MCDM monster book “Flee Mortals!” KS is live!

This is a good example of how the prestige of a brand helps to sell more because the consumers trust the work by the company.

If Hasbro/WotC is going to publish their own books, with that equipment could talk with 3PPs to translate their titles. The Spanish-language publisher "Nosolorol" launched a crowfunding for a translated version of "Iron Kindoms" and they are working in the Spanish version of "Tome of Beasts" by Kobold Press.

I will probably back this as I love monster books; however, I am a bit put-off by the funding goal of $600,000. IMO, the funding goal should be the break even goal and I have a hard time believing they need $600K to break even.

I bet they set the goal that high to avoid having to deal with a ton of stretch goals. For big campaigns the goal is often kind of arbitrary, and strictly for marketing purposes: Funded in 16 minutes!

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
I'm going to wait until it hits retail. $70 bucks for the cheapest physical tier plus shipping is a no go for me. Plus, from the description it sounds like the book is not anywhere close to done.

darjr

I crit!
I'm going to wait until it hits retail. $70 bucks for the cheapest physical tier plus shipping is a no go for me. Plus, from the description it sounds like the book is not anywhere close to done.
I’m not pushing anyone.

but you’ll miss the update PDFs

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I have a hard time believing they need $600K to break even

I don't. Plus they need to do more than "break even," they need/want/should make sure those involved are paid well for their effort. Furthermore, KS and similar sites are for raising the money for fairly niche things by individuals and companies would not be able to make without the money upfront because they don't have the capital and infrastructure that a company like WotC has.

dave2008

Legend
I don't. Plus they need to do more than "break even," they need/want/should make sure those involved are paid well for their effort.
Paying people is breaking even. I never intended to suggest otherwise.
Furthermore, KS and similar sites are for raising the money for fairly niche things by individuals and companies would not be able to make without the money upfront because they don't have the capital and infrastructure that a company like WotC has.
It has been a while, but I ran a KickStarter several years ago and at the time they explicitly said the funding goal should be the bare minimum to get the project made. So that is where my stance originates.

I you make more than that, and clearly MCDM has, that is great. You can use the extra funds as you see fit.

It is really a silly point to get worked up about, it just rubbed me the wrong way - like Matt himself (at least the Matt in the video - I don't know him personally).

Remove ads