D&D 5E Mearls' "Firing" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
You can see how the sentence I originally quoted clearly looks to be an insult and disparaging comment leveled at basically everyone arguing on the same side, though, right? I mean, it looks and feels pretty clear to me. I'll accept it's possible I took it out of context, but I don't think that context was all that clear without a Ph.D in this thread. I'll be the first to admit that it struck a chord.

I can see that. It is very reasonable. Which is why I tried not reply with hostility.

I will admit my comment about how quickly you took offense was rooted in surprise, and that at the time I thought I had stepped into a minefield. I can see now, looking back, that it came across as hostile. Which is my fault.

I agree that multiple types of trolls exist, and that trolls can be misogynists (either in actual ideology or just pretending to be to rile people up, but that tends to be a distinction without a difference more often than not). However, I think you're severely underestimating the actual problem here. There are dark places of the internet, especially in places like Reddit or 4chan, where misogynists collaborate. Organize. These are not trolls, at least not in the sense that they're mostly stirring the pot for :):):):):) and giggles and will go away if nobody pays attention to them. They are a movement, and one that craves legitimacy and power. The way they gain that legitimacy is to act without consequences or challenge. That is why they threaten to (or actually) doxx or swat people who speak out against them. That is why they try to cower people into tolerance, if not outright acceptance, for their cause. That is why ignoring them only emboldens them, rather than making them go away like regular trolls. That is why it's important for people, especially the kinds of people who aren't their typical targets, to stand up to them, wherever they manifest, and force them back into whatever dark holes they crawled out of in the first place.

And I mean, this is to say nothing about any of the other impacts of what Mearls and others have done. Let's not dismiss the significance or importance of demonstrating solidarity, for instance.

I'm aware. I would reply more, but at the same time that would be continuing the thread argument. And, well, I think we're trying to end it ;)

Still, I would not keep an eye just on Mearls. Watch Hasbro and how it reacts to this.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This is what we call in the biz "false equivalence." Getting rid of a group of toxic people is not the same as getting rid of another group of people, like people who enjoy playing gnome paladins.

Chaotic Good Gnome Paladins! With rapiers! Riding Celestial doggos!

WHOLE PLATOONS OF THEM AND ALL OF THEM HAVE AT LEAST 12 NAMES!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Chaotic Good Gnome Paladins! With rapiers! Riding Celestial doggos!

WHOLE PLATOONS OF THEM AND ALL OF THEM HAVE AT LEAST 12 NAMES!

I’ll stick to my dual-repeating hand crossbow wielding Gnome Ranger, astride his Giant Space Hamster Mount, Mithril, thenkyewvermuch.

And yes, his bolts ARE silver tipped.

I'm Team Gnome Bard personally.

When my 3e gnome bard stepped up to play in Living Greyhawk, all my friends at the table cheered because I made them all soooo much more awesome.

doctorbadwolf

There is an understanding we have in film. "When you make a big suggestion to the director, they will usually reject it. Some time later, they will make the same suggestion to you, and pretend it was their idea all along."

That's how I feel about the goal of these conversations.

This is exactly it.

I’ve seen it play out over the course of weeks, monthe, years, and even decades.

It does not happen when there is no conversation.

Izumi

First Post
So... those who pretend to be elves pretend to be gatekeepers, and those who pretend to be gatekeepers pretend they can keep out women. Now, those who pretend to be gatekeepers of the pretend gatekeepers now pretend they can stop pretend gatekeepers from pretending they can keep out women. Hmm, on Japanese rpg character sheets it's become kata to ask your RL age, occupation, and the point at which you grow up and stop playing games. How long til the irony is complete? Remember, playing a childrens game is full of shame, and shame is like a festering wound that never heals. Imagine all the adult-like things you could be doing to better create your ideal culture instead of sitting, at a table, playing at the world of make-believe. So sad.

Deception is the foundation of strategy, and my suspicion is that this hire was done under a charade. It doesn't matter if I'm right or wrong though. What’s done is done. This woman WILL make some interesting stuff, and I'm super curious to see it. Also, women can do whatever they want. If they want to call out groups that try to ostracize them, they should do it. They certainly don't need ‘he-who-would-be-king’ to come in, and pretend he can make the bad men go away with witty words on the internet. Many will like it, however, and isn’t that what it’s really all about? Too many of my fellow nerds want to be liked by women. To them it’s the ultimate rpg.

doctorbadwolf

I’ll stick to my dual-repeating hand crossbow wielding Gnome Ranger, astride his Giant Space Hamster Mount, Mithril, thenkyewvermuch.

And yes, his bolts ARE silver tipped.

nice!

I do love my rapier and repeating hand crossbow wielding Swashbuckler/Bladesinger, Dresden Nuada Odhrain Creinne Diarmuid mac Manannan Woodsheart, but a dual-handxbow Ranger Gnome sounds legit.

I'm Team Gnome Bard personally.

When my 3e gnome bard stepped up to play in Living Greyhawk, all my friends at the table cheered because I made them all soooo much more awesome.

I loved the 3/.5 Bard. One of the only things I recall fondly from that edition.

Gnomes, of course, have always been excellent.

Sadras

Legend
Here's a question to hopefully begin the wrap up of this thread.... :)

Has anyone, who's followed along with the discussion, been moved to change their opinion on the matter (no matter how much, no matter which way)?

I've done a full 180 on this issue, yes it is true, I was a proud racist. Before this discussion I was against the hiring of elves, but you guys have won me over.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads