MCDM monster book “Flee Mortals!” KS is live!

Reynard

Legend
I enjoyed the playtest packets during development, but had to drop the KS due to a financial thing. I am in a better place now, but was wondering if folks could speak to how the final product turned out -- specifically in relation and comparing to LevelUp's monster menagerie. Do I need both, if I am using the monsters in an otherwise "vanilla" D&D game. My goal is to be able to use "standard" monsters but have them actually be interesting opponents (as opposed to utilizing weird stuff from things like Tome of Beasts).

Thanks.

Retreater

Legend
I enjoyed the playtest packets during development, but had to drop the KS due to a financial thing. I am in a better place now, but was wondering if folks could speak to how the final product turned out -- specifically in relation and comparing to LevelUp's monster menagerie. Do I need both, if I am using the monsters in an otherwise "vanilla" D&D game. My goal is to be able to use "standard" monsters but have them actually be interesting opponents (as opposed to utilizing weird stuff from things like Tome of Beasts).

Thanks.
I don't have the physical product for Flee Mortals yet, but the PDF is pretty nice.
Honestly, I don't see overlap between Flee Mortals and the Monstrous Menagerie. Flee Mortals has revamped power levels, interesting tactical options, war machines, etc. The "same old" monsters used in a new way.
Monstrous Menagerie is kind of a reprint of the Monster Manual, nothing really new added.
My suggestion is to get Flee Mortals and get your Level Up content on the free SRD page if you can. There's no more interesting things added to the monsters in Level Up beyond what 5e offers.

Reynard

Legend
Monstrous Menagerie is kind of a reprint of the Monster Manual, nothing really new added.
My suggestion is to get Flee Mortals and get your Level Up content on the free SRD page if you can. There's no more interesting things added to the monsters in Level Up beyond what 5e offers.
That is not my experience at all.

Zaukrie

New Publisher

Thanks.
It is very much like the playtest packets. Each monster has a real "thing" that is their one thing, which I love. I'd say it pushes the design better than either KP or LU......I'd never recommend game books if one has financial issues.....but this is a good monster book. I like LU, but I think this will get more use from me.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
My friend got his but I haven't even gotten a shipping notice. We wondered if it was because he is in L.A. and I am out east.

Remove ads