Mearls On D&D's Design Premises/Goals

First of all, thanks Morrus for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes. That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to...

First of all, thanks [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] for collecting this. I generally avoid Twitter because, frankly, it's full of a$$holes.

That aside: this is an interesting way of looking at it, and underscores the difference in design philosophies between the WotC team and the Paizo team. There is a lot of room for both philosophies of design, and I don't think there is any reason for fans of one to be hostile to fans of the other, but those differences do matter. There are ways in which I like the prescriptive elements of 3.x era games (I like set skill difficulty lists, for example) but I tend to run by the seat of my pants and the effects of my beer, so a fast and loose and forgiving version like 5E really enables me running a game the way I like to.

Satyrn

First Post
@Charlaquin you're essentially asking for an Advanced Player's Handbook where one could swap out racial traits, class and subclass features, and/or background features and characteristics and thereby have additional decision points during class creation/progression hopefully making each Champion mechanically different.
Do not want!

I really do think that's what Pathfinder 2 should have shot for, though.

Oofta

Legend
So when I say I don’t care how many options I can spend my character building resources on, I care how many character building resources I have to spend, you go find out how many options I can spend each of the character building resources on? There could be 5000 each of races, classes, subclassss, backgrounds, and Feats, that wouldn’t change the number of decision points in character building, it would only change the number of permutations possible with the same set of decision points. I don’t care how many permutations there are, I care how many decision points there are. Making decisions is the most important part of the game to me.

Really? You know that? Because I don’t give a hot turd about which options are optimal. Kindly do not assume my motivations.

I care about being able to make a champion fighter that plays mechanically differently than Tommy’s champion fighter. It’s fine if she’s worse, as long as she’s different. Character building for me is about self-expression, not power, and currently 5e does not give me the tools to express a character differently than other characters of the same class and subclass. At best, I’ll have slightly different modifiers to the same exact actions if I choose different Feats and ASIs, but those differences are minor and come several levels apart.

I thought the 5e philosophy was supposed to be about not designing around negative player behavior. Power gamers gonna powergame, just like bad DMs gonna DM badly. No sense hamstringing the game just to proved them less ammo.

Yes, and this is one of the many reasons I hate 3.X. Because despite drowning players in mechanical options, the over-specific prerequisites make it impossible to build a character as you go. If you want to play a particular prestige class, you have to plan all your skill ranks ahead of time so you can meet the prerequisites, which means that in effect, all of the decisions there are front loaded too. All it achieves is making character creation a painfully long and fiddly process. Conversely, 4e figures out how to give players choices to make at every level, and didnt punish players who made those decisions as they went. Sure, there were some optimized builds, but you weren’t made to feel useless for choosing the cool, interesting options as you went, rather than building the perfect optimized machine before play even starts.

Yeah, multiclassing is... an option, I guess. I’ve never really liked it. I want to make a rogue, who is a rogue, but plays a little differently than Shannon’s rogue, not a rogue who’s also a warlock and a sorcerer.

Dude you really need to take a chill pill. You can explain without getting insulting. I'm just acknowledging that not all combinations make sense.

There are multiple ways of building in different flavors of characters. With 5E they chose to go with sub-classes so if you're playing a rogue you have 7 sub-classes to choose from. An assassin is going play different from a swashbuckler is different from an arcane trickster. Throw in feats, ranged vs melee and so on and there are a lot of choices. Add multi-classing and there are even more.

As far as the champion fighter example, how many do you want? You can go sword-and-board, great weapon, archer. Strength based, dex based. Different backgrounds could give you a hint of rogue, feats and multi-classing can give you options. If that's not enough do a cavalier instead of a champion.

Are a lot of choices made by level 3? Yep. Could they have gone a different direction? Sure. I'm simply stating that they achieve the same broad goal using a different approach gives you significant variety.

I've played most editions of D&D and to me they're all fairly front-end loaded. My vision may have changed a bit, but from the moment I sat down with a blank character sheet I had the broad outlines figured out, I don't see 5E being that much different philosophically. Yes, 4E had different powers, but my experience wasn't really all that different. If I was a tank fighter, tempest/fighting cleric or a control wizard that choice was built in pretty early on. The powers that made sense were pretty obvious and made minimal thematic difference. Your experience may have been different of course and I've done my best to forget 4E.

If D&D's approach doesn't work for you maybe you should learn to accept it or move on to a different game. No game can cater to every preference. If I understand correctly, what you describe sounds more like GURPs than D&D.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
"Mechanical" distinctions aren't that meaningful to me in defiining a character: two PCs with identical combat mechanics but different Traits, Ideal and Bonds are going to be far more important in my experience: or different voices.
Good for you. I feel differently.

Mechanics, eh, Class/Subclass and Rave/Subrace provide plenty of that. I'd wager the WotC team has found pretty close to the ideal balance there. I'd like to see something like the PF2 Archetypes to replace Feats/ASIs, but that is not necessary.
See, I’d say the “balance” where the people who don’t care about a thing are the only ones satisfied is far from ideal. If mechanical distinction isn’t important to you, then why is it important to you that there not be ways for people who do like to distinguish their characters mechanically to do so?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Good for you. I feel differently.

See, I’d say the “balance” where the people who don’t care about a thing are the only ones satisfied is far from ideal. If mechanical distinction isn’t important to you, then why is it important to you that there not be ways for people who do like to distinguish their characters mechanically to do so?

Well, we know that WotC achieved a minimum of90% satisfaction for all of the options presented in the core rules during the playtest. So, if the "only ones" satisfied are the overwhelming majority of the audience... can't win them all.

What you want sounds like a huge turn off to me: there isn't really a way to provide what you want and what I want simultaneously. So, I'll just agree to disagree: but don't look for much change from Dungeons & Dragons in the future.

Satyrn

First Post
But they already have that in Pathfinder 1.
True.

But I also wanted PF2 to complexify 5e so that, even though I'd hate the character building stuff, I could drop in the adventure stuff with less effort than it currently takes to use Paizo material in my 5e game.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I care about being able to make a champion fighter that plays mechanically differently than Tommy’s champion fighter. It’s fine if she’s worse, as long as she’s different. Character building for me is about self-expression, not power, and currently 5e does not give me the tools to express a character differently than other characters of the same class and subclass. At best, I’ll have slightly different modifiers to the same exact actions if I choose different Feats and ASIs, but those differences are minor and come several levels apart.

I'm sorry, this really stood out to me because I can't make any sense of it. I've played 2 champion fighters. One was a halfling fighter with the criminal background. It was when I converted by 1e fighter/thief PC into 5e. Even at level 1, he played exactly like my old fighter thief, with a pretty strong emphasis on the sneaky part. As soon as I got access to feats, things like skulker and dungeon delver really fleshed out that concept. The other champion fighter I had was a human who had heavy armor mastery at 1st level, and I played him like defender knight.

If you think that feats and backgrounds are minor, then we are miles apart on what minor means. Those are actually critically impactful aspects that make the PCs feel very different from each other, even with the same class and subclass. And if you think the only difference between subclasses with different feats is slightly different modifiers, then I don't think you're using the same feats or backgrounds in the book at all, because they make a huge difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The more of Mearl's postings I read, the more I'm convinced that the success of 5E as a system is a happy accident rather than deliberate. Either that or it's really Jeremy Crawford who's sitting at the steering wheel.
Ridiculous. The design goals and concepts that Mearls is talking about are a big part of why 5e is successful.

@TwoSix, @Maxperson,
Two observations. First, I agree that not all build combinations would make sense. But just taking sub classes times races, we get 2,960 (assuming I counted right) alternatives. Even if 90% of those don't make sense for some reason, that leaves close to 300 options. Heck, make it 99% and throw in a smidgeon of feat/build/multi-class choices (i.e. champion fighter with dex vs strength, sword and board vs great weapon) and I think there are more builds than I could ever personally play.

Ultimately you're going to have a few builds that do approximately the same thing. Blaster caster, control, hit things with melee, or hit things with ranged (I may be missing an option or two and there are combos). That's just the nature of the genre and foundation of the game. Are different ways of achieving that goal really going to feel all that different?

Or ... what from a mechanical perspective what would you want to see? Not talking "I'd like to do a <insert class or prestige class I may or may not have heard of>", but mechanically. What gaps are missing? If you want to run a shaman for example, how does that differ from a druid (perhaps with multi-class) other than flavor that could be added with a background?
I know you weren't talking to me, here, but I had to respond anyway.

First, yes, they feel different. Fighters and Paladins are very different, and a Fighter/Cleric would also be very different from a Paladin. There are at least three ways to make some kind of assassin (not hit man. "Guy hired to kill people" isnt what assassin means, archetypally). You've got Shadow Monk, any Rogue (most are just better than assassin, TBH, but if you want to infiltrate socially Assassin rogue is good), Gloom Stalker Ranger, and you can build a Warlock or Bard pretty easily to be an assassin. Even if we break that down to "stealth focused, quick, agile, assassin, that is specialized in coming from nowhere to gank fools and then disappear", we've got rogue, shadow monk, and gloom stalker. The three play completely differently.

I still don't understand why "no one person could personally play all the options" is relevant. No one person is going to want to play all the options, even if there are only 100 combinations. (I mean, some people are into literally everything in dnd, but most aren't) I'm not going to play a pure wizard, I'll probably never even multiclass cleric, Fighter may as well just have 3 levels, because I'd only ever even consider fighter for a 1-4 level dip, and level 4 would just be to not lose out on a feat, I have maybe two concepts for a druid, maybe 3 for barbarians...my point is I'm just not going to play everything in the PHB, not because there are too many options, but because I'm not even vaguely interested in half of them. It has nothing to do with wanting to play a thousand combinations, never repeating a single option even if I play the same edition for 30 years. That just isn't even on the same map as why I want more options, rather than fewer.

DnD has been a detailed game since partway through 2e. 5e didn't change that. In a mechancially detailed game, I want to craft a character that is mechanically representative of the character concept. Others want mechanically distinct characters taht they can then build a concept out of. Others love the challenge of taking a build that is at cross purposes, like a Kobold Monk/Paladin, and making it stand usefully next to the "normal" builds at the table.
Others tend to have weird character concepts, and without a lot of options that are "smaller" than class and race, they can't play those concepts without having a significantly weak character, mechanically. (I know, some folks like playing weak characters. Others don't. Having options helps one group without hurting the other)

I do think that the last part is interesting, and there have been whole threads on it. Unfortunately, when folks list things they still want in the game, they are met with seemingly intentionally unhelpful (and often disrespectful) "advice" on using existing options to cobble together a Frankensteinian approximation. [sblock=For me], I still want a character that fills the niche of the Star Wars Noble, or as I've been calling it, the Captain. A broad set of characters that are united under the umbrella of being mostly non-magical, surviving on wits, charm, and knowledge. It would be a third "skill monkey" class, with a lot of it's combat determined by subclass, and would include ideas like the tactician, the vanguard, the scholar, and the partisan/idealist/inspiring passionate guy.
I'd also like a character that is based on at-will teleportation, and abilities that extrapolate out logically from being able to blink around constantly as their primary ability. The Shadow Monk is almost there, but level 6 is halfway through most character's careers, and I'd rather get it sooner, and not have the incredible distance and extra benefits tacked on. HOnestly, if I had a DM that was more open to homebrew, I'd just take a spell or two away at level 3, and give an at-will teleport speed (ie use your movement), with a speed boost in dim light or darkness, and keep the level 6 ability as an upgrade. Now, you can teleport with your speed, and use a bonus action to teleport 60 feet, and gain advantage on your next attack. [/sblock]

A lot of playtesting went into 5E that being said I do think maybe Jeremy Crawford does not get as much credit as he deserves. From Sage Advice and everything else I wonder he is more of the tactical mind behind 5E whereas Mike is the overall big picture guy/narrative guy...
That seems to be exactly what they've described as the way things are. Mike does concepts and basic mechanics, and Jeremy is the editor. The editor is always one of the most important jobs in any creative endeavor.

If I get the argument that you and @doctorbadwolf are running correct, it's that attack checks are the same as ability/skeill checks except that instead of generating consequences for the shared fiction they trigger further mechanical processes.
Well, not exactly. An attack is an action. Narratively, you affect the enemy in a negative manner using your weapons. Then there is a separate, secondary, mechanic, that helps determine how wore down they are. What exactly that looks like in fiction is up to the DM and player. Just like failing to disarm a trap can trigger a separate, secondary mechanic of you getting rekt by the trap.

I think a courtly intrigue game of D&D is almost certain to involve issues around Charm Person and Suggestion spells - particulary if it's a game using the AD&D versions which (by contemporary standards) are super-high powered. At mid-level there will be ESP and other divination-related issues too (which 2nd ed-era stuff solved (for some value of "solved") by giving all diplomats a Ring of Mind Shielding or similar).

(The above is not theorycraft. It's extrapolation from experience.)
Respectfully, so what? That's the world. Diplomacy in a world of high magic is different from diplomacy in a world without magic, or a world with only LOTR magic, and will be different with different systems of magic, as well.

And I do mean "respectfully" with absolute sincerity. I respect your opinion, I just don't think that what you're talking about is something that makes DnD bad at courtly intrigue. It's a game wherein that intrigue will be different from in a game that is made to simulate what we expect from Game of Thrones and the Tudors. If you want "realistic, medieval, very grounded, courtly intrigue"...well, it's not the courtly intrigue part that makes DnD the wrong game for it! :D

Now, unpopular opinion warning; I really don't care, even a tiny little bit, about how adnd did pretty much anything. Every edition of DND before 4e, I played because it was the only TTRPG that anyone I knew had any interest in playing, and because I liked the story concepts, not because I thought they were mechanically well made, at all. PF is the best edition of DnD before 4e, IMO, but even it has too much mechanically nonsensical elements whose only purpose is to keep nostalgia intact.

In 4e or 5e, courtly intrigue works quite well.

But there are also some things that I disagree with you on, in terms of those spells and magic items. Casting Charm Person isn't invisible. You can get caught. There is incredible risk involved in using magic to force your will on someone, and its pretty damn easy to imagine such magic being a hanging offense, especially when used on a member of court. It's hard to imagine not being immediately attacked by the king's guard if you were to try to Charm the king, and got caught by the court mage, or just a keen eyed noble or guard.

That dynamic adds to the intrigue, and creates tempting tools that are very high risk/high reward, even if for some reason, the king doesn't have a court wizard and nobles don't have magic items.

[sblock=aside]I know some folks think that in a world with Fireball, no one is going to blink at Dominate Mind, but that is completely insane, IMO. The real world has machine guns, but that doesn't stop people from being filled with anger and disgust at the thought of being brainwashed, much less mind controlled. [/sblock]

The difference between a paladin and a ranger could be the difference between gain advantage when your honour would help and gain advantage when your knowledge of the wilds would help, but it's not.
It is, though, it just isn't the whole difference, luckily. In 5e, you can gain advantage, or inspiration, whenever your various traits and flaws and such, whether from your background, class, race, backstory, or experiences during play, come strongly into play. It's left vague, because leaving it vague doesn't create a less balanced game, and because enough of the player base doesn't want rules for it that they had to use rules that can be ignored.

(Also, and despite the name, GURPS is not especiallly generic. I think it offers a pretty consistent and fairly tightly focused gaming experience, of slightly low-powered Hero.)
It's incredibly generic. The focus isn't tightly focused at all. You can play low, mid, or high powered characters/campaigns, in any setting or genre, even mixing power levels in a single campaign if you want. You can play with all the dials turned on, or play the light version with all non essentials turned off.

I did some quick counts over at DnDBeyond because I was curious. There are
37 races
12 classes
80 sub-classes
34 backgrounds
60 feats

So mathematically, there are thousands of options depending on how you calculate it. I know ... you'll tell me that 99.9% of those are not "valid" options because it wouldn't make sense to run a <insert race> <insert class> and that <insert feat, background, whatever> wouldn't make sense. It's not that there aren't more options than you could play, it seems that most options are eliminated out of the gate or that playing a combination that isn't "optimal" isn't valid.
that stuff is only a prominent thing on the internet, man.

The actual thing is what I talk about higher up in this post. There aren't 1000 options for any given player, because most players don't want to play half the classes, but do want to be able to represent their character concept with mechanical specifcity, showing rather than telling what they can do, what they're good at, how they were trained, etc.

Even if there were more options, a lot of people would still gravitate to a handful of optimal options. It would be the same complaint or the complaint would be that there are so many options that build X is broken. Personally I'd be happy running my dwarven rogue or gnome barbarian because I don't care all that much about eaking out numerical supremacy, it's just not that important.
It's not important for most people that want a wide selection of options, either. The existence of CharOp discussion on forums doesn't really mean anything at all for the actual game. Most CharOp posters don't play CharOp builds in games, but even if the they did, they're a minority of players who enjoy having a lot of options. Conflating the two is inaccurate to the point of being counter productive.

Well, then. I'm going to take a page out of WotC's book and declare that the bolded word is now Reporpoised.

Por.poise

noun
1. a small toothed whale with a low triangular dorsal fin and a blunt rounded snout.
2. the reason for which something is done or created or for which something exists. (adapted by Maxperson, because language is flexible) :n:

Ok, I lol'd.

But, just to make sure, you know that you've "missed" (intentionally, to make a joke?) the point, right? If you write an RPG and use the word that way in the book, yep, it's what that word means in that game.

Utterance, for example, and it's derivatives, are used to refer to any communication that isn't written. That's because our language only really satisfyingly covers spoken and written communication in anything resembling a concise manner. Even sign language, most people use words for spoken communication to refer to it. I have several friends who either are deaf, or have deaf famiy members, and "He/she/they said" is absolutely normal usage when referring to signing a statement. It's not the only usage, but it's perfectly normal, and only ever raises eyebrows where a pedant is in the room, and the pedant gets told to shut up, generally, because who likes a pedant?

This ties back to that post I didn't reply to (I really don't want to go back and find it to go into it in detail, sorry) about utterance and telepathy. Common usage is a term that exist in context. It doesn't matter that talking about telepathy isn't common, it matters what language is commonly used in those conversations that do happen.

Also, part of how language works, is that if the contextual meaning of a statement is clear, then the statement means that contextually clear thing, not whatever pedantic thing we can try to twist it into saying by picking apart the dictionary definition of every word.

I think this shows a fundamental lack of understanding of what motivates mechanical players. We're not looking for options to make good builds better, we're looking for options to make bad builds good, and thus increase the number of playable options.
That's one reason, yes. Like I said above, there's also representing a concept with mechanical specificity, and having a wide range of options within a "silo" of archetypal types of characters, ie "lots of kinds of rogue, or swashbuckler, or sneak, or acrobat, or brute, or knight", etc. It's really nice to have several ways to play a knight, and have them play differently mechanically.

Thanks!

I'm gradually working through the thread, 70-odd posts from the end with a good number of those replies to me. So if you've already posted more I'll get to it in due course.
no hurry! I honestly probably won't go back and find that post now, the thread is moving too fast and there is so much to touch on. I hope I haven't left anything important unaddressed. If I have, feel free to remind me and I'll reply to it.

If the lock has hit points (or something similar), so that each success has no particular narrative meaning, I agree. But I don't think that's a standard resolution method in 5e. (And it's not how 4e skill challenges work, either - it's clear in the 4e DMG and made clearer in the DMG2 that each check in the skill challenge produces a change in the fictional which affects the fictional positioning of subsequent checks - which in combat is like movement, and some condition imposition, but not like hp loss.)
The proposed lock (not sure if this is in the actual 5e rules, because we just run locks and traps in ways that make sense to us, for the most part) doesn't have hit points, but does have something very similar, and just like hitting in combat, does have narrative impact.

You succeed on a check, and you're one step closer to the lock being open. if you fail, you're one step closer to being unable to pick the lock without spending a good deal more time, and you risk trigger any relevant secondary mechanism, if the lock is trapped or has an alarm, etc. You also take an amount of time, determined contextually, and that amount of time is greater or lesser depending on how well you succeed or how badly you fail. There are win and fail conditions, and consequences for getting the lock open, failing to do so, and for taking too long or getting it done especially quickly.

Which is a lot like combat, it just has different secondary conditions and mechanics for resolving those secondary conditions. But the resolution of the actual action is the same.

As I alluded to, there are narrative consequences for hitting and missing in a fight. The most important is, ya know, the actual hit or miss. If that doesn't show up in the narrative, something is going wrong at the table, not with the rules.

Secondarily, the other person being more wore down, injured, bruised, discouraged, whatever, is a narrative element. It can then be used to try to gain Advantage on a call for surrender, for instance, or to convince an observer that you are very dangerous and not to be messed with, or simply to try and make someone afraid of you.

Where combat differs in DnD from exploration and interaction is not in the resolution mechanic (every single d20 check is the same mechanic, and I don't just mean that you're always rolling a d20), but in how hard-coded vs negotiated secondary conditions are.

I, for one, am glad of that, but right now I can't even remember why we're talking about this? Something to do with determining where DnD 5e sits in terms of how rules heavy it is?

Obviosly, 5e is rules heavy compared to most PBTA games, or a lot of other indie games, and I'd say it's just as obvious that it's much lighter than most editions of DND.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Dude you really need to take a chill pill. You can explain without getting insulting. I'm just acknowledging that not all combinations make sense.
I never attacked you. Unless you’re insulted by the word turd, I don’t see where my comment was insulting. If something I said was insulting though, I apologize. It’s getting pretty frustrating having my motivations repeatedly misidentified as power gaming. Don’t make assumptions about my play preferences and there won’t be a problem.

There are multiple ways of building in different flavors of characters. With 5E they chose to go with sub-classes so if you're playing a rogue you have 7 sub-classes to choose from. An assassin is going play different from a swashbuckler is different from an arcane trickster.
But each of those subclasses is expressed through only 4 features, that come several levels apart from each other, and are all locked in by the single choice of subclass. If our campaign goes to maybe 10th level, that’s only two features that distinguish an Assassin from a Swashbuckler, both of which are tied to the same decision point, and one of which takes over half the campaign to come online.

Throw in feats, ranged vs melee and so on and there are a lot of choices. Add multi-classing and there are even more.
Feats are a start, but they are few and far between. Ranged vs melee isn’t a character building choice, my swashbuckler and your assassin can both use a rapier or a bow at any time. Multiclassing doesn’t fix the problem of my rogue being the same as your rogue, it just lets me play a character who isn’t a rogue.

As far as the champion fighter example, how many do you want? You can go sword-and-board, great weapon, archer. Strength based, dex based. Different backgrounds could give you a hint of rogue, feats and multi-classing can give you options. If that's not enough do a cavalier instead of a champion.
Most of the options you list here aren’t real distinctions. +2 ro this skill instead of that one. +1 average damage with this weapon instead of that one. It doesn’t change the fundamental gameplay. We’re still both spending our turns doing fundamentally the same thing.

This is less of an issue with spellcasters because they actually get a choice every level or two of what mechanical options they want to add to their repertoire, in the form of learning spells.

Are a lot of choices made by level 3? Yep. Could they have gone a different direction? Sure.
And I would have preferred that they did so.

I'm simply stating that they achieve the same broad goal using a different approach gives you significant variety.
I disagree that the variety is significant.

I've played most editions of D&D and to me they're all fairly front-end loaded.
That doesn’t mean it couldn’t be done differently in the future.

If D&D's approach doesn't work for you maybe you should learn to accept it or move on to a different game. No game can cater to every preference. If I understand correctly, what you describe sounds more like GURPs than D&D.
As I’ve said repeatedly, I like 5e. I like it better overall than my next favorite edition, 4e, despite feeling that 4e handled many aspects better. That doesn’t mean I’m not going to point out places where I see room for improvement. This “If you don’t like everything about the game, get used to it or get out” attitude is absurd, and harmful to the growth of the game. One can, and should, both enjoy something and be critical if its flaws. 5e is a great game, that’s why I play it. But it is lacking in mechanical customizability, which is in my opinion one of its flaws.

Sadras

Legend
Despite the discussion/debate regarding differing mechanics, I feel many of us do not place enough importance on backgrounds and personality characteristics which loses a major roleplaying aspect of the game and leaves us all to easily concentrating on mechanics.

Perhaps we need to enforce that the only way to gain inspiration is to utilise your personality characteristics not through long rests or each gaming session.

Drawing on one's background during a roleplaying scene may also provide mechanical or narrative advantages.

The Wizard acolyte calls on his religious expertise, distracting the temple guard by drawing him into a fervorous prayer, long enough for the rest of the wizard's party to sneak into the temple unnoticed. No roll required.
Possible setback: The temple guard insists the wizard join the temple's choir during this week's holy mass.

The Champion entertainer offers up a soft spoken poem to the princess's handmaiden, gaining her admiration. Two hours later, the location of the hidden princess, was no longer a secret. No roll required.
Possible setback: A promise is made to visit the handmaiden the following night.

Remove ads

Remove ads