• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mechwarrior: "Days of the Jackal"

S

shurai

Jake realizes there were drinks just in time to come to the further realization that he won't have time to get one before the meeting gets started. "Well, crap," he says, wandering into the meeting room.

Douane

First Post
While almost everyone moves to the conference room, two of the mechwarriors present make their way towards the door back to the hall. One of them, a short man of obvious asian descent, mumbles something about "deceit and deception everywhere" while a taller brunette, whose favorite pastime seems to be weightlifting or something like that and who wears the patches of at least a dozen different units, strides determinedly towards the exit without a single look back.

During the move the "accountant" walks up to one of the mechwarriors near you and pats him on the shoulder.

"Good to see that you made it, Kevin. I think this one might be more up your alley. By the way, sorry to hear about your bout last week. But believe me, no one ever just stepped into the arena and started winning right away.

Well, at least no one not named Xiang-Allard."

With another pat he moves to take his place behind a little podium at the end of the room.

The other man, his presence and identity still a big question-mark for you, stands casually a few steps behind him next to the rear wall. (Though his "casual stance" seems more like a forced "at ease".)

The dark-skinned guy from the hall leans against one of the tables and seems to take in the whole scene with a certain degree of amusement.

Douane

First Post
"Everyone comfortable, drinks and snacks in reach?

Good!"

"Like I said before, you are on the Gameworld for mercenary work and that is exactly what we have to offer.

My old friend here," he indicates the man behind him with a swift movement of his head, "Konrad Bergmann by his name, needs some mercenaries and he needs them now.

This is actually to your advantage, as we won't have enough time to run as thorough background checks on you as we would like to. But I trust that no one of you has any skeletons in his closet; that is, beyond the usual standard, of course.

Let's cut to the chase:

Due to the unfortunate Kentares 'incident' you already had health checks, otherwise you wouldn't even be on-planet.

Judging from the cargo manifests, your mechs also check out, though our own experts will need to verify that.

Other than that we still have a few tests of our own. Hopefully you didn't think that little bit of playing outside was a test. Trust me, not even the low-down cooperatives have such lousy standards. By estimation of our taskmaster [another nod to the dark-skinned man] these will take roundabout one day, so I'd really appreciate if you could spare the time.

I'll also have an old friend on call for everyone who wants a lesson in humility and some help in getting rid of his or her bias against the "paper tigers" fighting in the arenas of the Gameworld.

Since we want so many things from you, my guess would be that you have some questions of your own. Fire away with them once I'm finished.

But first a little bit of further information on what we have in mind, as you won't get any more regarding this before you are accepted.

We are looking at a contract length of 6 months to 2 years, the final amount of time depending on some external factors we have no influence on.

The contract will specify 'retainer service' with a default of garrison duty.

Oh, and perhaps the most important to you: We need a unit of about company strength."

Suddenly the friendly and comradely atmosphere is gone and the temperature of the room seems to have dropped a few degrees.

Last edited:

Drakknyte32

First Post
Ryan listens attentively as the man speaks. It doesn't seem very odd to him that he got a job offer only a couple of hours after arriving on the planet, despite his complete lack of experience. Stuff like this seemed to happen to him all the time.

Unfortunately no amount of listening attentively or getting lucky would help Ryan out here. He was totally confused by the mans speech. What was this about paper tigers and retainer service? And why did he think everyone had skeletons in the closet?

And why did the hair on the back of his neck rise after he said company strength?

Ryan decides to keep quiet and listen to what everyone else says. Maybe he can ask the others that he had been talking to what the speech meant. He obviously needed to learn this kind of stuff if he was going to become a rich and famous MechWarrior.

Festy_Dog

First Post
Douane said:
"Good to see that you made it, Kevin. I think this one might be more up your alley. By the way, sorry to hear about your bout last week. But believe me, no one ever just stepped into the arena and started winning right away.

Well, at least no one not named Xiang-Allard."

"Hehe, thanks," Kevin replied with a lop-sided smile.

He listened intently to the accountant's speech, trying to pick up on any clues he may inadvertantly divulge. Aside from trying to remember anything he may have known about Konrad, there didn't seem much to go on. The Steiner woman was right though, this was a Steiner operation. Never got her name though... didn't matter, he could get to know her if she got through.

An additional day of testing and a target of getting a company of the most suitable mercs. Malcolm's guess was pretty good. Kevin wasn't worried though, his credential's were impeccable in his own opinion: Extensive medical training and experience with the 21st Centauri made him a shoe-in. Ryan's look of confusion suggested to Kevin that he should explain things to the young pilot.

"Ryan, here's the situation in a nutshell. We're competing for limited spots, and the job'll be risky, therefore we'll get good pay. It'll take a full day of testing to see who'll get in, but seeing as we have nothing much else to do we'll easily have the time to do it. You clearly have the potential to get in, so don't get worried about it," he explains, "Anything unclear?"

Last edited:

Urbanmech

Explorer
Alex raises his hand after the man is finished talking, "I don't suppose you can tell us where we will be stationed? Also will salvage rights be included in our pay? Finally what equipment will be provided for the upkeep of our mechs? I'd like to know I will be able to fix my mech should anyone attack us during our 'garrison duty'."

Drakknyte32

First Post
Ryan gives Kevin a smile of thanks for the explanation.

"Sounds simple enough I guess. I should be able to follow along well enough with any luck."

Festy_Dog

First Post
"Good good. I take it this is your first job as a merc? Tell you what, you're being thrown in the deep end with a job like this. I'll try to look out for you though. Just ask whenever you need help with something or something ain't clear," Kevin said with a reassuring smile.

Ryan would make a brilliant pilot, given a chance, and a job like this would be a perfect opportunity to shine.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads