Marvel to Launch Official 'MARVEL MULTIVERSE' Tabletop Role-Playing Game in 2022

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest. What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use...

Matt Forbeck announced on Twitter that he’s working on a new in-house D616 Marvel RPG due for a 2022 release! It looks like there will be an open playtest.

20325EE8-0395-467B-8DF9-DE1D6E32469F.jpeg

What’s the D617 System? “… the all-new D616 System, an accessible and easy-to-learn system for newcomers to tabletop RPGs and a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market. Use Might, Agility, Resilience, Vigilance, Ego, and Logic to win the day, and discover your true abilities as you face impossible odds!”

We should remember Disney has got a lot of means to promote this title.

I stay with this phrase:

a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games on the market.

This sounds like the new system will be designed to be easy to be learn and understod for players used to d20 System. But, I doubt seriously it was a system with a leveling-up as D&D. Maybe, but I imagine one with two pillars, one of them linked with hit-points and bonus for attacks and checks, but "frozen" if we talk about characters too powerful, and the second pillar would be like unlocking tiers or a talent-tree. Then the PCs would learn a lot of new things, but not more powerful in the battlefield.

Or they could use a system like the one of Mutans and Masterminds. This publishe oficial sourcebooks about DC universe.

The risk of potential abuses by munchkins is very serious. The Game-Master could designs adventures of level "street vigilante" but the players want "crunch" designed for the level of "cosmic menace".

Do you think they will use 1d6 + 1d16 dice?

Can we bet about a game-live show in Disney+ as Critical Role?

My first PC will be the son of Bobby Drake and Kitty Prydde (In my game they are a straight couple, and reborn believers after survive a vampire attacks thanks holy water and blessed weapons).

punisherangeldisplay.jpg

(Yes, this was canon Punisher: Purgatory).

Oh, oh! If Disney can designed 616 system and this work, this means they can also publish later their own Star Wars RPG. They don't need WotC or other publisher any more.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Forbeck confirms you can make your own characters in the game, for those who were concerned.

My players and I are all big comic book fans, but I personally find most modern superhero games way too fiddly for my tastes. (I know lots of people love that level of detail and tactics, but not for me, not at this age.) I'd love it if this is a light and fun game that is neither as abstracted as PBtA nor as "here's the book to teach you how to make your characters using the other book" detailed as M&M or Champions.

Greg K

Legend
"a natural evolution for those familiar with the most popular tabletop role-playing games"

I am just hoping that the above quote does not meant that it is derived from 5e or have a D&D style class/level system.

Greg K

Legend
But will it be better than Mutants and Masterminds? Else, why?
or better than Icons, Icons: Assembled, or BASH: UE (all of which I prefer to M&M 3e (which is a good game, but got just a little "fiddlier" with power writeups than 2e and condensed skill a little more than I like))

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I've always been a huge fan of FASERIP, but its been a while since Marvel Heroic, so it will be interesting to see where the design leans. Marvel Heroic was a pretty narrative system and, while not tremendously difficult to learn, followed a nontraditional design not at all similar to 5e (and therefore, not designed for newcomers to RPGs. I'm excited to see what they come up with!

Von Ether

Legend
We should remember Disney has got a lot of means to promote this title.

I stay with this phrase:

This sounds like the new system will be designed to be easy to be learn and understod for players used to d20 System. But, I doubt seriously it was a system with a leveling-up as D&D. Maybe, but I imagine one with two pillars, one of them linked with hit-points and bonus for attacks and checks, but "frozen" if we talk about characters too powerful, and the second pillar would be like unlocking tiers or a talent-tree. Then the PCs would learn a lot of new things, but not more powerful in the battlefield.

Or they could use a system like the one of Mutans and Masterminds. This publishe oficial sourcebooks about DC universe.

The risk of potential abuses by munchkins is very serious. The Game-Master could designs adventures of level "street vigilante" but the players want "crunch" designed for the level of "cosmic menace".

Do you think they will use 1d6 + 1d16 dice?

Can we bet about a game-live show in Disney+ as Critical Role?

My first PC will be the son of Bobby Drake and Kitty Prydde (In my game they are a straight couple, and reborn believers after survive a vampire attacks thanks holy water and blessed weapons).

punisherangeldisplay.jpg

(Yes, this was canon Punisher: Purgatory).

Oh, oh! If Disney can designed 616 system and this work, this means they can also publish later their own Star Wars RPG. They don't need WotC or other publisher any more.
1d6 + 1d16 would be an average of 11?
Using the d6 as a bonus? It could work.

Greg K

Legend
Forbeck is a great choice for this. Brave New World was highly regarded in its time.

My biggest concern right now is whether they want to wed themselves to a Thor design that is not sticking around. (Yeesh, it's so bad.)
I disagree that Forbeck is a great choice based off of Brave New World. In my gaming circles, the Brave New World setting was liked. However, how powers were handled and spreading out powers over supplements were major turnoffs. The game languished on the shelf of my local gamestore (which was one of the major game stores in Los Angeles at the time and located just a few blocks from a California university).

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads