• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Melee: No way out?

James McMurray

First Post
Hey, wow. I just noticed the screen name. What's up Pete? Still running rockin' PBeMs? (I've used the pack of ghost wolves with two different groups and it was a hit both times, and just the other day I was thinking about little ol' John Sparrowsong's "back off" speech :) ).

Boarstorm

First Post
Storminator said:
Unless that OA is going to freeze you in place...

I'm sure that this has been asked to death, but what the heck.

Fighter's Combat Superiority. "An enemy struck by your opportunity attacks stops moving, if a move provoked the attack."

Does a shift count as a move in this instance? I know combat challenge lets the fighter smack things that shift away (so long as they're marked), but does it actually prevent the shift from happening as well?

Nebulous

Legend
Boarstorm said:

Fighter's Combat Superiority. "An enemy struck by your opportunity attacks stops moving, if a move provoked the attack."

Does a shift count as a move in this instance? I know combat challenge lets the fighter smack things that shift away (so long as they're marked), but does it actually prevent the shift from happening as well?

I'd like to know this too.

Deadstop

Explorer
Boarstorm said:

No. The power that lets you hit a shifting enemy involves an immediate interrupt, not an opportunity attack.

Someone who tries to move and gets smacked with your OA can't keep moving (if he's your marked target), but someone who shifts away and takes the Combat Challenge attack is not so affected.

Deadstop

James McMurray

First Post
Boarstorm said:

Shifts don't usually provoke Opportunity Attacks, but if it came up I'd say it did. It wouldn't stop them from continuing to move now that your 1 OA per turn is used up.

Cadfan

First Post
A lot of the classes that want to get out of melee also have special powers to help them do it.

The rogue's Deft Strike is essentially a melee escape option- you shift one square, then you use Deft Strike to move two more squares and attack the target you really want to be fighting.

The ranger's Nimble Shot exists to help you step back one square, shoot an arrow, then move action away.

The wizard has Close Blasts, one of which is an at will that pushes his enemies away, freeing him to use a move action to flee.

The warlock has a variety of options, such as attacks which make the opponent blind with reference to you for one round (so he won't follow you after your one square shift), teleports, and some Close powers.

Obryn

Hero
Heck, remember that - should you ever need to do so - you can double-shift.

If you're a Kobold, you can triple-shift.

-O

Storminator

First Post
James McMurray said:
Hey, wow. I just noticed the screen name. What's up Pete? Still running rockin' PBeMs? (I've used the pack of ghost wolves with two different groups and it was a hit both times, and just the other day I was thinking about little ol' John Sparrowsong's "back off" speech :) ).

Hey man! Still running it, tho it's still slow. I just mashed the two different games together. When the current scene finishes up I'm going to post it a story hour... no background, no context, just boom!

That game started before 3e came out, and here it is 4e... we outlived an edition!

PS

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Boarstorm said:

The fighter's mark from Combat Challenge gives an interrupt attack, but it's *not* an OA, so Combat Superiority doesn't apply.

However, if you want to take OAs when the enemy shifts & therefore apply Combat Superiority, there are a couple ways to do it. For example, multiclass into cleric and take the Warpriest paragon path. Warpriest's Challenge gives a full OA on a marked enemy if it shifts.

Here's a build: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=4269960

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads