Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest. What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use...

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

Abstruse

Legend
What's the over/under on how many books come out for this before Marvel yanks the license out from under them? Recent history has shown that this will be likely.
On the one hand, this is being done in-house by Marvel so there's no license to yank. Marvel owns the Marvel properties.

On the other hand, this is the second tabletop RPG that Marvel has done in-house after the Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game, which they supported for a little over a year before letting it stagnate and selling a license to Margaret Weis Productions for Marvel Heroic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What's the over/under until Marvel stops publishing this when they see first hand how little money is in RPGs in comparison to everything else they slap Marvel on?

We'll see. I think Marvel Entertainment, under Disney, is apt to have rather more business sense than they used to. The flip side of the coin is that, for Disney, developing and publishing an RPG is a petty cash endeavor.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Fair point. I didn't catch that. Let me rephrase.

What's the over/under until Marvel stops publishing this when they see first hand how little money is in RPGs in comparison to everything else they slap Marvel on?
I think it will really depend on marketing and social media presence. This could piggy back off 5E popularity if it got its own critical role kinda thing going.

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
We'll see. I think Marvel Entertainment, under Disney, is apt to have rather more business sense than they used to. The flip side of the coin is that, for Disney, developing and publishing an RPG is a petty cash endeavor.
That's my thinking. I'm sure it will make money. But will it make enough money to justify their effort when they could make just as much licensing spiderman on a lunchbox, and far more easily?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That's my thinking. I'm sure it will make money. But will it make enough money to justify their effort when they could make just as much licensing spiderman on a lunchbox, and far more easily?

But they already have the lunchbox, and pretty much every other kind of merchandise you can name. I've got a Spider-Man spatula, for cripes' sake! Once you have saturate the market with lunch boxes, you start looking for new opportuinities, even if they are marginal.

Us old people may not be familiar with it, but Marvel has a New Media unit these days that has been working its way into the podcast space, including scripted dramas.

It is a hop, skip, and a jump from there to looking at Critical Role's popularity, and sensing something worth trying. But, you can't really try that unless you actually have an RPG upon which to center a podcast....

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Quote from the article: "Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!"

Sounds pretty D&Dish based on that; renamed 6 stats and "discover your true abilities" sure sounds like level progression.

Sunsword

Adventurer
The full press release can be viewed here but in Spring 2022 there will be Playtest of the Marvel 616 system designed by Matt Forbeck (Deadlands, Brave New World, Shotguns & Sorceries).

Remove ads

Remove ads