D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

I think there's reason to believe it'll have that. 5 levels, plus enough monsters to mix and remix to get that XP, and it would be hard to imagine it not lasting at least that long.

Part of the awesome thing about D&D is that it's dense. Those bits of character and world info provide a LOT of replayability.

We got far more than 5 months from the black box, back in 90's. Actually, we probably got some years out of it. And that was before the internet. I mean, before you could go online and find a lot of additional support material to use with it. As long as there's some cool monsters and rules for character creation, I expect a group of players to get more from their starter set than a single 1-5 run.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
I got the image from amazon.com, they have updated the items with higher resolution images. I still think they are mockups though, or the graphics on them are mockups. The art is probably what they wanted. ;)

I'm not thrilled with the covers either but since they're the same on the WOTC site I'm pretty sure they're final.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Heh. These $50 core books are certainly not "loss leaders". :)

To me, the most shocking thing about these announcements is that WotC FARMED OUT their premiere adventures! Wow!

I was wondering if they'd be able to do quality adventures, and I guess the answer is "no!" Kobold Press, of course, is a fabulous choice to do adventures, so they'll very likely be great, but I wonder if this will be a pattern whereby WotC farms out everything that's not core (and, thus, the biggest sellers).

It will be fascinating to watch.

fjw70

Adventurer

To me, the most shocking thing about these announcements is that WotC FARMED OUT their premiere adventures! Wow!

I was wondering if they'd be able to do quality adventures, and I guess the answer is "no!" Kobold Press, of course, is a fabulous choice to do adventures, so they'll very likely be great, but I wonder if this will be a pattern whereby WotC farms out everything that's not core (and, thus, the biggest sellers).

I was wondering is they did this since their people were busy working on the rulebooks or because they feel they need to outsource since they don't have the core competency for adventure writing.

DM Howard

Explorer
It all looks pretty good to me. I understand the need to not mess up the three core books with all the Errata and everything, but I am still sorely bummed that the three books won't be out all together.

Jack99

Adventurer

Indeed, very interesting. And in my book, a win for those of us who want to buy D&D adventures, but might feel underwhelmed at times by WotC's efforts in the field. With that said, it is very likely it is only for the first couple of adventures, simply because all resources have been devoted to the core books, and when those are done, the resources are funneled into writing adventures.

I'd still get it even at the advertised prices, though I suspect that Canadian stores aren't going to be selling it at $57, they might go down to $55 or to the American amount in Canadian dollars, or even lower than that. In August I'll be curious to see how much the gaming stores will sell it at, and how much Chapters might sell it at and how they would both compare to Amazon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads