MCDM monster book “Flee Mortals!” KS is live!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's the wild blue yonder for me. I need to get some fresh experiences beyond 5e. I've seen nearly every class and ancestry combination. I've run nearly every published adventure. It's gotten so boring and repetitive to me. I can't even write original content because functional tools don't exist.
If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for something wildly different, both as a palate-cleanser and to see if maybe that's what I was looking for.

Retreater

Legend
I use all original content - what tools do you need? I don't really need any tools though.
1. Encounter building rules that work
2. Magic item economy
3. Options for robust tactical combat
4. Exciting and unique monsters
5. A challenge dial to make the game, well, challenging

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
2. Magic item economy
Some of that stuff is addressed by Forge of Foes, the new monster and encounter building book from Lazy DM/Sly Flourish. But if you're over 5E, I don't know that it's enough to keep you playing.

Retreater

Legend
How do you feel about PBTA? There's a lot of different themes that young people might dig. (Maybe not Monsterhearts.)
I've run Dungeon World and Monster of the Week. Honestly, I think I struggled with both. It's definitely a different way of GMing. Like "don't prep," you can only make challenges if the players roll badly. It's just very awkward to me, and every time I try to run it, people tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've run Dungeon World and Monster of the Week. Honestly, I think I struggled with both. It's definitely a different way of GMing. Like "don't prep," you can only make challenges if the players roll badly. It's just very awkward to me, and every time I try to run it, people tell me I'm doing it wrong.
I remember my brain falling out of my head reading Monster of the Week. I didn't really get it until I watched some online games.

dave2008

Legend
Yes, I already knew this, but we are very different DMs! Some of what you think 5e lacks I see as some of its best assets! Also, I only play in person and that makes a difference.
I love the fact that in 5e I don't have to work about encounter building rules at all. I design my adventures, campaigns, and worlds just like I did 30+ years ago in 1e/BECMI. Just do what makes sense for the world. And it works so much better with 5e than it did back then! This is one of things that is keeping my away from PF2e - I don't want tight encounter building rules!

From corresponding in another thread I have come to realize that we play 5e like an OSR game. I'm guessing that is not your jam and that is OK, but it works for us.
2. Magic item economy
I never play with magic items that can be readily bought and sold, so this not I need for me. I guess 5e lacks it, IDK. Magic items are always quest items of some sort in my games (but we play a low magic setting too).
We are generally more interested in strategic combat, but this his hard for me to judge. I would say 5e has enough tactical choices for us, but we hail from the 1e days when there were none and we have some house-rules that add some. That being said I think the RAW battlemaster has plenty of tactical options and the 2024 rouge is looking shocking tactical (and 2024 fighter adds quite a bit as well). We haven't decided if we will add the 2024 tactical updates yet though.
5e RAW has plenty of that IME (no to mention all the 3PP). However, my own designs are better than I have seen from any bestiary (in any system) and its one of my favorite things I do in my DM downtime. So, I'm all good here.
I know you struggle with this, but I don't have an issue here by RAW or with our house rules. I find it very simple to adjust a challenge in 5e.

Not trying to change your mind, I know your burnt out on 5e. Hope you find something that works for you better!

Remove ads