Spelljammer Meet The Giff--Spelljammer's Space Pirate Hippos!

The Giff, a race of "gunslinging hippo-like pirates" will be appearing in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, and D&D Beyond has a sneak preview of them.

giff-line-up.jpg

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Eberron "canonically" (as much as Eberron has a "canon", which is to say "how Keith Baker runs it) doesn't have guns and that's the setting Artificers are from and "wandslingers" are specifically a character archetype in that setting.

Not that I'm opposed to guns in D&D or even Artificers using guns (even though the flavor for Artificers has always been magical and not science-based) but I'm not convinced it needs to be a specific thing.

Weiley31

Legend
Eh, I have PLENTY of gun options for my 5E games thanks to Iron Kingdom: Requiem and Matt Mercer's Gunslinger fighter subclass. And with Tome of Heroes now out, my spacefaring British Hippos can also have Dwarven Arquebus as well.

Eberron "canonically" (as much as Eberron has a "canon", which is to say "how Keith Baker runs it) doesn't have guns and that's the setting Artificers are from and "wandslingers" are specifically a character archetype in that setting.
on the one hand...yeah, i guess. on the other hand, i'd argue that artificers at this point have grown beyond just eberron (which wizards seems to agree with given that artificers get firearms proficiency as a class feature), so that's not a super convincing argument for me.
Not that I'm opposed to guns in D&D or even Artificers using guns (even though the flavor for Artificers has always been magical and not science-based) but I'm not convinced it needs to be a specific thing.
it doesn't really need to be, no. i was just expressing my desire for a gun subclass in a manner which i hoped would get some laughs

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I'd make a non-magical gunslinger a Fighter or maybe even a Rogue. A "gunmage" type character though makes total sense as an artifcer.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Artificers would ideally have a subclass inspired by every magic item type, the current missing types are Rings, Weapons, and Scrolls. They did try to take a stab at a Scroll inspired artificer with the Archivist, but that didn't pan out.

Anyway, Giff with extra damage on any weapon they wielded was all I really wanted: Compatible with the guns from lore, but also vague enough that someone could make game where they are just hippo people from a local river. Firearms Mastery is more than I expected to be honest.

Keith does float the idea of a Dhakaani goblin clan that works with firearms: Dragonmarks: Firearms in Eberron

Weiley31

Legend
Firearms Mastery is more than I expected to be honest.
Ya that was a lot crazier than I thought they were gonna get in regard to a racial trait involving Firearms. Now I'm wondering if this whole "Astral Spark" thing they have actually increases the amount of damage they can do with it. Or if it's just represented by Firearm Mastery to begin with.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases