Marvel Studios Disney+ spot

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Agreed. The comics story they seem to be drawing inspiration from includes, of all things, Wanda having children by Vision. Which, of course, is impossible because Vision is not a biological organism.
Impossible LoL

we’re on a DnD board talking about Marvel comics - nothing is impossible

also MCU Vision is Organic, his body was formed in the Regeneration Cradle using lab-grown tissue fused with vibranium (one of its many properties), so theres already canon to “make it so”

“The regeneration Cradle prints tissue; it can’t build a living body." - Dr Helen Cho
"It can, you can. You lacked the materials. You’re a brilliant woman, Helen” - Ultron

Last edited:

I think the WandaVision is pulling heavily from the Tom King Vision comic series from a few years back.
It looks really interesting to me, can't wait.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well 'impossible'? We're talking comics here.

Well, yes, but the fact that the Vision can't actually father children is kind of an important point to the plot in the comics....

And if it is set in a mental construct, no reason they can't create kids mentally.

In the comics, the kids are entirely real.

Maybe you folks don't realize the scope of Scarlet Witch's powers in the comics. She doesn't just play a few mind games and blast red energy around. She's reality-altering.

She conceives the kids via magic, but that goes awry as she seems to have taken the soul-energy necessary from a bad guy (Master Pandemonium). Other magical heroes return the soul energy, and wipe Scarlet Witch's mind of the whole debacle. But mind-wipes are never reliable...

One of the Avengers (Wasp) actually mocks her ability to have children. This brings back memories, and she's seriously cheesed off. With a bit of extra-planar help, she launches a campaign of terror against the Avengers for what has happened to her, killing several Avengers....

Then, realizing that it looks like the Avengers and X-Men have decided to just try to kill her, her brother (Quicksilver) convinces her to create a whole new reality, in which everyone is just happy (the "House of M" if you care to look into the comics). Magneto eventually figures out what was going on, and kills Quicksilver for it. Now, completely enraged, Scarlet Witch ressurects her brother... and then de-powers 90% of the mutant population as a bunch of meddling jackasses.

And, somewhere in all this, her children are reincarnated/resurrected. They are the current heroes Wiccan and Speed.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Maybe you folks don't realize the scope of Scarlet Witch's powers in the comics. She doesn't just play a few mind games and blast red energy around. She's reality-altering.

Oh, I know. I also recall that a substantial portion of that ability only works when she's completely bonkers. When Wanda is more or less stable she either wont (or can't) use that kind of power. However, given that she can do such things the general consensus currently is that she's teetering on the edge of just blowing everything up and making comics Thanos a happy camper.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But if you try to explain them to someone who hasn't been following them, they always come off as some sort of half-baked attempt of a very drunk person to explain the plot of a soap opera, except with less continuity and sense.

No argument there. Comics are wacky melodrama, that's for sure.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
While I wasn't aware of the details, I've always been aware Scarlet Witch is far more powerful and versatile in the comics. But like the movies, I expect WandaVision to take inspiration from the comics, but very much do their own thing.

MarkB

Legend
Having stalled out on the latest season of Titans, I'm just hoping we get a show or two in which superheroes get to actually be heroic, rather than soap opera characters.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Having stalled out on the latest season of Titans, I'm just hoping we get a show or two in which superheroes get to actually be heroic, rather than soap opera characters.

Lol, you cant have been reading many comics lately if you think supers and soap opera is mutually exclusive

But if you try to explain them to someone who hasn't been following them, they always come off as some sort of half-baked attempt of a very drunk person to explain the plot of a soap opera, except with less continuity and sense.

I remember watching a couple of episodes of Santa Barbara in the 1990s and they didnt have much continuity or sense either:)

MarkB

Legend
Lol, you cant have been reading many comics lately if you think supers and soap opera is mutually exclusive
Oh, I don't, though I've occasionally stalled out there too - there's a reason I stopped reading Spider-man comics in the 1990s (hint: it rhymes with "Bone Naga").

But still, in most issues you can expect a reasonable percentage of exciting, heroic action. That's really all I ask.

Remove ads