and found very few Ranger powers that "let you move" as part of a standard action. A few force you to charge, so I suppose that should be included. Now, if it's intended to include shifts, it opens up a lot more possibilities. Unfortunately, the two examples given of qualifying powers/abilities (charging and the Skirmish Shot power) are moves and not shifts.

If this is pretty much meant only for charging, I suppose that's all right, although in that case, pairing it up with the new Hunter Fighting Style is a little odd, considering that appears to be targeted at ranged characters.

DracoSuave

First Post
Now, if it's intended to include shifts, it opens up a lot more possibilities.

That's a BINGO!

Shifting is still moving.

But, it's better than what melee rangers get which is... well... nothing at all.

As for Hunters.... they're ranged/melee hybrids. They're designed to switch back and forth at will, hense the QuickDraw and QuickSheathe abilities. Plus the handful of Dexterity melee attacks.

Last edited:

Insight

Adventurer
That's a BINGO!

Shifting is still moving.

Well, that's the part that's open for debate. Shifting and moving are different things in the rules and the two examples given are moves and not shifts. I can't imagine they meant move only because they are few Ranger powers that would fit this ability. It certainly needs to be clarified.

DracoSuave

First Post
Well, that's the part that's open for debate. Shifting and moving are different things in the rules.

No. Shifting is moving with special rules attached. When you are shifting, you are moving.

SHIFT: MOVE ACTION
Movement: Move 1 square.

When said thing says 'Move' as part of its rules text, you are moving.

There is no debate on it that is open and rational.

oakbriar

First Post
But, it's better than what melee rangers get which is... well... nothing at all.

not entirely true. any of the "gain prime shot bonus with melee" feats + Called Shot (D368) still seems worth it for a constant +1 on attacks/+5 on damage, but then again, that doesn't happen until paragon.

oakbriar

First Post
Oooh, I was just taking a gander through MP1 and remembered the Avalanche Hurler PP. With Marauder style, this PP looks a lot more appealing.

Increased thrown dmg dice, some decent damaging powers, and an even better version of the Hunter style's quick draw? Seems pretty win.

N0Man

First Post
I kind of wish they had included the section, "What is a Martial Power", which gives a fluff explanation for the power source. Another section describes in character ways that one might describe/explain regaining of your expended exploits.

I didn't need such a thing, however maybe the existence of it could have cooled some really ridiculous edition war arguments and complaints about martial powers being "magic".

They seemed to have a greater amount of fluff and flavor text than most of the 4E books have, which also might appeal to some. There's even a nice little section using your choice of weapon (flavor wise) be distinctive and expressive regarding your character, beyond the numbers, and a martial character's relationship with them (as an example).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads