• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mercenary Adventures of the B-Team (closed group)

larryfinnjr

First Post
Surge's demeanor picks up quickly as he smiles

Mal! It looks like you've made some new friends!

as I shuffle over to the group and lower my voice

So? Kvetch first?
GM: that's KVATCH (and your partner is CHES) :)

as Surge let's loose with a crossbow bolt
OOC:
Move:to E6
Standard:Magic Weapon
Hit 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage, and each ally adjacent to you gains a +1 power bonus to attack rolls and a power bonus to damage rolls equal to 4
Minor:Restive Formula infusion on Mal
The target gains a +1 power bonus to AC until the end of the encounter. The target can end the bonus as a free action to gain temporary hit points equal to its healing surge value + 4.
Free:

Thump-clump go the Tinman's legs as he sends a bolt between his friends at the giant orc. It lands squarely in the orc's massive chest, the majority of it lost amid the myraid layers of armor, drawing blood nevertheless.

The rest of the party feels empowered, more lethal as they gain the benefits of Surgeon's attack.

Up next: Ches (already posted)

whardell

Explorer
Surge's demeanor picks up quickly as he smiles

Mal! It looks like you've made some new friends!

each ally adjacent to you gains a +1 power bonus to attack rolls and a power bonus to damage rolls equal to 4

Minor:Restive Formula infusion on Mal

The target gains a +1 power bonus to AC until the end of the encounter. The target can end the bonus as a free action to gain temporary hit points equal to its healing surge value + 4.
Free:[/ooc]

Ah Surgeon, they taught you to be mighty scary in toaster school, and oh so effective at making me even more awesome.

Im posting a my turn now because, lets be honest, Im not particularly good at posting when people are waiting for me to.

I should be able to charge Kvatch, assuming I hit Ill pop power strike, and then followup with an offhand attack

With Surgeon's +1 and my charge bonus included:

If the First attack hits, target is prone, and the second attack procs. If the first attack doesn't hit, target not prone, and second attack does not proc. If the first hit doen't kill Kvatch, and the second hits, I will also proc surprising attack (dazed until the end of my next turn) if the second attack doesn't hit, surprise strike is not used.

Nobody touches my [very long sounding elven word that variously translates as shoeshine boy, slave, or golden aardvark] and lives to disrespect me.

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
Ches attempts to ignore the arrow in her shoulder, checking briefly to make sure Mr. Mittens is unharmed. Calling on her infernal heritage she channels fire into the soul of the bowman, and winks at Smash as she steps forward and raises her left hand.

OOC: Reaction to being hit: Infernal Wrath on Bledso.
Move: F4
Standard: Burning Hands from G0 to K4. Includes Bledso, Hewy, Dewy, Kvatch and Gronk. Miss half damage.
AP: Scorching Burst on my best friend Bledso.

Ches lets forth a gout of fire, washing a wide swath of land in the warm glow of clean burning petrol. With a final flourish she sends another bolt of flame at the source of her anger.

After loosing the arrow toward Ches, Bledso is suddenly overcome by a burning sensation. It starts in his pants and quickly spreads throughout his waist, his chest, his neck. And then flames escape via his mouth and nose. His eyes blinded by fear and pain, he looks toward Ches, seeing her wink, apparently at him, and right then and there, he is sure that women, ALL women, must die.

And in that moment of thought, he once again is engulfed in flames as Ches moves forward and flames burst from her fingertips. Huey and Dewie are completely consumed, while both Kvatch and Bledso endure the heat wave. Ches' last effort to take down the archer unfortunately falls short of the mark.

New Map

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #2 - Kvatch

Initiative
Archer (Bledso)
Surge
Ches
Blades (Huey, Dewey, and Louie)
Mal
Kvatch
Falk

PCs
Mal -- AC 18 / Fort 12 / Ref 16 / Will 11 -- 1 AP, 8/8 surges, 25/25 hp
-- +1 AC (Restive Formula), +1 hit, +4 dmg
Surge -- AC 16 / Fort 15 / Ref 14 / Will 13 -- 1 AP, 10/10 surges, 30/30 hp
-- +1 hit, +4 dmg
Ches -- AC 14 / Fort 12 / Ref 14 / Will 13 -- 0 AP, 8/8 surges, 15/25 hp
-- +1 hit, +4 dmg
Falk -- AC 20 / Fort 16 / Ref 13 / Will 10 -- 1 AP, 13/13 surges, 33/33 hp
-- +2 hit, +4 dmg

Enemies
Bledso -18 dmg taken, Fear in the ranks, dmg bonus (Kvatch)
Huey - DEAD
Dewey - DEAD
Louie - Fear in the ranks, dmg bonus (Kvatch)
Kvatch - 10 dmg taken

Pre-Round 1 - Kvatch triggered action: Fear in the Ranks, dmg bonus to allies in burst 3

Round 1

Bledso - longbow vs. Ches, hit, 10 dmg

Surge - Magic Weapon, hit, 8 dmg vs. Kvatch, allies +1 hit, +4 dmg until end of next turn, Restive formula on Mal

Ches - Burning Hands - Huey and Dewey killed, 10 dmg Bledso and Kvatch, AP miss vs. Bledso

Louie -

Mal -

Kvatch -

Falk -

Round 2

[/sblock]

Up next: Louie

larryfinnjr

First Post
Louie...

...watches in fear and awe at the swath of firey destruction. Looking back over his shoulder at Kvatch, he's met with anger-most-foul. "KILL MAaaALLllL!" Kvatch screams at the orc, who throws himself at the drow, hand axe at the fore. It finds purchase at Mal's hip, cutting deep, deeper than seems possible for such a creature, bloodying the would-be mercenary.

[sblock=dmg] Since I know the question will be out there... minion with fixed dmg, fixed amt is increased on charge, and increased further from Kvatch's Fear in the Ranks. Usually I won't do this, but if there's ever a question as to WTF?, please ask in sblock so the story can continue unhindered. [/sblock]

Up next, Mal...

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
Ah Surgeon, they taught you to be mighty scary in toaster school, and oh so effective at making me even more awesome.

Im posting a my turn now because, lets be honest, Im not particularly good at posting when people are waiting for me to.

I should be able to charge Kvatch, assuming I hit Ill pop power strike, and then followup with an offhand attack

With Surgeon's +1 and my charge bonus included:

If the First attack hits, target is prone, and the second attack procs. If the first attack doesn't hit, target not prone, and second attack does not proc. If the first hit doen't kill Kvatch, and the second hits, I will also proc surprising attack (dazed until the end of my next turn) if the second attack doesn't hit, surprise strike is not used.

Nobody touches my [very long sounding elven word that variously translates as shoeshine boy, slave, or golden aardvark] and lives to disrespect me.

Unfazed by the presence of Ches' firestorm, the handaxe protruding from his side, or even Louie's unsuccessful attempts at keeping Mal pinned in, the drow makes his move and take the fight to Kvatch. His first blow lands hard and heavy, chunks of metal and flesh fly as he yanks his battleaxe free and Kvatch is knocked on his rather large rearend. Unfortunately Mal's second swing goes wide as Kvatch falls.

Smash literally squeeks as he scurries backwards from the falling orc, trying to distance himself from the action.

Kvatch eyes Mal. As Ches' flames flicker and die, the rage of an orc scorned is stoked. Kvatch, bleeding now from his wounds, smiles menacingly at Mal as he prepared his response.

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #2 - Kvatch

Initiative
Archer (Bledso)
Surge
Ches
Mal
Kvatch
Falk

PCs
Mal -- AC 18 / Fort 12 / Ref 16 / Will 11 -- 1 AP, 8/8 surges, 11/25 hp
-- +1 AC (Restive Formula), +1 hit, +4 dmg, bloodied
-- +1 hit, +4 dmg
-- +1 hit, +4 dmg
-- +2 hit, +4 dmg

Enemies
Bledso -18 dmg taken, Fear in the ranks, dmg bonus (Kvatch), bloodied
Huey - DEAD
Dewey - DEAD
Louie - Fear in the ranks, dmg bonus (Kvatch)
Kvatch - 44 dmg taken, prone

Pre-Round 1 - Kvatch triggered action: Fear in the Ranks, dmg bonus to allies in burst 3

Round 1

Surge - Magic Weapon, hit, 8 dmg vs. Kvatch, allies +1 hit, +4 dmg until end of next turn, Restive formula on Mal

Ches - Burning Hands - Huey and Dewey killed, 10 dmg Bledso and Kvatch, AP miss vs. Bledso

Louie - charge Mal, hit for 14 dmg

Mal - charge Kvatch, hit for 26 dmg (incl power strike), DWA miss

Kvatch -

Falk -

Round 2

[/sblock]

Up next, Kvatch!

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
Kvatch...

...hefts his bulk back to his feet. Seeing Smash scurring away he callls to Bledso, in orcish, likely telling him to keep the semi-hairless orc from running off. Then, turning back to face Mal, he simply, methodically, reins his glaive in short and with a lunge, attempts to thrust it into the drow. Mal's armor and skin give way to the blade, which cuts its way deep. Kvatch keeps adding pressure until the blood starts to literally pour out of the dark elf, making quite a mess of his otherwise impeccable clothing. Smiling and watching as Mal sinks to the ground, Kvatch looses a short war cry, runs his fingers though Mal's blood, and wipes them across his face. He looks up and points at the group of you. "Next!"

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #2 - Kvatch

Initiative
Archer (Bledso)
Surge
Ches
Mal
Kvatch
Falk

PCs
Mal -- AC 18 / Fort 12 / Ref 16 / Will 11 -- 1 AP, 8/8 surges, -3/25 hp
-- +1 AC (Restive Formula), prone, dying
-- +1 hit, +4 dmg
-- +1 hit, +4 dmg
-- +2 hit, +4 dmg

Enemies
Bledso -18 dmg taken, bloodied
Huey - DEAD
Dewey - DEAD
Louie -
Kvatch - 44 dmg taken

Round 1

Mal - charge Kvatch, hit for 26 dmg (incl power strike), DWA miss

Kvatch - glaive strike vs. Mal, 14 dmg (Mal dying), recharge no-go

Falk -

Round 2

[/sblock]

New Map

Up next: Falk and Bledso

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
GM: how does the restive formula thing work? does the current bonus end? can it be 'popped' by anyone other than Mal? does this mean Surge has no direct means of healing anyone? I'm asking out of ignorance...never seen an artificer in action.

whardell

Explorer
Uh I think its safe to assume that Mal Popped the formula on his turn since he started it bloody. Also given the missed secondary attack and Kvatch not being bloody, AP and attack again, Ap free's Mals actions after a charge, minor to switch to Lurking Spider. Melee Basic with battleaxe. If it hits popping surprise attack.

So Mals turn looks like this in total:

Free Action Pop Formula (10 Temps)
Charge Kvatch, hit, prone
Miss with Offhand
(OH F-Bomb, he's not bloody)
Action Point
Minor - Lurking Spider
Standard - MBA Assume 28 hits
Kvatch Prone, Dazed (from surprise strike)

IF Kvatch is bloodied, Mal stays put (over)confident in his ability to vanquish him, if Kvatch is not bloody
Mal uses his remaining move action to get to E5 (Kvatch is prone and dazed no oa)

Assuming the Kvatch is bloodied and Mal Stays put, Kvatchs attack misses (he's attacking from prone) unless he has an AP or something else I don't know about. If He hit, Mals new hp total is 7. If Mal isn't hit his hp total is 11 w/ 10 temps

***For future reference, if I prepost a turn and in the interim go from full to bloody, please either assume I use a free action to heal (if possible) and continue with my stated action, or assume that I will change my turn. There is no way Mal would have engaged homeslice bloodied and alone, and similarly no way he wouldn't take the AP attack once he saw Kvatch wasn't bloodied/dazed. [I'll try to gin up a Warrens IF-Then statements to allow you to know what I would do]

Last edited:

Phesic

First Post
OOC: Infusion:Curative Formula
Encounter (Special) ♦ Arcane, Healing
Minor ActionClose burst 5 (10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)
Target You or one ally in the burst
Effect The target regains hit points equal to its healing surge value + your Wisdom modifier, and you expend an infusion crafted with your Healing Infusion class feature.

OOC: I get to choose which I use, and at first level, I would also be using Heal to allow others to pop their second wind. But yes, like almost all leaders, i only have 2 heals at first level. The infusion will remain with him until he consciously triggers it or for 5 minutes. It will not drop on dying. No one else can trigger it

larryfinnjr

First Post
OOC: I get to choose which I use, and at first level, I would also be using Heal to allow others to pop their second wind. But yes, like almost all leaders, i only have 2 heals at first level. The infusion will remain with him until he consciously triggers it or for 5 minutes. It will not drop on dying. No one else can trigger it

GM: thanks, phesic, exactly what i was looking for... forgot you had 2 different infusions to pick from, too.

now here is a perfect example of pre-posting gone bad. it now retcons two complete write-ups and breaks the flow of the narrative. i'd rather not have tons of if-thens to weed through. i'm not going to remember them either (you only have your own character to remember - i have maps to make, combat logs to update, etc.).

retcon rules are as follows, barring extrordinary circumstances: if you've posted your turn and the next PC/NPC has since posted, your turn is locked in. PbP is all about narrative and retcons are too interruptive. think of it as simply a bad decision on your character's part, adapt, and overcome.

for now, because i don't want to re-write everything, all i'm ret-conning in for Mal is having popped the infusion and the successful AP. no minor as you needed minor to start turn in AoR. Kvatch still hits, dazed from the prone (not b/c of numbers, but b/c it's a compromise).

to the narrative end, that's what this is about - that's what you now have the ability to do - role play your actions, not just what you say. if you're charging a monster with your sword, describe it; give it life and energy. OOC descriptions of combat actions is what table-top boils down to because of the need to move move move. here, you have time. i (and hopefully everyone else) want to feel your characters. bring them to life.

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #2 - Kvatch

Initiative
Archer (Bledso)
Surge
Ches
Mal
Kvatch
Falk

PCs
Mal -- AC 18 / Fort 12 / Ref 16 / Will 11 -- 1 AP, 8/8 surges, 7/25 hp
-- bloodied
--
--
--

Enemies
Bledso -18 dmg taken, bloodied
Huey - DEAD
Dewey - DEAD
Louie -
Kvatch - 66 dmg taken, prone, dazed (Mal), bloodied

Round 1

Mal - AoR, pop infusion, charge Kvatch, hit for 26 dmg (incl power strike), DWA miss, AP for 22 more dmg

Kvatch - glaive strike vs. Mal, 14 dmg, recharge no-go

Falk -

Round 2
[/sblock]

ret-con map

Kvatch is now prone, dazed, and bloodied (forgot the icon on his token on the map for bloodied). Mal is bloodied. And it's Falk's turn, followed by Bledso. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads