D&D 5E [Merged] Candlekeep Mysteries Author Speaks Out On WotC's Cuts To Adventure

In an event which is being referred to as #PanzerCut, one of the Candlekeep Mysteries authors has gone public with complaints about how their adventure was edited. Book of Cylinders is one of the adventures in the book. It was written by Graeme Barber (who goes by the username PoCGamer on social media). Barber was caught by surprise when he found out what the final adventure looked like...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an event which is being referred to as #PanzerCut, one of the Candlekeep Mysteries authors has gone public with complaints about how their adventure was edited.

hqdefault.jpg

Book of Cylinders is one of the adventures in the book. It was written by Graeme Barber (who goes by the usernames PanzerLion and PoCGamer on social media).

Barber was caught by surprise when he found out what the final adventure looked like. The adventure was reduced by about a third, and his playable race -- the Grippli -- was cut. Additionally, WotC inserted some terminology that he considered to be colonialist, which is one of the things they were ostensibly trying to avoid by recruiting a diverse team of authors for the book.

His complaints also reference the lack of communication during the editing process, and how he did public interviews unknowingly talking about elements of an adventure which no longer existed.

"I wrote for [Candlekeep Mysteries], the recent [D&D] release. Things went sideways. The key issues were that the bulk of the lore and a lot of the cultural information that made my adventure "mine" were stripped out. And this was done without any interaction with me, leaving me holding the bag as I misled the public on the contents and aspects of my adventure. Yes, it was work-for-hire freelance writing, but the whole purpose was to bring in fresh voices and new perspectives.

So, when I read my adventure, this happened. This was effectively the shock phase of it all.

Then I moved onto processing what had happened. ~1300 words cut, and without the cut lore, the gravity of the adventure, and its connections to things are gravely watered down. Also "primitive" was inserted.

Then the aftermath of it all. The adventure that came out was a watered down version of what went in, that didn't reflect me anymore as a writer or creator. Which flew in the face of the spirit of the project as had been explained to me.

So then I wrote. Things don't change unless people know what's up and can engage with things in a prepared way. So I broke down the process of writing for Wizards I'd experienced, and developed some rules that can be used to avoid what happened to me."

He recounts his experiences in two blog posts:

The author later added "Wizards owns all the material sent in, and does not publish unedited adventures on the DM Guild, so there will be no "PanzerCut". I have respectfully requested that my name be removed from future printings. "

DM Magic

Adventurer
We've used primal while camping. Normally in context if fire and cooking what you kill.
Primal I can see come up, given the context. But no one walks around saying, "Ah, yes. Here we are at the campsite. Why, take a look at those primitive tents! And the primitive general store made from logs! Oops, excuse me, I have to go take a dump in that primitive outhouse."

But white people often do -- and in great numbers -- remark on how primitive indigenous people are, along with their art, dwellings, and culture.

Zardnaar

Legend
Primal I can see come up, given the context. But no one walks around saying, "Ah, yes. Here we are at the campsite. Why, take a look at those primitive tents! And the primitive general store made from logs! Oops, excuse me, I have to go take a dump in that primitive outhouse."

But white people often do -- and in great numbers -- remark on how primitive indigenous people are, along with their art, dwellings, and culture.

It's just a word and it's not even that negative.

It can be used that way but so can lots if words.

The camping thing has been mentioned I've seen it used in reference's to refugee camps and facilities at camp sites.

In the context of the adventure and how it was used it's fine imho.

Might also vary by what country you're from. Not sure if Americans use long drops but we do here and yeah guess what word get used.

I mean, I'd wager the Native Americans would disagree, given that they were termed primitive and then had the government and missionaries actively try destroying their culture through "Residential schools". Or Africans who heard how they were to be "civilized" by white colonizers. I'm not sure how this is even an argument anymore.

But "primitive" has much less usage in day-to-day speech compared to anthropological and sociological vocations.

The camping thing has been mentioned I've seen it used in reference's to refugee camps and facilities at camp sites.

I can think of only a few times when it's been used, and generally speaking it's never used as a positive (or by ESL speakers who don't realize how awkward it sounds).

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
There was an initial back-and-forth where the idea was submitted and revised. What came out of that is what was written; not more, nor less. If you haven't yet, you should read his blog posts about this.

I read it. A big portion of his posts are pointing out how much material was cut, and I think WotC was well within their rights to do so; the problem there seemed to be largely that PanzerLion went into the project with very different expectations than what WotC intended.

Now, the adding of language like "primitive" and other content meant to make the Grippli look more uncivilized, that is a much more fair criticism and one that WotC should be roasted for.

I read it. A big portion of his posts are pointing out how much material was cut, and I think WotC was well within their rights to do so; the problem there seemed to be largely that PanzerLion went into the project with very different expectations than what WotC intended.

Sure, WOTC has the right, but it also has (given how people have talked about the adventure) seemed to have lead to a poorer adventure overall. I know you brought up Matt Colville's talk about lore and such, but while that's not bad advice normally I think it applies less to the concept of mysteries, especially in adventures. Mysteries are about solving things or discovering things, and generally speaking you need lore to help do that. Taking out the lore takes out a lot of the point of the mystery in the first place.

Urriak Uruk

Here are three definitions of primitive (thanks Oxford!):

1. relating to, denoting, or preserving the character of an early stage in the evolutionary or historical development of something. "primitive mammals."
2. having a quality or style that offers an extremely basic level of comfort, convenience, or efficiency. "the accommodations at the camp were a bit primitive."
3. a person belonging to a preliterate, nonindustrial society. "reports of travelers and missionaries described contemporary primitives."

I agree that not every usage of that word is insulting, but when used against a specific group or culture, yes it is pretty insulting.

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean, I'd wager the Native Americans would disagree, given that they were termed primitive and then had the government and missionaries actively try destroying their culture through "Residential schools". Or Africans who heard how they were to be "civilized" by white colonizers. I'm not sure how this is even an argument anymore.

But "primitive" has much less usage in day-to-day speech compared to anthropological and sociological vocations.

I can think of only a few times when it's been used, and generally speaking it's never used as a positive (or by ESL speakers who don't realize how awkward it sounds).

People put dictionary definitions earlier.

And context it wasn't used in game in real world culture or even fantasy culture.

At that point you're really looking to be offended. Context, nuance etc.

Zardnaar

Legend
Here are three definitions of primitive (thanks Oxford!):

1. relating to, denoting, or preserving the character of an early stage in the evolutionary or historical development of something. "primitive mammals."
2. having a quality or style that offers an extremely basic level of comfort, convenience, or efficiency. "the accommodations at the camp were a bit primitive."
3. a person belonging to a preliterate, nonindustrial society. "reports of travelers and missionaries described contemporary primitives."

I agree that not every usage of that word is insulting, but when used against a specific group or culture, yes it is pretty insulting.

I agree with the specific culture thing. It wasn't used in that context though.

Wasn't even used on a fantasy culture in that context.

Scribe

Legend

I'm trying to think of the last time I said 'primitive', and even in a camping setting I would use 'rough' or bare bones, or basic, before I would think to use primitive.

Urriak Uruk

I agree with the specific culture thing. It wasn't used in that context though.

Wasn't even used on a fantasy culture in that context.

I have not gotten my text of the adventure yet, so I in fairness do not know how it was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads