Mercenary Adventures of the B-Team (closed group)

larryfinnjr

First Post
Before slipping under, Ches blinks awake, looking up at Surgeon, "Ow."

Her eyes focus on Bledso, drawn like iron fillings to a lodestone, "That your best shot, pig?! I am not dying in this piss-hole, festering," Ches continues to shout obscenities at the town, Bledso, Bledso's maternal grandmother, the general smell in the air, the nasty gunk in her hair, and so on while bringing herself to her feet. She squares her shoulders, "and furthermore, do you have any idea how painful arrows are?! Do you have any concept of the staggering pain abdominal wounds cause?! My hair is all dirty now..." it trails off into mumbling.

"Lovely weather, don't you think?"

With a gesture, a rain of fire begins to fall around Kvatch and Bledso. Looking dejected at the downpour, Ches slumps to the ground in a fit of tears.

Ches' rain is no more than a sprinkle and both Bledso and Kvatch (even from the ground) are able to avoid the deadly drops. The area around them though is still deadly, giving off noxious fumes and flickers of flame. Ches though is beside herself: never in her career has she had such horrible luck with the gods of fire....

Up next: Mal

larryfinnjr

First Post
**Pre-Post**

Newly invigorated, Mal takes aims to kill Kvatch.

(Still in Lurking Spider)

Main Hand Attack +2 CA, +2 Power Bonus to Damage, +4 From Toaster's Magic Weapon (I assume this is a +4 power bonus that does not stack with my +2)

If Main hand hits off hand (as a free action)

Hit or Miss, Mal retreats to F6

Strike first or die friend Dwarf. Hit hard then return to the shadows. Suffer not the Gnome to live. These are the teachings of my people who lived in places your people dared not delve. [In case you were wondering, that is Drow speak for you have a point good sir and I will indeed keep you between me and the enemy.]

Mal takes another swing at the fallen orc leader but, even prone and reeling from Mal's last attack, his tough armor is able to weather the storm. Mal is certain there must be something supernatural about this creature to be able to avoid such attacks. Sensing Kvatch's impending retribution, Mal retreats to a place behind the group's defender.

GM: edit on Mal's move - he goes behind Falk to E5

Up next: Kvatch!

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post
Kvatch...

...in grandiose slow-motion goodness, rises from the ground, shaking off the lingering cobwebs in his brain from Mal's last onslaught. He watches his prey scamper off to hide behind some dwarf - it appears he may be seeing the rest of the party for the first time. Unpurturbed, he glances back over his shoulder, gives Bledso a barking order, and turns and charges after the drow, striking at him through the dwarf.

[sblock=1st attack] charge w/ reach (glaive) - I looked up in the compendium regarding cover and found this: "neither allies nor enemies give cover against melee, close, or area attacks"; so no protection from cover. However, he is subject to Falk's aura. So the net penalty is -1 hit (-2 from aura, +1 for charge). THIS WAS WHERE I ROLLED THE DICE. Falk swings MBA and connects, triggering Takedown Strike too - technically all this happens before Kvatch's blow lands. So, now he loses the charge bonus for his attack and is attacking from the prone. So now he's got another -3 to the attack at this point, and that brings the roll down to a 22, still a hit on Mal. [/sblock]

Kvatch's blow lands hard and deep, once again slicing into the drow, opening him up like a ripe fruit. This would have brought Kvatch great joy if it weren't for the jolt of pain surging through his skin...somehow the midget harmed him. Adding insult to injury, somehow it also had the termacity to swing at him, catching him squarely in the leg, nearly colllapsing it at the knee. As Falk yanks the axe, he pulls with such force to cause Kvatch even MORE dmg and the knee finally gives way, dropping him to his knees. Though he was soundly determined to decapitate the drow with his next blow, the dwarf manages to distract him long enough to make himself the target of Kvatch's wrath. The orc chokes up on the glaive and brings it across Falk's legs, drawing blood. Even prone, Kvatch nearly lies eye-to-eye with the dwarf, cocking his head to the side and growling at him.

[sblock=2nd attack] The AP Warrior's Surge should only have been +9 to hit (from the prone), but still connects at a 23. [/sblock]

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #2 - Kvatch

Initiative
Archer (Bledso)
Surge
Ches
Blades (Huey, Dewey, and Louie)
Mal
Kvatch
Falk

PCs
Mal -- AC 18 / Fort 12 / Ref 16 / Will 11 -- 0 AP, 8/8 surges (val=6), -1/25 hp
-- prone, dying
Surge -- AC 16 / Fort 15 / Ref 14 / Will 13 -- 0 AP, 10/10 surges (val=7), 30/30 hp
--
Ches -- AC 14 / Fort 12 / Ref 14 / Will 13 -- 0 AP, 8/8 surges (val=6), 6/25 hp
-- prone, bloodied
Falk -- AC 20 / Fort 16 / Ref 13 / Will 10 -- 1 AP, 13/13 surges (val=8) , 20/33 hp
--

Enemies
Bledso -18 dmg taken, bloodied, Fear in the Ranks (dmg bonus)
Huey - DEAD
Dewey - DEAD
Louie - DEAD
Kvatch - 71 dmg taken, bloodied

Pre-Round 1 - Kvatch triggered action: Fear in the Ranks, dmg bonus to allies in burst 3

Round 1

Bledso - longbow vs. Ches, hit, 10 dmg

Surge - Magic Weapon, hit, 8 dmg vs. Kvatch, allies +1 hit, +4 dmg until end of next turn, Restive formula on Mal

Ches - Burning Hands - Huey and Dewey killed, 10 dmg Bledso and Kvatch, AP miss vs. Bledso

Louie - charge Mal, hit for 14 dmg

Mal - AoR, pop infusion, charge Kvatch, hit for 26 dmg (incl power strike), DWA miss, AP for 22 more dmg

Kvatch - glaive strike vs. Mal, 14 dmg, recharge no-go

Falk - split Louie's face open, Louie dead

Round 2

Bledso - moves into Kvatch's Lead by Fear aura, longbow vs. Ches w/ Furious Assault - 15 dmg, Ches at 0 hp

Surge - heal check Ches - success (second wind), healing infusion Mal, AP Scouring Wpn vs. Kvatch - miss

Ches - argent rain vs. Bledso and Kvatch - miss both

Mal - MBA vs. Kvatch, miss, AoS and retreat

Kvatch - stand, recharge Fear in the Ranks, uses on Bledso; charge Mal (takes 4 radiant dmg, Falk makes MBA - hit for 12 dmg + Takedown Strike for 4 more dmg and prone), hit Mal for 15 dmg (Mal dying); AP - Warrior's Surge vs Falk, hit for 13 dmg, Kvatch heals 15 (net loss of 5hp for Kvatch)

Falk -

[/sblock]

New Map

Up next: Falk and Bledso

Last edited:

Blutspitze

Explorer
Kvatch...

[sblock=1st attack] charge w/ reach (glaive) - I looked up in the compendium regarding cover and found this: "neither allies nor enemies give cover against melee, close, or area attacks"; so no protection from cover. However, he is subject to Falk's aura. So the net penalty is -1 hit (-2 from aura, +1 for charge). [/sblock]

OOC: I get to use my Battle Guardian OA when he makes the attack; If it hits then I'd add in Takedown Strike, which prones and adds damage; would that interrupt the damage from the attack? Or does that still happen? The Battle Guardian says that it occurs 'when they shift or make an attack that targets an ally'. Don't know if it means pre or post damage; seems that 'trigger' implies pre, but that's just me. Irregardlessly. Here we go.

Seeing the lame Drow cower behind him, Falk lets out a brief snort.

Good to see you've grown a brain recently. Maybe you'll be able to keep it up a bit more now.

Watching Kvatch run towards him, Falk yanks Carsys from the now neatly severed Louie head and prepares to strike. His eyes narrow as he hold Carsys above his head. Just as Kvatch reaches striking distance, his glaive obviously intended for Mal, Falk brings down the hammer once again, attempting to stop the bad guy in his tracks.

Not on my friend, you don't!!!

OOC: Battle guardian triggers MBA; if it hits I'll use takedown strike (additional 4 and prone) with it, miss it still does Str (4) damage.

Blutspitze

Explorer
Seeing the bloodied Mal lying on the floor beside him, Falk's eyes begin to burn with pure, tiny Dwarven fury. And possibly a hint of jealousy. He tightens his grip on Carsys and faces Kvatch in the eye...

You.... You.... WHO WILL I MOCK NOW?!?!?!?

OOC: Minor - Battle Wrath stance; +2 to Basic Melee damage
Standard - SMACKENZIE!!!!!!! (MBA; if it hits, add Power Attack behind it)
AP and do it again if he's still breathing.

larryfinnjr

First Post
Seeing the bloodied Mal lying on the floor beside him, Falk's eyes begin to burn with pure, tiny Dwarven fury. And possibly a hint of jealousy. He tightens his grip on Carsys and faces Kvatch in the eye...

You.... You.... WHO WILL I MOCK NOW?!?!?!?

Falk's wrath is pure rage, focused into power. He swings at the great orc, only for his blow to land on the spikey bits of Kvatch's shoulder, barely protecting him from a grave wound. Not detered, Falk focuses and swings again, this time connecting and extracting a large chunk of flesh from Kvatch who howl's in agony.

Up next: Bledso

larryfinnjr

First Post
"What the? How...? Aargh..."

Bledso, oh-so-happy to see the drow fall, is now free from his orders to target Mal and reacquire the tiefling. Amazed at her stamina, he salivates as he prepares his third arrow for her. Then he curses as the bow fails to obey his commands. Exasperated, he throws it to the ground and, suddenly insipired, he grabs Smash by the hair, lifts him up with his arm wrenched behind his back, and holds his handaxe to Smash's throat.

"<Orcish gibberish, gibberish!>"

As he waits for your response, he hacks and coughs as the aftereffects of Ches' rain take hold... Smash, too, looks worse, possibly even more susceptible to the fumes due to Ches' burning attacks against him just a few hours ago....

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #2 - Kvatch

Initiative
Archer (Bledso)
Surge
Ches
Blades (Huey, Dewey, and Louie)
Mal
Kvatch
Falk

PCs
Mal -- AC 18 / Fort 12 / Ref 16 / Will 11 -- 0 AP, 8/8 surges (val=6), -1/25 hp
-- prone, dying
Surge -- AC 16 / Fort 15 / Ref 14 / Will 13 -- 0 AP, 10/10 surges (val=7), 30/30 hp
--
Ches -- AC 14 / Fort 12 / Ref 14 / Will 13 -- 0 AP, 8/8 surges (val=6), 6/25 hp
-- prone, bloodied
Falk -- AC 20 / Fort 16 / Ref 13 / Will 10 -- 0 AP, 13/13 surges (val=8) , 20/33 hp
--

Enemies
Bledso -23 dmg taken, bloodied, Fear in the Ranks (dmg bonus)
Huey - DEAD
Dewey - DEAD
Louie - DEAD
Kvatch - 93 dmg taken, bloodied, prone
Smash - bloodied, grabbed by Bledso

Pre-Round 1 - Kvatch triggered action: Fear in the Ranks, dmg bonus to allies in burst 3

Round 1

Bledso - longbow vs. Ches, hit, 10 dmg

Surge - Magic Weapon, hit, 8 dmg vs. Kvatch, allies +1 hit, +4 dmg until end of next turn, Restive formula on Mal

Ches - Burning Hands - Huey and Dewey killed, 10 dmg Bledso and Kvatch, AP miss vs. Bledso

Louie - charge Mal, hit for 14 dmg

Mal - AoR, pop infusion, charge Kvatch, hit for 26 dmg (incl power strike), DWA miss, AP for 22 more dmg

Kvatch - glaive strike vs. Mal, 14 dmg, recharge no-go

Falk - split Louie's face open, Louie dead

Round 2

Bledso - moves into Kvatch's Lead by Fear aura, longbow vs. Ches w/ Furious Assault - 15 dmg, Ches at 0 hp

Surge - heal check Ches - success (second wind), healing infusion Mal, AP Scouring Wpn vs. Kvatch - miss

Ches - argent rain vs. Bledso and Kvatch - miss both

Mal - MBA vs. Kvatch, miss, AoS and retreat

Kvatch - stand, recharge Fear in the Ranks, uses on Bledso; charge Mal (takes 4 radiant dmg, Falk makes MBA - hit for 12 dmg + Takedown Strike for 4 more dmg and prone), hit Mal for 15 dmg (Mal dying); AP - Warrior's Surge vs Falk, hit for 13 dmg, Kvatch heals 15 (net loss of 5hp for Kvatch)

Falk - MBA miss; AP MBA hit for 22 dmg w/ Power Attack

Round 3

Bledso - longbow vs. Ches, miss; grab Smash, drop bow, draw handaxe...takes OG 5 at end of turn (as does Smash, who's vulnerable)

Surge -

Ches -

Mal -

Kvatch -

Falk -

[/sblock]

New Map

Up next: Surge, Ches, and Mal

Last edited:

Phesic

First Post
Surge looks a little puzzled at this turn of events...

Well, well. He seems to want to make it easy for you Ches.
Surge looks down at the heap that is Ches crying on the ground.
You better do something about him, I think he means to kill Mr.Mittens.
Surge steps over her prone form to kneel next to Mal, Smacking him awake.
And you! You call yourself a drow? Get out there and kill things like a real drow.

OOC: Minor:All my talking
Move:E4
Standard:Heal check for Mal's second wind
Free:

larryfinnjr

First Post
Surge looks a little puzzled at this turn of events...

Well, well. He seems to want to make it easy for you Ches.
Surge looks down at the heap that is Ches crying on the ground.
You better do something about him, I think he means to kill Mr.Mittens.
Surge steps over her prone form to kneel next to Mal, Smacking him awake.
And you! You call yourself a drow? Get out there and kill things like a real drow.

Once again, Surgeon is the master of his craft, coaxing Mal's inner reserves to the fore.

Will the party survive? What of Smash? It's a nailbiter, folks!

GM: new map not really needed, Mal's prone and at 6hp, and Ches is up!

trolled

First Post
Tears streaming down her face, Ches whips her head up, her hair slopping mud along Surge's legs. Finding nothing changed, the tears burst forth anew, the sight of this world is almost too much for her. Damn this filthy, piss-washed hamlet and these filthy, piss-washed orcs. Still dejected, Ches raises her left hand, screws up her resolve and intones a prayer to the spirit of Frank.

"Frank, I need your help. I can't believe I'm saying that. I don't cherish asking, but I need that pus-filled stain upon this world to burst into flames and die the most terrible of deaths in all the Nine Hells. I know you can help me, Frank. You helped teach me the intricacies of all manner arcane. Guide my spell, guide this wretch to Cania. I can't bathe until they all die, it all comes crashing down in another pout.

OOC: Standard: Scorching Burst on a square to miss Smash.
Move & Minor: Entire speech
Free: Continue pouting
Free: Arcana

Last edited:

Remove ads