D&D General Mechanics you DO want to see return

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Morale and oozes/slimes make sense, and strongholds will probably reappear before 5E is done.

Everything else is gone for a reason and won't be back outside optional rules. Plus 5E does have racial penalties, they're just rarer. And the idea that a Halfling with 18 STR is dumb but 16 STR is fine is hilariously bananas.

That said, what I want most is almost as silly - 2E-style multiclassing.

It'd be a huge effort to get right, but 4E showed a way, and I think it could be done.

Also I think some of you guys really need to go play OSR games!
Mechanics that are gone but not forgotten. LOL!

I don't know about OSR games themselves, but simply returning to a 1E/2E games is possible. ;)

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
I've used 4e style skill challenges to good effect in my 5e games before. I think it would be a nice thing to add back into the DMG as long as they give it a better explanation for how to run them. I think the key to keep them exciting is to keep changing the situation. Add in factors that the PCs must react to in order to succeed. Otherwise after a few rolls the party just stands there going "uhhhhhhh can I roll Athletics again now?"

I'd also like to see bardic music brought back and give them some oomph. Make the bard the king of buffs and debuffs.

GreyLord

Legend
Mine are pretty simple.

1. I want a fighter who has a proficiency (proficiency bonus) in weapons increase FASTER and GREATER than any other class (you could toss in other martials with this such as the Barbarian, Ranger, and Paladin, but it is essential for the fighter) without having to toss a die (I mean, theoretically, the Battlemaster already does this with their precision attack, and the Samurai already kind of has this with their ability) or some other item. It's simply baked into the class itself, or at least an archtype.

Traditionally Fighters increased with their attacks with the ability in hitting and weapons faster than any other class without having to have wazoo ability scores in those attack modifiers., bring it back.

2. Saving throws that automatically make it easier to pass saving throws all around the board for all classes. As they go up levels, saving throws are a lot easier to make regardless of what type of save it is.

Wouldn't mind Gestalt type multiclassing, but it's also something I could live without and could see very easily breaking the 5e system if not done just right.

Fanaelialae

Legend
I'd love to see the concepts of monster design make a return from 4e. Minions, elites, solos, as well as things like soldiers and skirmishers. You can obviously achieve them using the rules as is, but guidelines would be nice for quick eyeballing.

@Sacrosanct FWIW, I love Neutralize Poison. It's one of my go-to spells when I play a druid. It's specialized, but powerful, and well worth preparing IMO.

Oofta

Legend
Overall I don't judge the game based on one specific rule or feature and care more about if the bits work together reasonably well.

Having said that one thing I would bring back is better options for fighting clerics from 4E. At low levels a fighting cleric can use healing word, but at higher levels I missed spells that let me attack and heal.

Of course that may just have been nostalgia for The Mighty Rev who used way too many D12s now and then.

Horwath

Legend
1. Abilities reworked that they increase modifiers 1on1 basis. ..., 8: -2, 9: -1, 10: +0, 11: +1, ...

2. Max abilities before magic/high level class bonuses(if any) is 14(+4)

3. No racial bonuses or penalties on abilities, but some starting scores would have racial minimum/maximum.
I.E. Elves; min dex 12(+2), max con 12(+2)

4. starting abilities in point buy would be from 9(-1) to 13(+3)

5. Return to the old style of 3 saves: Fort, Ref, Will

6. dual classing instead of multiclassing.
I.E. 20th level character would be 20th level single class or 13/13 dual class split.
You would get 2 class levels at levels 5,8,11,14,17,20. Average HPs gain on those levels between classes.

7. Flat resistances in many things instead of "half damage"

8. Exhaustion levels give -1 to attack/damage/save/check rolls per level and -5ft speed penalty per level(min speed 5ft). 6th exhaustion level means death.

9. Separate resource pool for combat feats/non-combat feats/racial feats/ASIs/extra skills. General feats would give option for all feat types to choose from.

10. Remove armor/weapon proficiencies. Add minimum and optimum strength for armor use and weapon styles and number of extra attacks to balance weapon users.
I.E. 20th level fighter could have 6 or 7 attacks while 20th level wizard would have 2 or 3.

oh,wait. this was for old returning mechanics? :p

Last edited:

vivsavage

Explorer
1) Creatures that can only be hit by magical weapons. The idea of my nonmagical sword being able to damage a ghost (albeit at half damage) doesn't work for me.

2) Categories for saving throws similar to AD&D. Not the same, mind you, but in that spirit. Saves based solely on ability scores lacks flavor.

RSIxidor

Adventurer
Multiclassing through feats as another option (don't get rid of level MCing, also fine with dual-classing or hybrid multiclassing being added as well, more options the better).
Visions of Avarice (a spell from 4e which I just love the flavor of, mechanics can change), I would further change the flavor a little so that whatever the illusion is for each enemy is whatever thing they desire most, rather than just a generic treasure hoard.
More granularity in skill progressions (but I don't think I want skill ranks the way they were, either, some new way, and not sure the PF2E way works for me either, I might never be happy, honestly).
Ways to use weapons in more interesting ways.
Companion characters as a baked-in feature of the game. The sidekicks in the Essentials Kit are decent start, and I understand that some don't want mass combats to be a regular thing. Some middle ground would be nice.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases