Mercedes Lackey Ejected From Nebula Conference For Using Racial Slur

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Whenever I hear about these kinds of issues I have to remind myself that I very often don't have the full context. From the information currently available to me, I believe it would have been entirely appropriate for Nebula organizers have a chat with Lackey about her choice of words and to ask for an apology. But removing Lackey from the venue altogether was an overraction entirely disproportionate to her actions. However, maybe there is a context I'm missing. Lackey may have a history with the Nubula that I am entirely unaware of. But from an outsider's perspective, the Nebula Conference isn't looking so good to me. But sometimes mistakes are made.
I was just thinking having an impromptu panel about offensive terminology and moderation policy might be a good way to go. Though, as an organization Nebula doesn't owe anybody that. Just thought it would be a good way to say that they are addressing it in a public way that could establish precedent and be a learning experience.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
This isn't about who finds it offensive or who doesn't, its about how an organization chooses to uphold their moderation policies.

So, at the moment, you are taking advantage of services and community provided by an organization with moderation polices, so take a thought to what you say in terms of what the analogous action here would be.

What happened at the Nebulas seems to me, as a person charged with supporting and enforcing such policies, to have been ham-handed and extreme*. There are times for decisive and direct action, and there are times for dialogue. This, to me, should have been the latter, rather than the former.

And yes, context does matter. Who said it, on what occasion, and who had a problem with it are all relevant to determining right action in dealing with the situation.

*Have I, on occasion, made bad calls that were ham-handed or extreme? Sure. Nobody is perfect.

Last edited:

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I was just thinking having an impromptu panel about offensive terminology and moderation policy might be a good way to go. Though, as an organization Nebula doesn't owe anybody that. Just thought it would be a good way to say that they are addressing it in a public way that could establish precedent and be a learning experience.

Unless there is something I'm missing, the learning experience I would take away from this is, "Don't attend events hosted by the SFWA. Because they might use you to "establish precedent and be a learning experience."

Not high on my list of priorities. I prefer organizations that, you know, try to do the right thing by all people.

As I wrote, absent some other information ... this was handled completely inappropriately. If the other commented is correct, and she is neurodivergent (and diagnosed with dyslexia and/or verbally dyspraxic) then it's beyond inappropriate.

Context matters.

ETA- I reserve the right to change my opinion completely if the context changes. But again ... this isn't a great look for the SFWA right now.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Unless there is something I'm missing, the learning experience I would take away from this is, "Don't attend events hosted by the SFWA. Because they might use you to "establish precedent and be a learning experience."

Not high on my list of priorities. I prefer organizations that, you know, try to do the right thing by all people.

As I wrote, absent some other information ... this was handled completely inappropriately. If the other commented is correct, and she is neurodivergent (and diagnosed with dyslexia and/or verbally dyspraxia) then it's beyond inappropriate.

Context matters.

ETA- I reserve the right to change my opinion completely if the context changes. But again ... this isn't a great look for the SFWA right now.
Would it be appropriate for a neuro-divergent person to use the N word? Also, dyspraxia does not affect your intelligence and word choice. I find it far more likely in the moment she used the word for lack of a better term. I dont believe she intended any offense, I honestly believe that. Though, I dont accept these excuses for it being ok either.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
When I was in London UK just a couple of years ago, that word was everywhere. Supermarkets aisles, in the names of chinese restaurants, everywhere. Once you noticed it it was hard to unnotice it. That news hasn't spread beyod the borders of the US yet!
Most Americans probably don't even know what the word means, so it's fairly mild here. Nobody even uses it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Same here, and I've never on any occasion witnessed the use of the word to describe a person in a contemporary setting. I've only heard it used in a historical context.
My 95 year old grandfather used it in 2009 when he celebrated Obama's inauguration. He felt like he was living in a bright, optimistic science fiction future. I haven't heard anyone use it since, other than namechecking venerable institutions.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
When two very similar words (in this case, two different constructions of the same word) have the same denotation but near-opposite connotations, it's inevitable that one will sometimes be used when the other is intended, because of the way human brains process and produce language. This phenomenon has nothing whatsoever to do with racist ideologies, unless you subscribe to debunked pop-Freudian notions of slips of the tongue as revealing deep-seated prejudices in a "return of the repressed."

To elaborate: when "... of color" (e.g., "writer of color") is considered by many to be perhaps the most sensitive term available—because most people would just say "Black writer" instead, and the primary reason to choose "... of color" is usually to emphasize solidarity/intersectionality with other nonwhite identities—and yet a very closely related term* is considered offensive, then sometimes, some people will end up saying the latter when they consciously want to say the former, simply because the terms are so similar and both have the same denotation, and the brain is a weird place when it comes to talking. This is a bit less common when the terms occupy displaced syntactical positions (in this case, after the noun vs. before it), but it does still happen that way.

This is doubly true for people with dyslexia, who are very often prone to slips of the tongue even when the denotations are different (classic example: "Dinosaurs went distinct millions of years ago"). My point is that for verbal dyspraxics, whether they technically qualify as neurodivergent, no amount of education and no degree of good intentions is going to save them from verbal slip-ups.

Mercedes Lackey is on record as being diagnosed with dyslexia. She is also verbally dyspraxic; watch any YouTube interview with her and this is immediately obvious if you know what to look for. The stumbles are very brief, and usually she immediately corrects herself, and she is brilliant and articulate so that's the general impression one comes away with. But it's there throughout her speech patterns. I just clicked on a random interview and she stumbles over her words seven times in the first three minutes, including (speaking of her birds) "They're extremely intelligence."

*I was about to hit "post" when I looked at the prior discussion regarding repeating the term in this thread. I have removed it for the same reasons articulated by MGibster above. If the term did not already appear several times earlier in this thread, I would consider it morally mandatory to include the term itself, so as to make plain exactly what Lackey said.
Oh, jeez, that puts things in an important context.

G

Guest 7034872

If no one ever allows anyone any moral slack, how are we to learn? I mean, don't we have to allow for the fact that at least some insensitive or even really deeply offensive comments can be genuinely inadvertent?

It seems to me the conference organizers were a lot more interested in covering their own butts than they were in doing the right thing. And there's a lot of that these days.

MGibster

Legend
Would it be appropriate for a neuro-divergent person to use the N word? Also, dyspraxia does not affect your intelligence and word choice. I find it far more likely in the moment she used the word for lack of a better term. I dont believe she intended any offense, I honestly believe that. Though, I dont accept these excuses for it being ok either.
Let's stick to what happened rather than the hypotethical. The N word has never been a polite word, and was always used to dehumanize those of African descent. Colored, on the other hand, was not generally thought of as dehumanizing or offensive within living memory of many Americans. i.e. It doesn't have the same history as that other word. A lot of us aren't arguing that Lackey's choice of word was okay or appropriate, it's just that the Nebula's reaction to it was, as Ubram put it, "ham fisted" and in my opinion overly severe.

Yeah. When the punishment is overly severe, it tends to erode people's respect for them (them being the rules). I wonder if anyone in the future will think, "Yeah, I was offended by this statement, but after what happened to Lackey, I don't want to say anything."

Last edited:

Remove ads