Mercenary Adventures of the B-Team (closed group)

larryfinnjr

First Post
Tears streaming down her face, Ches whips her head up, her hair slopping mud along Surge's legs. Finding nothing changed, the tears burst forth anew, the sight of this world is almost too much for her. Damn this filthy, piss-washed hamlet and these filthy, piss-washed orcs. Still dejected, Ches raises her left hand, screws up her resolve and intones a prayer to the spirit of Frank.

"Frank, I need your help. I can't believe I'm saying that. I don't cherish asking, but I need that pus-filled stain upon this world to burst into flames and die the most terrible of deaths in all the Nine Hells. I know you can help me, Frank. You helped teach me the intricacies of all manner arcane. Guide my spell, guide this wretch to Cania. I can't bathe until they all die, it all comes crashing down in another pout.

More fire rages within the tiefling and she attempts to engulf the hostage-taker Bledso with her infernal flames, but he's simply too quick or just too lucky to feel the burn. Crushed again by failure, Ches falls to the earth, whimpering and 'praying' to Frank Almighty.

In response, The Hand of Frank materializes before the dejected Ches. Gently, it lifts her chin and with the the back of itself, wipes away the tears, brushing her hair back. Then, suddenly, it rises and slaps her full force across the face. Stunned, agape, Ches watches as gives her a thumbs up, pats her on the head, and with a <snap!>, vanishes.

GM: Ches: Hand of Frank +2 power bonus to hit during next attack before the end of this encounter.

No new map needed, no change.

Up next: Mal and Kvatch

whardell

Explorer
I just wanted a bar fight, thats it, I didn't feel the need to kill you. Now unfortunately for you that has changed.

Mal drags himself to the prone orc, time to die.

Crawl to Kvatch. (I believe Aspect of the Spider is still up, if not Ill use that minor)

[Attack with main hand followed by off hand (assuming the first hits)]

larryfinnjr

First Post
I just wanted a bar fight, thats it, I didn't feel the need to kill you. Now unfortunately for you that has changed.

Mal drags himself to the prone orc, time to die.

Crawl to Kvatch. (I believe Aspect of the Spider is still up, if not Ill use that minor)

[Attack with main hand followed by off hand (assuming the first hits)]

Mal lifts his trusty axe high and buries it in Kvatch's chest, blood spraying everywhere. It's a devestating blow, causing Kvatch to return the favor, more reflexively than driven by active thought. Fortunately for Mal, the limp swing barely comes close and the great orc gasps his final, blood-filled breaths. Lolling his head to one side, he fearsom gaze locks with Bledso. With a final gurgle, he commands him: "KILL!" and his movements come to a halt.

[sblock=whew!] Lucky, whardell!!!! MBA hit for exactly his remaining hp and DWA would have missed :) [/sblock]

Bledso readies his axe for a killing blow against Smash.....

[sblock=Combat]
Encounter #2 - Kvatch

Initiative
Archer (Bledso)
Surge
Ches
Blades (Huey, Dewey, and Louie)
Mal
Kvatch
Falk

PCs
Mal -- AC 18 / Fort 12 / Ref 16 / Will 11 -- 0 AP, 8/8 surges (val=6), 6/25 hp
-- prone, bloodied
Surge -- AC 16 / Fort 15 / Ref 14 / Will 13 -- 0 AP, 10/10 surges (val=7), 30/30 hp
--
Ches -- AC 14 / Fort 12 / Ref 14 / Will 13 -- 0 AP, 8/8 surges (val=6), 6/25 hp
-- prone, bloodied
Falk -- AC 20 / Fort 16 / Ref 13 / Will 10 -- 0 AP, 13/13 surges (val=8) , 20/33 hp
--

Enemies
Bledso -23 dmg taken, bloodied
Huey - DEAD
Dewey - DEAD
Louie - DEAD
Kvatch -DEAD
Smash - bloodied, grabbed by Bledso

Pre-Round 1 - Kvatch triggered action: Fear in the Ranks, dmg bonus to allies in burst 3

Round 1

Bledso - longbow vs. Ches, hit, 10 dmg

Surge - Magic Weapon, hit, 8 dmg vs. Kvatch, allies +1 hit, +4 dmg until end of next turn, Restive formula on Mal

Ches - Burning Hands - Huey and Dewey killed, 10 dmg Bledso and Kvatch, AP miss vs. Bledso

Louie - charge Mal, hit for 14 dmg

Mal - AoR, pop infusion, charge Kvatch, hit for 26 dmg (incl power strike), DWA miss, AP for 22 more dmg

Kvatch - glaive strike vs. Mal, 14 dmg, recharge no-go

Falk - split Louie's face open, Louie dead

Round 2

Bledso - moves into Kvatch's Lead by Fear aura, longbow vs. Ches w/ Furious Assault - 15 dmg, Ches at 0 hp

Surge - heal check Ches - success (second wind), healing infusion Mal, AP Scouring Wpn vs. Kvatch - miss

Ches - argent rain vs. Bledso and Kvatch - miss both

Mal - MBA vs. Kvatch, miss, AoS and retreat

Kvatch - stand, recharge Fear in the Ranks, uses on Bledso; charge Mal (takes 4 radiant dmg, Falk makes MBA - hit for 12 dmg + Takedown Strike for 4 more dmg and prone), hit Mal for 15 dmg (Mal dying); AP - Warrior's Surge vs Falk, hit for 13 dmg, Kvatch heals 15 (net loss of 5hp for Kvatch)

Falk - MBA miss; AP MBA hit for 22 dmg w/ Power Attack

Round 3

Bledso - longbow vs. Ches, miss; grab Smash, drop bow, draw handaxe...takes OG 5 at end of turn (as does Smash, who's vulnerable)

Surge - heal check Mal - success (second wind)

Ches - Scorching burst vs Bledso, miss

Mal - crawl to Kvatch, MBA hit for 17 dmg - Kvatch dead, proc killing blow vs. Mal (at -2 hit), miss

Falk -

[/sblock]

New Map

Up Next: Can/Will Falk save the soon-to-be-ex-orc?

Last edited:

whardell

Explorer
Listen, I just killed Kvatch for threatening Smash, what do you think I, and my friends here will do to you for killing him. Run along now, leave Smash, and live free or I promise you, I will get up, and maim you in ways that will shame your ancestors and then I will nurse you back to health and sell you to a gnomish orphanage to do with as they please.

larryfinnjr

First Post
Listen, I just killed Kvatch for threatening Smash, what do you think I, and my friends here will do to you for killing him. Run along now, leave Smash, and live free or I promise you, I will get up, and maim you in ways that will shame your ancestors and then I will nurse you back to health and sell you to a gnomish orphanage to do with as they please.

As Mal lies bleeding all over the place, covered in the newly released viscera of one now-departed Kvatch, Bledso takes in the scene, listening to the drow mumble. If only Bledso understood King's a little better, he might realize the threat just leveled at him.

[sblock=stunts] This is basically a stunt. It's not Mal's turn. But throw a roll in along with something like this, and who knows what could happen. In my mind, I had planned that if he hit the high DC (because he doesn't really look all the intimidating right now and it's not even his turn), I was going to have a small amount of indecision creep in and have Bledso grant combat advantage until the next attack. Failure (even with Mal's 3), doesn't confer any special penalty. So stunts are always worth the try, so long as they're role played, not overused, and make sense. [/sblock]

Up next: What's Falk gonna do? .....

Last edited:

Phesic

First Post
Surge looks from Bledso back to Falk, a grim look on his face. He doesn't want to lose a potential resource to stupidity. Speaking directly to Falk, he says
Might I suggest rapid acceleration followed with a forceful impact the the solar plexus to extricate our ally from this erstwhile archer.

Blutspitze

Explorer
Surge looks from Bledso back to Falk, a grim look on his face. He doesn't want to lose a potential resource to stupidity. Speaking directly to Falk, he says
Might I suggest rapid acceleration followed with a forceful impact the the solar plexus to extricate our ally from this erstwhile archer.

Falk looks to Toaster, slightly bewildered. His angry eyes now large with utter confusion, his face long, obviously attempting to comprehend. He begins stroking his massive beard.

A rapid who in the whatnow? Look, I think one of your bolts is loose. You obviously don't know what you're talking about. *sigh*... If only you were Dwarven work.... We wouldn't have these problems with you...

Falk readies Carsys, his look of rage back in full force

I'm just going to run up really fast and go hit him in the gut. That should make him let go of our friend. Not all that fancy whatever you say I should do.

He looks briefly to Mal...

Note to you, good sir. Bleeding out on the ground doesn't make for a good spot to try to intimidate someone. Try something else. Like this.

With his last line, Falk lifts Carsys above his head, looking directly at Bledso, the fire in his eyes... He plants his right foot and takes off in a speeding run of pure dwarven rage.

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

As he reaches Bledso, he brings down the hammer once again, directly upon his poor orcish skull.

OOC: Move and Minor to talk/overcome confusion
Standard charge against Bledso to K3; Intimidation during the charge to try to make him crap himself or something equivalent thereto

OOC: HAHA Intimidate fail, Charge WIN!!!!
And pay no mind to the CA; I didn't see my autocomplete had added that.

Last edited:

larryfinnjr

First Post

He looks briefly to Mal...

Note to you, good sir. Bleeding out on the ground doesn't make for a good spot to try to intimidate someone. Try something else. Like this.

With his last line, Falk lifts Carsys above his head, looking directly at Bledso, the fire in his eyes... He plants his right foot and takes off in a speeding run of pure dwarven rage.

GAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

As he reaches Bledso, he brings down the hammer once again, directly upon his poor orcish skull.

The overall effect is amazing. The mad midget blasts off with mighty speed toward Bledso, whose eyes go wide, part with amusement, part with wonder. And then the blow lands. For a moment, all is still and onlookers hush with expectant awe. It seems as if Falk simply ran through the orc, or maybe between its legs. But when the blood begins to flow, it finally becomes obvious what has happened: the dwarf DID run the orc through, actually separating torso from waist. Bledo's upper body teeters for a second, then tips over along Falk's head, flips end over end, and lands head first at its own feet, which also crumple and collapse on the disguisting pile of flesh and bone formerly known as Bledso.

Smash, for his part, is near frozen with fear, as are others in the crowd. A few dash off, likely to spread the word of what just happened: Captain Kvatch and his personal guard are all dead at the hands of the non-orc-newcomers. But others start to cheer, and a roar of excitement begins to engulf the onlookers. Smash, zombie-like, simply walks over to bloody Mal and lifts him up from the fallen Kvatch. Then, servant-like, he kneels on both knees and puts his nose to the dirt at Mal's feet. Coughing, he struggles with King's. "I yours now. Others too. We's sharvik. What's you wants me do?" Smash is still wounded from your original battle w/ Kvatch, not to mention the large portion of his scalp showing from where Kvatch ripped his hair away.

Surgeon, always interested in the recently fallen, takes in a good look at Kvatch. His eye patch has flipped up, exposing what appears to be a large black opal set in a ruined eye socket. Maybe it was used to intimidate others? Or just a good hiding place for personal treasure? In addition, obvious to both Surgeon and Ches, Kvatch's armor, while mostly a patchwork of plate and scale armors scavanged likely from fallen kills, resonates with arcane powers.

GM: More to follow this after a response or two from the party...but feel free to direct the story, too. Remember, your discussions with Stump were basically interrupted by this fight.

larryfinnjr

First Post
[sblock=XP, AP, and hp]
Mal -- 1 AP, 7/8 surges (val=6), 25/25 hp

Surge -- 1 AP, 6/10 surges (val=7), 30/30 hp

Ches -- 1 AP, 7/8 surges (val=6), 23/25 hp

Falk -- 1 AP, 12/13 surges (val=8) , 32/33 hp

632 xp encounter, plus 140 for 1st Hatchet encounter = 194 xp per character.

1AP earned.

Characters healed at surge +1d6 each (rolled off camera). Surge spent 2 of his own surges to heal everyone, plus 1 each for Mal, Ches, and Falk. Surge then spent 2 more surges to refill infusions. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Phesic

First Post
[sblock=XP, AP, and hp]
Mal -- 1 AP, 7/8 surges (val=6), 25/25 hp

Surge -- 1 AP, 6/10 surges (val=7), 30/30 hp

Ches -- 1 AP, 7/8 surges (val=6), 23/25 hp

Falk -- 1 AP, 12/13 surges (val=8) , 32/33 hp

632 xp encounter, plus 140 for 1st Hatchet encounter = 194 xp per character.

1AP earned.

Characters healed at surge +1d6 each (rolled off camera). Surge spent 2 of his own surges to heal everyone, plus 1 each for Mal, Ches, and Falk. Surge then spent 2 more surges to refill infusions. [/sblock]

OOC: I can use anyone's healing surges to refill my infusions, they don't have to be mine. so you can spread the surges around pretty evenly.

Remove ads