D&D General Mechanics you DO want to see return

Coroc

Hero
I'd love to see a Race-as-Class option for 5e. Like, let me play the dwarfiest dwarf. Extra stonecunning at higher levels (something like a passive perception), immunity to poison, and maybe even a return of the old dwarven bonuses to saves vs. magic.
You can do that, Take a dwarf fighter champion give him a d12 hit die instead of the +2 to strength or +1 to wis, give resistance to poison (they never had immunity), and eventually advantage vs. magic but if you do the latter then magic items have some chance not to work for him

An eldritch knight elf = Elf class
For the Halfling class Take a Halfling fighter and give him the criminal background

There, done with just some optimizing for your dwarf.

I miss the martial adepts and the martial maneuvers from "Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords", and the Vestiges with the pact magic.

I loved the concept of template/monster/racial/parangon class.

I liked some ideas from "Magic of Incarnum" but it would need a lot of work for the remake.

The single-use magic item as runes, tattoos or talismans should come back.

4e style encounter and monster building.

All your suggestions are good but I'd kill for this. 5E is weak on monster-building and encounter design. A cynical part of my mind thinks this is to try to "encourage" us to buy official adventures, which are full of this stuff (as Beyond shoves in your face constantly and obnoxiously), but I the rational part says its actually just casualty of early 5Es approach to monster design, and lack of interest in strong encounter grading.

I will say this - 5E does better than 3E. If you use the easy through deadly stuff in 5E,it won't help much but it won't actively mislead. Whereas 3.XEs system was so profoundly borked that it actively lied to you.

But 4E worked so well here. It was so easy with the DDI to take a monster, re-brand it, literally take abilities from other monsters, and so on. And then the encounter calc was generally very very close in terms of how an combat would likely play out.

I'd also like to see Skill Challenges come back, in a much revised and expanded form.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
All your suggestions are good but I'd kill for this. 5E is weak on monster-building and encounter design. A cynical part of my mind thinks this is to try to "encourage" us to buy official adventures, which are full of this stuff (as Beyond shoves in your face constantly and obnoxiously), but I the rational part says its actually just casualty of early 5Es approach to monster design, and lack of interest in strong encounter grading.

I will say this - 5E does better than 3E. If you use the easy through deadly stuff in 5E,it won't help much but it won't actively mislead. Whereas 3.XEs system was so profoundly borked that it actively lied to you.

But 4E worked so well here. It was so easy with the DDI to take a monster, re-brand it, literally take abilities from other monsters, and so on. And then the encounter calc was generally very very close in terms of how an combat would likely play out.

I'd also like to see Skill Challenges come back, in a much revised and expanded form.
Agreed. 100%. I should have also listed skill challenges, as well.

reelo

Hero
Has this been mentioned yet?
Fireball blowback and destroying treasure.

Back in AD&D a fireball filled 33000 cubic feet, no matter what. Cast it in a long corridor and it might kill the party. Also, it destroyed all treasure. These two drawbacks are the reason why such a powerful spell was "only" level 3.
Once those two things were dropped, fireball was way overpowered and lost all tactics.

Oofta

Legend
Has this been mentioned yet?
Fireball blowback and destroying treasure.

Back in AD&D a fireball filled 33000 cubic feet, no matter what. Cast it in a long corridor and it might kill the party. Also, it destroyed all treasure. These two drawbacks are the reason why such a powerful spell was "only" level 3.
Once those two things were dropped, fireball was way overpowered and lost all tactics.
Not to mention bouncing lightning bolts. :)

The only problem was calculating volume, but it did put it more in the realm of battlefield spell.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I want shields as a weapon that was tooled around with in the playtest.

Why for so long, has there been this reluctance to let a sword and board bash with the heavy wooden or metal object in his/her offhand?

They came so close in 5e from fulfilling something I have wanted for what seems like forever.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases